Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/5/2003 9:41:04 AM EDT
I'm looking for feedback on the Beretta NEOS. How is it overall? Does market price seem appropriate? How does it compare with similarly priced .22 hunadguns. I lean towards the Ruger Mark series for function, but asthetics leave much to be desired. The Walther P-22 has the looks, but not the best track record off the line.

What say you?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:17:13 PM EDT
From what I've seen, dealers can't give them away. They look cheap, feel cheap.

I urge you to get a Browning Buckmark.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:31:46 PM EDT
Browning Buckmark?
How is it?
How much is it?
What made you choose it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:44:07 AM EDT
Mine works great, I love the function, the ergonomics, the look, and it has run nearly flawlessly (Thousands of rounds through it with only a few FTEs and I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find). It is more accurate than I am and if you plan to mount any optics to the gun it is obviously far superior to the Mark II or Buckmark. As far as cleaning goes, I have never had a gun easier to clean. Even my Glock is more of a hassle than this gun.

With no offense to BobCole, I would suggest you only listen to those who actually own one. .22s end up having the Chevy vs. Ford kind of debate attached to them and opinions have been formed and will not change.

BTW - I have a Ruger Mk II as well and although I like the pistol a lot I like my NEOS much better. Loading the magazines is soooooo much easier on the fingers that I pretty much don't shoot the Mk II anymore, if you have ever loaded many Mk II magazines you know what I am talking about. The magazine release is also much more convienent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
Beretta builds some of the best guns in the world. Their 9mm pistols are great guns and they make some other guns that are the best money can buy.

Whoever designed the NEOS is an idiot. This thing is a real POS. It is hard to believe that Beretta would put their name on something like this.

The cheapest Ruger or Browning is light years ahead of this junk in quality anyway you look at it.

Those that assume that a High Point or a Jennings is a quality gun would also assume that the NEOS is quality but people such as this should stay out of adult conversations.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:54:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By az-gunner:
The Walther P-22 has the looks, but not the best track record off the line.

The P-22 had a lot of problems with mags in their early production run.

Later pistols are much better and I know of several recent production P-22 pistols that are very reliable.

I bought one for my wife and it ran good with decent ammo. No auto will work with junk ammo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:54:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By az-gunner:
Browning Buckmark?
Yep. There's several models made, you should find one you like.

How is it?
Best .22 on the market except for the expensive S&W Model 41, IMO.

How much is it?
You'll find them in the low $200s, usually $225 or so.

What made you choose it?
Combination of perfect balance in my hand & high quality for the $$$. A combination not always found together, IMO.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 11:58:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rickyj:
With no offense to BobCole, I would suggest you only listen to those who actually own one.

One does not have to "own" a gun to know if it's ok or not. I've never had a sharp stick in the eye but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like it either.

Sales tell the story on guns, IMO. And the Neo's are probably dead last in that one. I'm not saying they're a POS, I'm saying no one wants nor buys one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:26:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cornbread2:
Those that assume that a High Point or a Jennings is a quality gun would also assume that the NEOS is quality but people such as this should stay out of adult conversations.

You really don't have much of a life do you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2003 3:40:29 PM EDT by Rickyj]

Originally Posted By BobCole:

With no offense to BobCole, I would suggest you only listen to those who actually own one.

One does not have to "own" a gun to know if it's ok or not. I've never had a sharp stick in the eye but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like it either.

Sales tell the story on guns, IMO. And the Neo's are probably dead last in that one. I'm not saying they're a POS, I'm saying no one wants nor buys one.

You don't have to actually own one, but have you at least shot one? Come on man, making an across the board statement about a gun that you have never shot is pretty absurd.

As far as the "stick in the eye" example, at least use something semi relevant. It is akin to saying it is okay to hate the Jews because it would suck to get shot, or that Fords suck because the earth is round.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:39:02 PM EDT
As far as the NEOS goes I think you will find most of those people who are sure they are crap have not fired one at all. At least check one out if you are interested, I'll let you shoot mine if you are up in Colorado sometime. Everyone who has shot mine has loved it and thinks it is nicer to shoot than my Mk II. I have never shot the Buckmark, and while I am sure it is a fine gun, so is the NEOS.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:26:50 PM EDT

Come on man, making an across the board statement about a gun that you have never shot is pretty absurd.

If you believe that silliness then I'll sell you all the Lorcins you can buy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:45:34 PM EDT
I hate to interrupt this pissing match with some actual experience, but feel free to just keep urinating.

I've put about 500 rounds through my NEOS. It points well, feels decent in my hand, has reasonable ergonomics, and an absolutely crappy trigger that was obviously designed by someone with a fear of lawsuits.

