Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2003 3:06:04 AM EDT
Whats the word on these gentlemen (and ladies)? My dad just picked one up at an auction for $225 plus tax and registration, because he heard I was looking for another 1911. Any known problems with these? What is needed to make them run? What about parts issues? I have heard someone say that it won't take 1911 mags. If that's so I may sell it at a local gunshow. I have about 25 1911 mags just no 1911 to go with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:01:24 AM EDT
Llama is generally to be avoided. They are at the bottom of the barrel as far as 1911s go. If you need a 1911, save up and try to get at least a newer Auto Ordnance. Or find a used Sistema (Argentinian 1911 made on Colt equipment). Sistemas were going for around $300, but they're getting harder to find.

Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:10:22 AM EDT
Made in Spain for many years and as stated, generally avoided.
QC and heat treat problems, let alone non- standard parts were it's downfall, IMO.
Slip in your 1911 mags and see if they made any changes through the years.
You may want to just try to shoot it as you won't get much for it at a show.
And now that your dad "signed" for it, there is concern on where it may end up.
Best bet would be sticking to "hardball" in that gun, for reliability.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:58:10 AM EDT
actually, mine works just fine.....it's my truck gun now, and no malfunctions yet, and is accurate enough for my purpose........
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:35:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jem375:
actually, mine works just fine.....it's my truck gun now, and no malfunctions yet, and is accurate enough for my purpose........

Yep, it happens.

I have never heard of heat treating problems, the big dislike is that they are out of spec. They don't have good interchangability of parts with other 1911 series and don't accept aftermarket parts well. They have a tendancy to break small but important pieces like the slide stop lever, the safety lever, sights, ect., which seem to be made from inferior materials to the frame and slide. The odd dimensions then make it difficult to fit the standard 1911 drop in parts without gunsmithing.

But if you get one that works, then it works. They make a good beater. And for $225 in this market can you really complain?
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 11:50:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 5:22:39 PM EDT
i bought one of there compact 45 autos a few years back mini max II. IT WAS NEW IN THE BOX. the thing would FTF FTF FTF every 2nd to 3rd round.tried all types of ammo even tried a new mag in it. same old story. needless to say it will be the last lama i will ever buy. i was so happy to sell that thing.my norinco 1911 never gives me any problem eats anything i throw down it. hopefully the one you have never gives you any problem..
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2003 6:29:54 PM EDT by Green0]
I bought their pimp limited gun It was the Comp 10 Compensated widebody 13rd capacity gun it shot 4inch groups at 25yds and was reliable.

The recoil spring was a little light though. I changed it for a heavier spring.

They are cast 1911's but other than that I think they are good guns. At least mine was.

What's the gamble? $200? Their little .45's and .40 cal's looked like quality guns (I don't know how they would group though) I haven't seen a Llamma for sale lately though.

I had a lot less trouble with my Llama than I've had with Springfield Armory guns. No jams with the Llama I really think they get a bad rap for doing what no-one else does.... Selling a 1911 for a lot less than $450
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:12:13 PM EDT
When I went through the gunsmithing program we were told to avoid working on Llamas for all the already mentioned problems.

A friend of mine bought some sort of Llama Officer's model that is pure crap. He has to depress the thumbsafety while pulling the trigger because the geometry on the parts is all screwed up. Also, I noticed that the detent housing for the thumbsafety was cracked (which didn't help the geometry one bit) and I told him that if he wanted to keep the gun he should send it back to have it fixed. Apparently whoever is the distributor refused to take it back.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 6:05:08 PM EDT
I bought one NIB about a year ago. Right place, Right time, Right price. But you couldn't give me a second one. (Extractor problems and next to impossible to find parts for it). I've found that $7 1911 mags from CTD function better than the $40 mags from the dealer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:38:57 AM EDT
I know it's too late now, but if I had my druthers I'd put the $200 into a Ballester Molina (aka the "Ballerina Molester"). Most of its parts are also proprietary but, having been issued as a service weapon, they tend to work and not break too many parts. I'm almost ashamed to admit it but mine (a refinshed model) was the most accurate .45 I owned at the time, beating out my S&W 4506, Glock 30, and several other 1911's of various pedigree. Now that I own a Kimber and a couple other highly customized 1911's that ranking might now be in question, however.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 11:00:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/17/2003 11:03:33 AM EDT by Ostrich_Sac]
Discussions on LLamas are just like eating at the local greasy spoon.

