Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2003 6:54:34 PM EDT
Ok, I'm cleaning up a friend's S&W Military and Police and would like to be able to tell her when it was made.  At least I think it's an M&P, it doesn't have "Model 10" marked on it anywhere and the serial number is C346xxx which I think means the last batch of M&P prior to the model 10, from 1948-1957.

If anybody's got a book that gives the year of manufacture or a link to a reference site, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
bjt
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say it dosent have "model 10" marked on it anywhere - does that mean anywhere on the exterior? S&W stamps model-variant on the cylnder yoke.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You'll probably have to get a letter from S&W for an exact date of mfg.

Some may be able to give you within a couple of years if you listed the serial #.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
SN C1-C999999 range was from 48-67.  In 1952 the front sight went from a round blade to a ramp.  In 1955 the upper sideplate screw was deleted.  June 12, 1957 was the start of model numbering.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, guys!

It looks like we've got a ramped front sight and an upper sideplate screw, which means '52, '53, or '54.

It's odd, I've found the serial number in five places and a manufacturing control number in two places on the gun.  I would think that a company that anal about numbering things (long before it was a legal requirement) would have year-by-year figures readily available on-line like Winchester, Marlin, Browing, and others have.

Oh well.  Thanks again!

bjt
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys!

It's odd, I've found the serial number in five places and a manufacturing control number in two places on the gun.  I would think that a company that anal about numbering things (long before it was a legal requirement) would have year-by-year figures readily available on-line like Winchester, Marlin, Browing, and others have.

Oh well.  Thanks again!

bjt

Spend enough time with Smiths and you'll find that there are exceptions to everything. They may have numbered all the parts but that was mostly so they could get them back together after finishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top