There is a procedure posted on Rimfire Central for cleaning up the trigger pull, but it is not for the faint of heart. As of yet there are no aftermarklet replacement triggers for the gun; if there were it would a "must have" upgrade for the gun.

You may now return to your pointless arguing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:26:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DavidC:
I hate to interrupt this pissing match with some actual experience, but feel free to just keep urinating.

I've put about 500 rounds through my NEOS. It points well, feels decent in my hand, has reasonable ergonomics, and an absolutely crappy trigger that was obviously designed by someone with a fear of lawsuits.

There is a procedure posted on Rimfire Central for cleaning up the trigger pull, but it is not for the faint of heart. As of yet there are no aftermarklet replacement triggers for the gun; if there were it would a "must have" upgrade for the gun.

You may now return to your pointless arguing.

Hey I have some actual experience, I own one of the guns. And yes the gun has a trigger that leaves something to be desired. The way the trigger is set up I would not want to mess with it at all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:31:30 PM EDT

The way the trigger is set up I would not want to mess with it at all.

I'd say that's the only real issue with the gun. If they ever ship the carbine conversion the "cool factor" might outweigh the poor trigger, but it would be a very close call.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:12:53 AM EDT
Poster: "Anyone have any experience with gun-X?"

Reply #1: "Not really, but I think it's pure crap"

Reply #2: "Yes, god himself designed it, it's fabulous and makes me orgasm when I shoot it"

Reply #3: "No, but I have a different gun"

You guys crack me up. Gun people really are quite insane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:47:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
Poster: "Anyone have any experience with gun-X?"

Reply #1: "Not really, but I think it's pure crap"

Reply #2: "Yes, god himself designed it, it's fabulous and makes me orgasm when I shoot it"

Reply #3: "No, but I have a different gun"

You guys crack me up. Gun people really are quite insane.

You tell 'em man, those retards had it coming. Hey wait! #2 is supposed to be me isn't it you son of a bitch?

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:29:58 AM EDT
There is one thing I may have overlooked.

In Ricky's case it is possible that HIS NEOS is perfect in every way.

He tends to get very different examples of factory pistols than the rest of us.

According to him he owns a Jennings .22 auto with a firing pin lock.

Since it is a one of a kind it could be worth something to a collector. If there is a such thing as a Jennings collector.

Ricky could be a rich man someday.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:39:05 AM EDT

From what I've seen, dealers can't give them away. They look cheap, feel cheap.

They don't sell well because of the way they look and "feel" and the terrible trigger.

Even if they were high quality pistols dealers would find it hard to sell them.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:22:48 AM EDT

There is one thing I may have overlooked.

In Ricky's case it is possible that HIS NEOS is perfect in every way.

He tends to get very different examples of factory pistols than the rest of us.

According to him he owns a Jennings .22 auto with a firing pin lock.

Since it is a one of a kind it could be worth something to a collector. If there is a such thing as a Jennings collector.

Ricky could be a rich man someday.

At first I thought you were just an ass, now I seriously feel sorry for you. Yes you are 100% right, my NEOS is totally different than production, and my Jennings has a firing pin lock, and it can fire underwater too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2003 10:10:17 AM EDT by HardShell]

...Sales tell the story on guns, IMO. And the Neo's are probably dead last in that one. I'm not saying they're a POS, I'm saying no one wants nor buys one.

No disrespect, but by that reasoning Jennings/Lorcins/etc. would be the finest handguns out there becuase IIRC they far outsell the more expensive handguns we tend to prefer.

Back on topic: I was drawn to this thread hoping to hear from folks who own/shoot these new .22s. I am a fan of Berettas in general and have several, but not a .22. I have several .22 semi-auto handguns (Ruger, S&W, Colt, Browning, and some cheap ones I wouldn't admit here ) and tend to shoot them more than anything else (fun + cheap-to-shoot = frequent use!). I've been tempted to buy a NEOS a few times already (I like the way it feels in my hand), but I'd really like to hear some first-hand experiences from owners first. I'm sort of vacillating between it and the little Walther.

edited to add:
I just realized the problem: the thread is titled "opinions on the Beretta NEOS" - it should have been "experiences with the Beretta NEOS"
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 10:58:51 AM EDT

At first I thought you were just an ass, now I seriously feel sorry for you. Yes you are 100% right, my NEOS is totally different than production, and my Jennings has a firing pin lock, and it can fire underwater too.

In another thread you posted that YOUR Jennings 22 has a firing pin lock.

These are a few things that can be understood from your post.

First YOUR Jennings could have a firing pin lock no matter if all the rest do not.

