Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/13/2003 2:54:13 PM EDT
I know some like them. But what is a selling point for these guns that other brand semi-autos don't have...trigger? cheap hi-caps? etc.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 9:48:25 AM EDT
Despite my working many many gun shows, I have yet to sell my first S&W semi, other than a Model 41.

Yes, their selling point is certainly low price. But virtually every one I've held has felt like a square 2x4 in my hands.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:18:05 AM EDT
For the most part, they are reliable and fairly well made.
However, they feel clunky and awkward in the hand.
I think it's funny that they are making a 1911 clone. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:39:12 AM EDT
What's really funny is that they already made what is arguably a better gun than the 1911 in their 945.

I realy like their 3rd gen autos. Cheap hi-caps and great customer service are BIG pluses.

SorryOciffer

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:41:59 AM EDT
Their triggers supposedly have faster reset than Glock...can anyone verify this?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:47:24 AM EDT
They always pointed like a hair dryer for me.

Yes Clean-Cut, they have one of the shortest resets of any gun out there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:35:38 AM EDT
Early on, they were about the only game in town, save for a wartime BHP or a P-38 and I always had at least one around.
So, I guess at this point, it would be familiarity through the 39-59 series, 639-659 series and even some 469s and 645s.
They do have a short reset when firing but crunch like heck, generally, just playing with 'em.
The 39-639 have a contoured backstrap and don't even feel like a 2X4.
The 59 series arguably was not that ergonomic and may well feel blocky.(a curved backstrap was available for the 59, I had one)
The stainless guns and magazines were one selling feature for me...back then, let alone fully adjustable sights.
I also obtained some factory 20 round magazines, which helped me choose a Smith, even though 3 still remain unused.
Another selling point would be name recognition, but not so much for their autos, which in some cases were far from perfect.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/14/2003 11:51:02 AM EDT by Derek45]

Originally Posted By SorryOciffer:
What's really funny is that they already made what is arguably a better gun than the 1911 in their 945.

SorryOciffer

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:36:18 PM EDT
I have found them to be as accurate and reliable as any of the other brands out there. In fact I rank them right up there with many of the high priced brands. I am not a big fan of how the DA trigger pull feels, but I made due with it. And as far as trigger reset, they seem to be one of the best on the market. I can accurately get off rounds faster in my 5906 that any pistol I have fired. The Smith and Wesson 3rd generation autos are good guns and I would have no problem buying one if I were you.

It seems some people have dislikes about how the gun looks, feels, and all that kinda stuff. We'll, ignore all of that since it has nothing to do with function and is all very much an individual thing. Check one out yourself first. If you like how it feels, then get one if you wish. You could certainly buy worse than S&W, that's for sure.

-Charging Handle
Top Top