Sometimes you get severe heartburn & diarrea, sometimes you don't.

A friend has two a nickel micro-max .380 and a mini-max .45.
I had to show him how to strip both of them. I admit the .380 was diffcult.
The safety on the micro-max .380 did'nt function.
I refused to shoot the .380.
I could not hit the broad side of a barn with the .45. It was loose but seemed to feed/function OK.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:44:32 PM EDT
I had the minimax .45 for a while. I really tried HARD to like it, because I love the looks of Officer-size 1911's. But no question about it... it sucked hard. Last year I got a Charles Daly compact field grade 1911 in trade from my dad. Verdict? A great gun! Not perfect, but good enough that I've since bought the full-size CD field grade 1911 also. Love both of them and will continue to own them unless I can someday replace them with Springfield or Kimbers. Would love to get a Wilson, Les Baer or Ed Brown, but those are way out of reach for a while. The Charles Daly field grade models can be had for 3-400 bucks new if you keep your eyes open. Much better than Llama and parts are in-spec (replaced much of mine with Wilson and other parts).
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 4:39:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DeltaAir423:
Whats the word on these gentlemen (and ladies)? My dad just picked one up at an auction for $225 plus tax and registration, because he heard I was looking for another 1911. Any known problems with these? What is needed to make them run? What about parts issues? I have heard someone say that it won't take 1911 mags. If that's so I may sell it at a local gunshow. I have about 25 1911 mags just no 1911 to go with it.

I've said it before here....RUN LIKE HELL.....
and DON"T STEP in the Llama SHIT!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:51:26 PM EDT
lamma minny max was the very first pistol I ever owend. As far as getting 1911 mags to fit I had to git out the dremel tool and increc the top of the noch so it would lock in.
Over all it shot everyting I put threw it, slitly to the left as i recal. It was stolin from my home and I replaced it with a sig 229 I have never ben haper!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:27:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boz:
lamma minny max was the very first pistol I ever owend. As far as getting 1911 mags to fit I had to git out the dremel tool and increc the top of the noch so it would lock in.
Over all it shot everyting I put threw it, slitly to the left as i recal. It was stolin from my home and I replaced it with a sig 229 I have never ben haper!

LMAO

I hate the grammer nazis so I won't comment any further. I did laugh a bit and it made me haper.

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:51:33 PM EDT
Here is a photo of the twins:

Colt NRM 1991:

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:18:09 PM EDT
unfortunatley Dad has already paid for it and took it home. I have yet to see it or shoot it, I'll have to run up there and pick it up some time. I think the next hand gun besides Crystal's will be a Springfield Armory WW2 spec 1911. Thanks for all the replies guys.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:06:53 PM EDT
I've owned two. Both were reliable, though I can't really comment on the accuracy because I've smoothed out some shooting mechanics problems since then. I had a MiniMax that NEVER hiccuped and I sold it to my neighbor across the street and he really likes it. I also had an officers model and other than the rear sight "walking" a little bit, it was very reliable also (had a new rear sight installed on it and sold that one to my brother and he hasn't complained to me yet). I wouldn't likely buy another one, but I have no major complaints about the two I did own. I felt confident with them when I had them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:39:53 PM EDT
They are a good low cost entry level .45,the mag and barrel are about the only thing that will swap out with the colt style 1911!
As said the Ballester-Molina is much higher quality and more costly!
Bob
Top Top