Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2003 10:31:27 PM EDT
Take into consideration I do not have much $$

1911A1 Griffon south africa
2-7round mags
match trigger and night sights. Found it at CDNN
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:04:19 PM EDT
Not too many of these around. I have yet to see or shoot one.

I would perhaps suggest buying a used Springfield, Colt or Kimber. At least there'll be no doubt about their quality?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:36:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2003 6:37:45 AM EDT by chasu]
I've had one. Didn't take me long to get rid of it either. It looks really nice, super nice in a picture. When you get it, you'll be disgusted. Fit is nice, but finish is horrible. If you're buying it to have it sent to a shop for customization, it's ok at best. If you want to keep it stock, keep it under glass because once you show it to someone that knows 1911s they'll probably laugh. Oh yes, where it says "match trigger", it's only match looking. Sorry, but that's just the way I felt when I got mine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:50:25 AM EDT
chasu...for the rest of us that actually need a gun to shoot...did it function?
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:52:43 AM EDT
82.....look around real hard for a Springfield...the Mil-spec is not real expensive and mine is definately a shooter. I am in the same boat you in---no money. I almost bought a LLama, but I traded a ruger 22/45 in on my springfield.....price was under 300.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 7:21:08 AM EDT
I'd pass it up, that's no deal. I seem to recall these going for a little over $300 when I last saw some.

You should be easily able to find a Springfield milspec for the same price or a little more, and the SA is a significantly better gun for the money.

If for some reason you don't want a Springfield, the Rock Island 1911 and the Auto Ordnance 1911's are a couple more I'd consider in the $350 range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 12:31:10 PM EDT
my griffon works great----as well as any other 1911 i have
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:07:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hound:
chasu...for the rest of us that actually need a gun to shoot...did it function?

Sorry Hound, I was so disgusted, I never fired it. Never gave it a chance. I guess I should have at least tested the reliability, but I wanted to get as much for it as possible, so I left it unfired. Sorry I couldn't help. It appears Kenneth64 has a good one. Maybe that helps. I know the Rock Island Armory, at least is reliable, Finish is better, and shoots pretty good. And can be purchased for low 300s new. As any wise 1911 owner will tell you, use some of the extra money you saved and buy a nice barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2003 2:37:12 PM EDT by Green0]
I bought a used Kimber for $610 at a gun show.

It was utterly relible and 2.5-5inch accurate at 25yds.

I have had bad experiences with SA. My current TRP operator will be one of the nicest guns you ever saw when it comes back from the gunsmith $2000 later. : (

Best buys right now are:
1 Dan Wesson Patriot (these shoot 1.5-2.5inches at 25yds but they do have an external extractor that I don't really care for) If you get one buy one with Bomar style sights. my problem there is only asthetic.

2 Kimber anything- they make great guns

3 Les Baer (they might cost more but they shoot 1.25-2inch groups at 25yds) That is what mine shoots from the bench. They are 100% reliable 100% of the time.

If you go to gunsamerica.com you will find Baer pistols sometimes for cheap in "lesbaer pistols for sale" I bought mine for $1100

If you cant spend enough to buy Kimber or Dan Wesson don't buy a 1911 buy a Glock 19 in 9mm or any other glock or a Ruger P97 if you have to have a .45 they are accurate and priced at $300 or so. they are quality guns - just don't buy the Double Action only or you will have a hard time shooting groups with it.

Top Top