Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2003 12:28:48 PM EDT
I took my wife shooting at the local range for the first time (her very first time shooting).  She was very insecure about trying it and it took a lot to persuade her to do so.  After I got her to try shooting with my Ruger 10/22, she loved it (not to mention she was a very good shot with it! - 3" groupings at 100 yards for her VERY FIRST TIME FIRING A GUN!).  Anyway, I had her try our Walther P22 and she was very unimpressed because of the inaccuracy and as a result it wasn't as fun for her.  I couldn't persuade her to try out my RRA M4, but I was pleased enough that she liked it.
I'd like her to get used to using a handgun more, and I'm picking up a SIG P226 next week - does anyone have any tips on "converting" her over from rifle to pistol shooting?  Would a laser attachment on the P22 help any?  She didn't mind the recoil on the P22 at ALL (said she didn't even notice it, much less bother her), so that's a good thing.
I did use the "Shoot-N-C" targets which made ALL the difference between her enjoying the shooting and becoming bored with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup. Ratshot and Balloons, clay targets, "spinner" type targets. All mucho fun.
Can't help but smile when your pegging the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about those metal plinking targets, but was worried about ricochets or jacket fragments being sent back...  I have read all kinds of stories on these forums about getting jacket fragments in legs or cheeks by shooting at metal targets.  I don't think my wife would ever want to go back if that happened to me, her or anyone else within view.  That being said, is a ricochet shooting at these targets going to be dangerous?

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Why push her to the pistol?  Heck, you done good if she likes the 10/22.  Just let her blast to her hearts content.

Meanwhile, you are shooting pistols and your AR.  Eventually, if you have the patience to never ask again, SHE will get curious.

Nature of the beast man.  

I would also recommend when you do, make it fun targets (like a deck of cards stapled to a target) and put it about 5 yards away.  make it easy.  When/if she gets too good, make it harder.

As to lasers on handguns, IMO a waste of money.  A better sight such as a Dr Optics might help.
If the 10/22 uses a scope that might be it.  She might be good at aligning 2 things and pulling the trigger.  Iron sights require aligning 3 things and shooting.  Think on it.

BTW, the 10/22 is also how I got my wife started.  She never really caught to it though.  She still doesn't like all the  loud guns around us at the range.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Tators! My favorite targets to shoot are potatoes. Grab a bag of russets on your way to the range (or shooting spot.) My friend and I shot one one time with a .357 mag hydra-shok. It was raining mash potatoes!
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed. Potatos, apples, oranges, melons, poker chips...

Something with a positive and definite reaction that will make her want to shoot more. And the kicker is that if you can get her hitting an apple at 20 yards without thinking about it, she can shoot a bad-guys heart out of his chest from the same distance.

Tactical and fun! Can't do much better than that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I think after getting her used to a .22 pistol you  should have her shooting a 4 inch .357 loaded with .38 Special.  My 4 inch GP100 loaded with 130 FMJ .38 Special recoils more than a .22 but quite a bit less than my Beretta 92 Elite.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Bowling Pins.

Reactive targets always entertain.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I must not use paper, paper is the mind killer!
Repeat this over and over! :)
  Get het to shoot reactive targets. Tin cans, Shotgun hulls, bowling pins and, my personal favorite and wife and sons....Clay Pigieons!
 Treat a woman just as you would a kid. Use these reactive targets along with short range trips # 1 to keep them interested an #2 so they do not get bored with it. Always leave the range with them wanting to shoot more. That way they look forward to coming back. :) And like kids, they like to see whatever they are shooting flip, shatter fall, or bust or explode! Makes them feel they really did something. Also, make it competative... AND LET THEM WIN!  Kids and women love to put us guys "in our place"  :) There is nothing like out shooting their teacher. As far as centerfire pistols, use one that is easy to shoot with no complicated safety or decocker to use. As a rule when I go from rimfire to centerfire I use either a Glock 9mm or a Springfield XD9 to break them in. Recoil is better on these models than any other and no complicated systems to learn, Basically point and shoot.:) Remember , Keep it Simple, Fun, and Short each time and you will have them shooting out of your hand:)

I would also like to add this. Getting my wife to shoot period was not easy. At the age of 10 she lost her mother right before her eyes due to an accidental discharge from a handgun. When we first met she was terrified of all guns and didn't want them around her. I cared for her very much but she knew I loved shooting and hunting very much and would not change for just a girlfriend. I did not push her into it while we dated either. I let her ask about them. We simply did non gun related things together and I saved the gun stuff for my other friends. I re-assured her that guns are tools and any tool was dangerous if not used properly. Learning to use a gun properly would reduce her fear of them and she might justhave fun doing it. Now she is a deadly shot with both rifle and handgun. She now deerhunts ( has 2 by the way:) ) and shoots USPSA and IDPA. I I can get her hooked boys, Anyone can do it:)
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good job, xwing.  Must have been pretty touchy to get her to feel comfortable under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL, If you only knew...3 years of extreme patience on her part as well as mine...but once it took..:)
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I suggest you get a 9mm upper for your AR.  These things are so fun: no recoil to speak of, and cheap to feed.  Slap an OKO or EOTech on it (everybody seems to be fascinated with red dot sights) and stand back.  Everybody who's shot my 9mm AR has had a huge grin on their face, especially if they run a tactical stage with it.  Deep down everybody wants to be a JBT on an entry team.

And I second the recommendation for those steel spinner .22 targets.  I wouldn't get any closer than about 15 yards to them, with a .22.  I've never had a ricochet with them that I recall, and if a part of a bullet does make it back to you, it won't really do any damage.  Using a lawnmower is more dangerous.  I will say, go ahead and buy the ones that have 3 targets on them.  If you only have one spinner, waiting for it to stop spinning is almost as boring as shooting paper.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top