Your pistol could be a semi custom modified by a gunsmith to include a firing pin lock. That could be true but I don't think so.

Your Jennings could also be EXACTLY like all the rest of the damn things ever made and it does not have such a part.

From all your posts I am more likely to believe you are not capable of understanding the simple design of this POS and you only ASSUME it has a firing pin lock.

And I am sure it could fire under water. One time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/7/2003 4:32:46 PM EDT by Rickyj]

Originally Posted By HardShell:

...Sales tell the story on guns, IMO. And the Neo's are probably dead last in that one. I'm not saying they're a POS, I'm saying no one wants nor buys one.

No disrespect, but by that reasoning Jennings/Lorcins/etc. would be the finest handguns out there becuase IIRC they far outsell the more expensive handguns we tend to prefer.

Now, now. Using logic in a pissing match is strictly forbidden.

Back on topic: I was drawn to this thread hoping to hear from folks who own/shoot these new .22s. I am a fan of Berettas in general and have several, but not a .22. I have several .22 semi-auto handguns (Ruger, S&W, Colt, Browning, and some cheap ones I wouldn't admit here ) and tend to shoot them more than anything else (fun + cheap-to-shoot = frequent use!). I've been tempted to buy a NEOS a few times already (I like the way it feels in my hand), but I'd really like to hear some first-hand experiences from owners first. I'm sort of vacillating between it and the little Walther.

edited to add:
I just realized the problem: the thread is titled "opinions on the Beretta NEOS" - it should have been "experiences with the Beretta NEOS"

Both of the posters that own one, DavidC and myself, seem to like it. I think the trigger could be better, although I don't think it is horrible. Everything else seems to work pretty well so far. If you have any specific questions about the NEOS please feel free to ask me.

Edited to add, for the most part I just use my NEOS as a plinker, and I don't shoot competitively or anything so I might just not notice how bad the trigger is. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:29:43 PM EDT

In another thread you posted that YOUR Jennings 22 has a firing pin lock.

These are a few things that can be understood from your post.

First YOUR Jennings could have a firing pin lock no matter if all the rest do not.

Your pistol could be a semi custom modified by a gunsmith to include a firing pin lock. That could be true but I don't think so.

Your Jennings could also be EXACTLY like all the rest of the damn things ever made and it does not have such a part.

From all your posts I am more likely to believe you are not capable of understanding the simple design of this POS and you only ASSUME it has a firing pin lock.

And I am sure it could fire under water. One time.

I don't know where you get these things but that is not what I said. In any case this is pretty disrespectful to the thread author, az-gunner, and does not belong in this thread. You seem to follow me around and post such nonsense in others peoples threads, which I am sure is less pleasant to read to everybody else than it is for me. So if you feel you need to solve whatever "problem" it is you have with me at least have the respect to bring it to a different thread, where everybody who wants to read about the actual topic can do so without your bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:05:16 PM EDT

Even if they were high quality pistols dealers would find it hard to sell them.

Quality sells, IMO. Neos don't sell so draw one's own conclusions, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:07:41 PM EDT

now I seriously feel sorry for you.

and my Jennings has a firing pin lock, and it can fire underwater too.

Looks like we have another Mall Ninja on the loose.

If you own a Jennings, then we feel sorry for YOU.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:51:28 PM EDT

now I seriously feel sorry for you.

and my Jennings has a firing pin lock, and it can fire underwater too.

Looks like we have another Mall Ninja on the loose.

If you own a Jennings, then we feel sorry for YOU.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:45:57 AM EDT
If you want to know people's experiences about the NEOS, go to:

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

People on that forum and others I have seen talk about how hard it is to find one. I guess they are selling, except for that one little poorly lit pawnshop that you-know-who shops at. j/k
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:27:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -GKR-Barbie:
I guess they are selling, except for that one little poorly lit pawnshop that you-know-who shops at. j/k

If you are referring to me, allow me to set your mind at ease.

I've worked gunshops and/or gun stores for almost 20 years. I've sold hundreds of handguns, all types, all prices, new & used.

I've never ONCE sold a NEO or have seen one bought.

