Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2003 9:25:51 PM EDT
To the ones made 100% in Belgium? Considering buying a Portugese-assembled one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone would be hard pressed to tell a bit of difference, IMO.

Are you getting a 9mm? May I ask for how much?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
They were all assembled in Portugal for many years. The issue was one of export. Belgiums laws prohibited export so the HiPowers were made in Belgium (as they have always been) but assembled elsewhere. FN is now manufacturing some here in the states IIRC but I'm not sure if the P-35 is being built here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone would be hard pressed to tell a bit of difference, IMO.

Are you getting a 9mm? May I ask for how much?

Local guy selling for $550 incl 2 hicaps.

Add: yes, it's 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]

They were all assembled in Portugal for many years. The issue was one of export. Belgiums laws prohibited export so the HiPowers were made in Belgium (as they have always been) but assembled elsewhere. FN is now manufacturing some here in the states IIRC but I'm not sure if the P-35 is being built here.

Completely untrue. Belgian export laws don't have anything to do with it. Labor costs are behind this. Belgian labor costs skyrocketed during the seventies causing FN/Browning to seek alternatives such as Miroku and an assembly plant in a business favorable location (i.e., cheaper labor).

FNMI is FN's U.S. subsidiary that was originally created to manufacture M16s for the U.S. Armed Forces. They only manufacture one or two items for civilian consumption in the U.S. (the Forty-Nine, for instance).

The only Belgian-produced Hi Power that really is better than the Portugal guns, and the other Belgian Hi Powers, is the T-Series manufactured in the sixties.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The only High Power I would hesitate to buy are the FM Argentine models.  I owned one that had some problems I never could iron out (intermittent FTF) so I had to get rid of it.  I have a friend who also had some problems with his (firing pin stop falling out, badly crowned barrel, walking sight).  I know others sing the praises of the FM guns, but for my money I'd rather have a FEG these days.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Local guy selling for $550 incl 2 hicaps.

Add: yes, it's 9mm.

If you can get a dealer to transfer one for you, shop around. I recently bought a LNIB Hi Power off of Gunsamerica with two 13-round magazines for $465 with shipping. cduarte has a nearly new FN-marked Hi Power with high capacity magazines for $425 plus shipping.

www.fnhipower.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=3395&forum=3
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen it yet, but I think the one I'm considering is blued with wood grips. If it's pre-1994, then it's made with forged steel frames instead of cast. All the Mark III's are cast.

If this is indeed a forged older Hi-Power, does $550 sound about right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#8]

All the Mark III's are cast.

Incorrect. All Hi Powers made through 1995 used forged frames (blued, MKIII, Practical, etc.). That being said, it doesn't make any difference whether it's forged or cast. The internet Chicken Littles would like to think so, but I don't think anyone can provide specific proof that the forged frames have any less longevity.

I wouldn't pay a premium just because the gun had a forged frame. My $465 buy has a forged frame.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd say $550 is a fair deal if the gun is in excellent shape.  Not great but not bad either.  If you go for it, you will have one of the finest handguns ever designed...bar none.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Aren't all of the Ruger single actions that get rechambered in the Linebaugh cartidges built off cast frames?  Seems like a decent casting is adequate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I realize mine is only one example, but my 1989 HP would wear down noticably EVERY session I fired it!
It got looser (frame to slide) and the hammer started flattening out where it drags on the slide when cycling.
Then, when drifting the rear sight, mounted in a leather protected vise, the slide stayed "squashed" and would not go back on the frame!
I have never heard of anyone else with that problem.
Being the last year for Belgium/Belgium, they might have "forgotten" to heat treat it.
Hopefully, you wont end up with one of those!
Make sure the "high caps" offered are authentic and not a cheap aftermarkets.
My FEG, on the other hand is going on over 5 years and is still tight, and that was only a $199 gun.
I did, however, just change the extractor in my FEG with the $25 BHP part and the FTE problem that recently surfaced are now gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top