Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/15/2003 5:38:31 AM EDT
Does such a creature exist?

Background: Best friend is in Afghanistan and was issued an M9 with fixed sights, no paint. Kinda hard to see, they obviously do a lot of junk at night, and he can't see sights unless they are painted in self-luminescent paint.....

He's asked me to procure some for him. At this point I do not know if the sights will drift off or not, if they will I will send him some Trijicon sights, but paint would be easier.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:01:58 AM EDT
Being a radio active gas, I doubt it.
Always found encapsulated to contain it.
There are glow in the dark products that last a short while though, when light is shined on it.
The M-9 uses a fixed front sight, which needs a capsule to be factory installed...kind of out of the question.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:04:05 AM EDT
As I understand it some of the Luminox or other watches use a variety of "tritium" paint. Maybe this is a misnomer.....

Wonder if his units armorer would let him swap slides???

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:07:19 AM EDT
I was at a FunShow with TxLewis a couple of months ago. He purchased a product that was supposed to be a glow in the dark sight paint.

Might try IMing TxLewis and getting a product review.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:53:08 AM EDT
The early Beretta's had luminescent paint used for the "dot the dot" sights, but the Military made them remove it for the contract guns, so they stopped using it for any of the 92's. It would glow for a couple of minutes after being exposed to a light source, but it's kinda dicey to be lighting up your sights in Indian country.(!) His front sight won't drift off, so that's a wash...plus, you might talk to Wes at MSTN about sending anything containing Tritium overseas...Ha!

I really would contact Wes or someone with some experience and see what is available as well as what can or cannot be shipped over there.

Good Luck to your friend...tell him we appreciate him and the other guys and what they are doing!
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:02:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
As I understand it some of the Luminox or other watches use a variety of "tritium" paint. Maybe this is a misnomer.....

Wonder if his units armorer would let him swap slides???

Ed,

All the real Trit watches us an ityybitty vial...I'm waring one now and w/a magnifing glass I can see the tube.

Sorry
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 9:33:33 AM EDT
Would a laser sight work for him?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:44:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By endersgame:
Would a laser sight work for him?

I'm not sure he would want to be "illuminated" with nothing more than a sidearm.

I considered maybe one of those mini-holosights....but too bulky me thinks.

Ed
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:41:26 AM EDT
Send him a pair of Crimson Trace Laser grips or a Laser guide rod.

Or a holster for a light equipped M9 and a Insight M6 illuminator with beretta M9/92mount.

There is such a thing as radioactive paint but there's a problem (plant workers making the paint have a tendancy to die) We used a lot of radioactive paint on dials and watches in this country in the 40's and probably up to about 1965. Then we realized it caused cancer.

I have seen a sight paint designed specifically for glowing in the dark (it had a primer and paint in two small tubes) the sportsmans guide used to sell it. I bought a tube of white paint that glowed in the dark but later found that it was not the glow in the dark paint that glowed the best (that would be the 2 tube system) anyway my paint would only glow for about 2.5hours at a time. Maybe the 2tube system would work better???
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 12:24:26 PM EDT
Tell him to adapt and overcome. Gamesniper's degree fron the Arkansas Institute of Backwoods Technology figures he can A) Take his TRITIUM DIAL compass and smash it (carefully!) on a rock. B) Take some of the tritium indicators out of the busted-up mess C) Super-glue the tritium dots into the sight areas of the M9 and D) "appropriate" another compass. Thar ya go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 4:12:17 PM EDT
brownells sells glow in the dark paint (the kind you hit with a light for a few seconds and then it glows)
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:18:39 PM EDT
You can get glow in the dark paint from just about any craft store or craft department at a store like WalMart. I've probably got a bottle of it somewhere if it hasn't dried out or gone bad in the 4 or 5 years since I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:21:25 PM EDT
I think he is worried about the luminescence wearing off at the most inopportune time. Will a red light activate the glow?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 6:28:54 PM EDT
red LED doesn't get mine to glow
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:12:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
Will a red light activate the glow?

I'm pretty sure that the paint is activated by UV, not visible light.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 8:47:05 AM EDT
get the lasermax guide rod

or lasergrips

or a insight M6

the sight paint is not that great. it doesn't glow very long and no you can't charge it very well with red light.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:02:31 AM EDT
how does the guide rod work?

is there a pressure pad to turn it on and off?

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:59:17 PM EDT
A blacklight LED or whatever will set the paint glowing real bright for awhile. I've seen some on keychains and the like, but no idea where to get one. Hell, even some white paint would be better than bone-stock blued at night.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:15:42 PM EDT
Berettas have white dots, not solid black.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:11:57 PM EDT
How about the pigment that is used in the paint?
Maybe it can be mixed with clear nail polish or clear 2 part epoxy?
It's called Nightglo...glow in the dark pigment.
Coded NGA-88 for a dull green
NGX-64 for a very bright green
NGX-19 for blue, fairly bright
NG-20 2nd brightest green
NG-25 for a dim yellow
try 1-800-4dayglo
(432-9456)
The website says nothing about it, however..www.dayglo.com
I do have some NG-20 if you IM me your address, I'll send ya a sample to play with, Shivan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 11:18:14 AM EDT
first tell him to carry an m16. second, don't tell him to fuck up his compass. and third, go to the PX and get him some of those glow in the dark strips. we use those to put in the back of our PC's or soft caps. those are adhesive and he can cut them to size and stick it on his sights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:25:00 PM EDT
Two part glow in the dark kit 20-20.8m.com/spk.html

I have this on my Glock. It is white paint so it matches the white sight markings that the Glock had before application. With short exposure to light, it does glow pretty well - about 30 minutes total, though I have never timed it.

The Patch-worm cleaner listed on the site has become my favorite bore cleaner. Cheap, quick, and easy.

Top Top