Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2003 6:18:24 PM EDT
... I just bought a Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in 454 Casull for hunting.

... The last time i built a gun of this type was 15 years ago.

... What are the trends in optics and occluded eye devices (red dot) these days? What would you recommend for a good sight and why?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to be sure to get an optic built for the higher recoil for your caliber. Optics are not "one size fits all calibers".

As with everything else, one gets what one pays for.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really know anything about optics, but I'd just like to say grats on one hell of a hand cannon!

A wild guess though, is that leupold would probably do well on such a gun, especially w/ the recoil.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
When I bought my 375JDJ, the scope recommended by JD Jones was the Simmons Gold Medal 2.5-7x, this was discontinued..........he then went to the B&L 2-6x, and then they were bought out by Bushnell, and now he says the Bushnell 2-6x is a good scope for his hand cannons.....I have a Simmons on my 375JDJ, and the Leupold 2x on my Taurus Raging bull in 454 casull.....I haven't tried the Bushnell, but, they are probably a very good scope if he says so..............
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Get either a 2x20 or a 4x32...anything higher and you will have trouble locating the target when hunting, because you won't be able to follow it with a handgun set above 4x. You don't want to be using a scope as a pair of binoculars anyways with a loaded gun. Yeah, I know...with a 2x-7x you MIGHT use the 7x settings, but I'll bet you after a couple of times in the field you will keep it at the 2x setting, or get mighty frustrated. You MIGHT shoot at something at a 100 yds away, but for the most part it will be 50 yds or closer, unless you're hunting on the Plains. If you were shooting something in a rifle caliber in a longer Thompson Center, or just for target from a bench, you would have a lot more time to make the shot and might try longer distances. The recoil thing is definitely to be considered, but even with a scope made for recoil. I would still check those scope rings EVERYTIME you clean it. Mine loosen with the 480 Ruger, and I am sure they will with the 454 as well.
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

... The recoil thing is definitely to be considered, but even with a scope made for recoil. I would still check those scope rings EVERYTIME you clean it. Mine loosen with the 480 Ruger, and I am sure they will with the 454 as well.
RugerCal480 (Mike)

... Is using a bonding agent, like Loctite an option to minimize this?
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Locktite is fine if you don't ever want to remove the scope for some reason. I would simply check the scope rings after shooting. You aren't going to be shooting 100-200 rounds at any one time anyways if you're using it primarily for hunting. 50 rounds will probably be a max at any one time, unless you have stock in an ammo company, or an iron fist. <grin>
Ruger
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top