You do the math, bub.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:33:42 PM EDT
WARNING: Relevant Post
I have owned a NEOS for about 10 months and have run about 1000 rounds of CCI, Federal and Winchester high-velocity ammo through it without a single hiccup. The thing points naturally for me and is a snap to clean (you don't have to remove your optics). Even with the heavy trigger it is at least as accurate as my Sig p228, which is as accurate as I need it to be. As far as sales are concerned, they were going like hotcakes when I bought mine. It may have just been the early adopter rush, but while I'm filling out the paperwork a guy comes in looking for that very pistol (4.5" inox). He'd apparently been looking at it earlier and had decided to shop around. Snoozed, lost.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:33:07 AM EDT
I'm aiming to pick up the 6" black NEOS in the next few weeks. The trigger sounds like the only major flaw, and there's info all over the net (rimfirecentral,etc) on cleaning that up. Heck, I liked it from the moment I saw it. It's mighty James Bond Kill-O-Blast Raygun looking, and it's the first gun my girlfriend has ever expressed major interest in shooting. I'll feel a little better about it when spare parts and accessories start shipping though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:34:43 AM EDT

I guess they are selling, except for that one little poorly lit pawnshop that you-know-who shops at. j/k

If you are referring to me, allow me to set your mind at ease.

I've worked gunshops and/or gun stores for almost 20 years. I've sold hundreds of handguns, all types, all prices, new & used.

I've never ONCE sold a NEO or have seen one bought.

You do the math, bub.

Well since the NEOS has been on sale for less than a year, your 20 years of NEOS sales experience is irrelevent. And it may be true that they do not sell in Tennessee (where you reside), but that does not mean it is a universal truth.

Perhaps 20 years of working at a gunshop has dulled your keen observation skills. I am a woman--hence the name Barbie--or do people in TN call women "Bub?"

Dude! Lighten up!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:16:09 AM EDT

Well since the NEOS has been on sale for less than a year, your 20 years of NEOS sales experience is irrelevent.
I don't believe that's correct. I think they've been out a bit longer than that.

And it may be true that they do not sell in Tennessee (where you reside), but that does not mean it is a universal truth.
Madam, this a gun forum. There are NO "universal truths" in here, it's almost all opinions.

Perhaps 20 years of working at a gunshop has dulled your keen observation skills.
They never were too sharp.

I am a woman--hence the name Barbie--or do people in TN call women "Bub?"
If you say so. This IS the internet, after all. One can say they're Cindy Crawford too, doesn't mean it's real.

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:52:12 PM EDT

Well since the NEOS has been on sale for less than a year, your 20 years of NEOS sales experience is irrelevent.
I don't believe that's correct. I think they've been out a bit longer than that.

And it may be true that they do not sell in Tennessee (where you reside), but that does not mean it is a universal truth.
Madam, this a gun forum. There are NO "universal truths" in here, it's almost all opinions.

Perhaps 20 years of working at a gunshop has dulled your keen observation skills.
They never were too sharp.

I am a woman--hence the name Barbie--or do people in TN call women "Bub?"
If you say so. This IS the internet, after all. One can say they're Cindy Crawford too, doesn't mean it's real.

Hahahahaha! See Bob, I knew you had a sense of humor. :)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:47:58 PM EDT
Hey BobCole! Guess what? I went out this weekend and bought a NEOS. It is a fun gun. I put a TASCO red dot on it and shot 200 or so rounds. It functioned perfectly. The trigger was a little gritty to begin with but quickly got smoother. Two thumbs up!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:55:03 PM EDT
It lasted the ENTIRE 200 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I was wrong.

But then again a Jennings will do that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:45:31 PM EDT

Hey BobCole! Guess what? I went out this weekend and bought a NEOS.

You bought more than one?????
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:43:31 PM EDT

Hey BobCole! Guess what? I went out this weekend and bought a NEOS. It is a fun gun. I put a TASCO red dot on it and shot 200 or so rounds. It functioned perfectly. The trigger was a little gritty to begin with but quickly got smoother. Two thumbs up!

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, they really are pretty good pistols IMHO.

So az-gunner, what is the story? Did you buy a .22 yet or what?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:20:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2003 11:25:09 PM EDT by az-gunner]

So az-gunner, what is the story? Did you buy a .22 yet or what?

-Or what

I had my eye on a Neos. I wasn't familiar with it, enough to buy it. I dragged my feet, and someone else picked it up. I wasn't in the market for a .22. I just happened to find a good used price, and though it was worth looking into. The opportunity has passed, as well as my interest in a .22, for now. I have another project to tap my leisure funds. In the mean time, my Advantage Arms conversion kit for my Glock, is sufficient. Thanks all for the opinions. After all that, I'm not buying a Beretta, Ruger, Walther, Browning or Jennings. The .22 will have to be a purchase for another time.

So, what are your opinions on beer?
Tastes great?
OR
Less filling?

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:24:38 AM EDT

Hey BobCole! Guess what? I went out this weekend and bought a NEOS.

You bought more than one?????

Huh? I just got the one.

AZGunner--Tastes great!
Top Top