Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2003 5:00:31 AM EDT
I was playing with my Sistema 1911, trying to figure out how to strip the slide down.  I'm planning on getting a new slide so I want to know how all the little pieces go in.  I got the firing pin out without a problem, but I can't figure out how to get the extractor out.  There's something at the back of the slide, where the hammer fits in, but I don't know if it's got anything to do with the extractor or how to get it out.

Unless I'm missing something, the firing pin and extractor assemblies are the only internal parts in the slide, right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Excerpt from here: www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm, w/ pics.

Using a small punch, pull down the Firing Pin Stop and remove it.

Cover the Firing Pin opening with your thumb, and press the Firing Pin Lock Plunger again, to release the Firing Pin.

This action will allow the Firing Pin to move back against the pressure of the Firing Pin Spring.

Remove the Firing Pin together with its Spring.

Pushing the Firing Pin Lock Plunger inwards, pull the extractor slightly backwards.

You must pull it enough, so that the Firing Pin Lock Plunger can be freely removed from the bottom of the slide.

Remove it and then remove the extractor completely.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Perfect.  Thanks, mr_wilson.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Skip the BS about the firing pin lock, the Sistema doesn't have one.

I use a small allen key to push the firing pin in from the rear, and move the stop downward and slide it out.  Watch it, the firing pin will shoot out if you don't cover it.  Once that's out, you can pull the extractor out the back.

If you do it, clean the channel out with a Q-tip or something.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got it apart and back together.  I was making it a lot harder than it was - it didn't occur to me that the extractor would just slide out.  I thought there must be something holding it in, which I now realize was the firing pin stop.

Now I'm confident in ordering a slide, and knowing that I can get the parts in.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 4:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah Eswanson, 1911s are easy to disassemble.  The only part I ever have trouble with is getting the thumb safety back in, because the pin has to go through the grip safety, and everything inside has to be lined up, and you have to use something to push the plunger in...

Other than that, it's easy to strip.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top