Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2003 3:20:17 PM EDT
I recently bought a Para P-16. After less than 300 rds. , the hammer is finicky. My first outing with it the hammer stayed down after a shot. I pulled hammer back let go and BOOM!, hammer fell(finger was off trigger). Scared the fvck outta me. (my first AD) I thought "well maybe I didn't cock it all the way." But after that it functioned fine. Went shooting a few days later same problem. But I could not get the hammer to stay cocked. Today I had a thought. Maybe the force of the recoil knocked something "into whack". So I just pulled slide back and let it slam home and it's staying back. This sounds like a sear engagement problem to me. I have no experience with 1911's. Are these guns hard to disassemble? And should I try? Oh yeah, this gun has had a professional hammer and trigger job done. This may have something to do with it. I e-mailed the store I bought it from; waiting for a response.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the sear is sticking.  This can be because the sear spring is not properly pressing against the sear or maybe the sear is hitting some interferance.  I would slide the main spring housing half way down, remove the thumb safety so you can remove the beavertail and then just try to observe what is going on.  If you keep the Mainspring housing in the frame most of the way it will keep pressure on the sear spring so you can watch whats going on.  

If I remember you are in Broome county.  If you want you can make the drive out to Norwich and stop by Dan Wesson and I would take a look at it for you sometime if you are still having trouble or need any parts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Took it in to the place i bought it from. Turns out the previous owner is a gunsmith. So he's gonna fix it for me free of charge. Can't wait to get it back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top