Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2003 7:07:29 AM EDT
Been several years or so since my competitions were built. Before Kimbers and SA "loaded" guns were available.
Got a buddy just starting into competition with me.  So far he is using one of my spare guns. But he wants his own piece.
PROVIDING I can find a competent pistolsmith in NW Ohio area,  is it more economical to build a 1911 or just buy a SA "loaded" or Kimber?
(I am thinking buy.)  Would want a beavertail safety, match bbl, bo-mars and trigger job.

BTW: Do the Kimber and SA loaded guns have Lawyer triggers?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's more economical to build using a matched pre-fitted slide and frame from Rock River or Les Baer.

Put whatever parts you need in it and send it to Josh Halfman in Bluesky OR.  Good Guy Good Work Great prices 4-6 week turnaround.

It's a big world UPS Insured makes it smaller (just never put Evolution Gun Works on the label (instead put EGW) ) get it? never put something down that ID's it as a gun.

Either buy Les Baer or build your own and save a little money while using extremely high quality parts.

HELL YES THEY HAVE LAWYER TRIGGERS EVEN LES BAER Josh Halfman will go down to 1.25lbs if you want. It's a beautiful thing those trigger jobs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Just bought a Kimber Tactical Custom II.  The trigger on it is very nice, no lawyers included.

If you replaced the Meprolights with a Bo-mar, you'd be ready to go.  It has 30 lpi checkering, beavertail, match bbl, ambi safety, and magwell.

You should be able to get a Kimber in your desired configuration for under $1000.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Most bang for your buck get a STI or Dawson single stack 1911. They coming in around $1000 but it's competition ready with match trigger, barrels, bevertail, etc. STI is probably the most popular names in IPSC/USPSA competition.

For IDPA I believe you'll need a bushing barrel, which should be no problem.

This will get you into USPSA Limited 10 or IDPA ESP or ESP depending oh what caliber you choose (9, 40, or 45). I would go with .40 if your not reloading, or you don't want to pick up brass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
A shooting buddy of mine just got a great deal on a very lightly used STI Trojan(Gov size single stack) in .40. Very nice gun. Definitely a "factory custom". The.40 made it a suprisingly soft shooter too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top