Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2003 7:01:51 PM EDT
CA Assembly Passes Strongest Handgun Safety Bill

Requires "Loaded" Indicator and Magazine Disconnect Safety California Law Would Set National Standard Bill Has Already Passed Senate And Should Soon Reach Gov. Davis

Sacramento, California - The California Assembly today approved far-reaching gun control legislation, sponsored by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March, that would require handgun manufacturers to redesign new handguns to prevent accidental shootings, effectively establishing a new national safety standard for handgun production. The law would be the strongest such measure in the country.

The legislation establishes new safety standards by requiring handguns to have an indicator that clearly shows when the gun is loaded and a magazine disconnect safety that prevents the gun from firing when the ammunition magazine is removed. Senate Bill 489, by Senator Jack Scott, now goes to the Senate for a concurrence vote and is expected to soon reach Gov. Gray Davis.

"California will be the first state in the country to require handguns to clearly indicate if they are loaded and prevent them from firing if the ammunition magazine is removed," said Luis Tolley, Director of State Legislation for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March. "California is setting a national gun safety standard that will require manufacturers to change the way they design handguns to prevent accidental shootings. This bill will save lives all across America."

"If this bill had been law when a boy decided to show off a gun, my beloved son would be alive today," said Griffin Dix, Secretary of the Million Mom March California State Council, whose son was accidentally shot by a friend who did not realize the gun was loaded. "Deaths like my son’s are foreseeable and preventable. If a cheap disposable camera can tell us how many pictures are left, surely a handgun should indicate when there is a bullet still hidden in the chamber. Million Mom March chapters throughout California worked hard for this bill and legislators listened. Now, finally, hundreds of needless deaths and injuries will be prevented."

SB 489 requires new semiautomatic handgun models sold in California to have either a clear loaded-chamber indicator or a magazine disconnect safety by 2006 and to have both safety devices by 2007. Older models may continue to be sold in the state. Only one other state, Massachusetts, has enacted similar legislation, but Massachusetts only requires handguns to have one of the safety devices and has not established standards for the design of load indicators.

Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
"If this bill had been law when a boy decided to show off a gun, my beloved son would be alive today," said Griffin Dix, Secretary of the Million Mom March California State Council, whose son was accidentally shot by a friend who did not realize the gun was loaded.

No, try this...

"If I had been a responsible parent and taught my child the first thing about gun safety instead of burying my head in the sand, my beloved son would be alive today," said Griffin Dix, Secretary of the Million Mom March California State Council, whose son was accidentally shot by a friend who did not realize the gun was loaded.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
well, they're going to have to come up with a gun that screams out "warning, this gun is loaded.... warning, this gun is loaded" with big flashing lights and sirens to appease THOSE idiots.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#3]
"Riggghhtttt...." (Dr. Evil voice)

So who's going to teach "Johnny" about what to look for on a gun so dumba** knows it's loaded.  Which under current PRK law would already be illegal that:

a.  A minor in possession of a weapon w/o parents permission per the "lock your gun up" law.

b.  Adults already have to pass a "gun training" test before they can even buy a handgun.

c.  What ever happened to common sense "every gun is loaded" safety issue?  If miss Million-Mom-March had taught her son gun safety he'd be alive today.  But no, guns are evil, I don't like them.... yadda yadda yadda.  

F.A.S. Out
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't revolvers already NOT fire when the 'ammunition feeding device' is removed?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Maryland did the same thing by requiring all handguns to have an internal locking device.  They know that they can't get an outright ban on all handguns, so they keep coming up with more restrictions until the amount of handguns that can be legally sold dwindles down to nothing
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
How come you don't hear anything about the NRA being opposed I'm sure they know of this crap.  So what do the million idiots intend to do about the handguns currently owned in CA confiscate them??  If I were a manufacturer I wouldn't sell my products to CA it would be stupid to redesign your current line of handguns to meet CA's laws.  Maybe make one model with loud speakers and sirens na I still wouldn't want to endorse such ludicrasy.  How come when ever there is a problem that involves a gun it the gun that gets the blame?  Ok gangs have guns yes they have 15rd mags yes so lets ban 15rd mags that will solve it.  NO gang members don't buy there guns at Gun World you idiots they steal or get them from someone who did.  As for this new law hmm lets see oh heres a good simple solution.  If you own a handgun and don't lock it up where your 8yr old can't get it and he accidently shoot his friend You goto jail for involuntary man slauter.  Pass that and have the media stuff it down people throats and put banners at every gun shop.  How's a kid even gonna know that a red dot sticking from the back of the slide means cocked and locked.  Ya you would need sirens and lights cause kids don't know how guns work thats why they accidently shoot each other.  Ok I'm done but I don't feel any better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm freaking moving to australia they have common sence there see ya all later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm freaking moving to australia they have common sence there see ya all later.

Ummmm, Mark, I hate to tell you this.

Australia has banned guns.

I hope you dont make a trip for nothing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
WHAT WHAT WHAT!!!  Ok how about Germany they make great cars great guns and you can actually drive their great cars fast.  The weather ain't so great though I was hoping to live somewhere sunny and warm.  I guess I can deal with it though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The legislation establishes new safety standards by requiring handguns to have an indicator that clearly shows when the gun is loaded and a magazine disconnect safety that prevents the gun from firing when the ammunition magazine is removed.

so what they are saying its "everyone in CA will soon own revolvers since these rules won't affect them." nice. i can't think of a single style of gun that has fewer safety features then a revolver. Taurus already makes an 8 round cylinder. they should make a 12 rounder just to piss off these nitwit moms.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]
more people are killed in California and in the United States by automobiles, and also by alcohol and also by cigarettes.  I wonder if California requires automobiles that lock unless your fingerprint matches the one that has permission to drive a car; or if they require bottles that disintegrate if the person drinking is under age or has killed someone while driving; or if the cigarettes go limp when those underaged attempt to smoke them? When will it get through to the  California legislators that gun control is NOT the answer...but that SELF-control and personal accountability IS!!??  In the state where movie stars can shoot others, smoke and drink on screen, then bitch about guns....geesh! California is the best example of why only intelligent, common sense gifted people should vote...look at the mess they have with their governor, the recall and all. I realize California doesn't have a monopoly on dizzy dipsticks...they seem to abound in anti-gun sewers in every state. So don't ya CA guys with guns get up tight.   <grin>
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Also note that LEO firearms are exempt from the law.  Can't have the LEO have safe guns, can we.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top