Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 6:32:58 AM EDT
So.. I checked out a coworker's CZ75 SA and really liked it!  I had been thinking about a hicap 9mm.  The BHP had always been lingering in my mind, as well as the Beretta 92fs.

I really liked the CZ!  It's like crossing a BHP with the 92fs.  A little smaller than the 92fs.  Didn't get a chance to shoot it.  Felt great in my hand!  

So I have some benefits/drawbacks to weigh... I want to throw them up here, and ask... what would YOU do?  

So I have three basic choices as far as the CZs go.  I could get the 75b in 9mm or .40.  OR for a bit more money, the 97b in .45ACP.  I could get the BD model for the decocker..  

Here's how it lays out:

75B 9mm
Pros:
light recoil, good accuracy
hicap mags available, not very expensive
cheap ammo

Cons:
Wouldn't carry when hunting
Wouldn't use for home defense

75B .40
Pros:
More powerful round
better for defensive situations/hunting sidearm

Cons:
No hicaps
More expensive (not by much) ammo
a little more recoil

97B
Pros:
I already reload .45ACP so ammo would be cheap.
Good defense round

Cons:
Heavier
about $100-150 more
No hicap mags

Now, given the intended use, I'm still leaning to the 75b in 9mm due to the hicaps and cheap ammo.   I intend to use it as a sidearm for carbine matches, and for IDPA matches.  I don't really care about what class I shoot in... I do IDPA for fun.  It will not be a carry/home defense pistol.  Mostly competition and target shooting.  Hicaps would be nice.  Can't use them in IDPA, but the carbine matches you can AFAIK.

Which would you get?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
9X19. Mags, Parts, cost of ammo. All will be less than the others.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Why won't you use the 9mm for defense?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why won't you use the 9mm for defense?

Not that I absolutely wouldn't use 9mm, I just have a .45 and a .357 mag that I would use for home defense.  

I know there are some great defensive loads in 9mm, but I'd just grab my .45 first. ;)

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I see. Well, since the CZ75 was chambered in 9mm from the get-go, I would get that. Seems like most handguns start having problems when they're upsized, downsized, supersized, and chambered in non-original calibers. High capacity magazines for the 9mm CZ75 are still fairly reasonably priced and available (I bought around a dozen from a guy over on czforum.com for $22 each).
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd get a PCR, if I could find one, I've always liked the looks of them out of all the CZ pistols.  IMO, the P01(is that the correct name for the PCR replacement?) looks boring in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd get a PCR, if I could find one, I've always liked the looks of them out of all the CZ pistols.  IMO, the P01(is that the correct name for the PCR replacement?) looks boring in comparison.

my dad bought a PCR last year and I like it a lot. BTW, due to customer demands, CZ is still making the PCR.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think I would use the 9mm if I had a 45 close by.

I have a CZ 75 and its a sweet shooting pistol
UGLY but a good weapon.

its a pistol I don't care about much so if I beat it up who cares.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the 75B in 9mm. The 45 has the largestgrip I have ever felt-- very clumsy and not a very good feel in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]

I have a CZ 75 and its a sweet shooting pistol
UGLY but a good weapon.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my dad bought a PCR last year and I like it a lot. BTW, due to customer demands, CZ is still making the PCR.

Cool!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I own a CZ75B and will never part with it. I have owned Browning HIpowers for over 20 years and many of it's clones. Hipowers are super handguns but for the money, the CZ 75B is a quality firearm and life long, dependable personal protector,shooter, plinker.
You will not be dissatified.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses.  I feel pretty confident with the choice.  

I'm actually thinking about probably going with an 85B for the ambidexterous controls.  I confirmed today that I definitely shoot better with my left hand, even though I'm right handed.  I might get the 85 and try practicing left handed and try some IDPA both ways, and see what I do better.  

I'll check into it... I may just get the 75B and practice a bunch with it.  

And about it being ugly... I think the CZ kinda grows on you.  I used to think they were kinda weird, now I think they're pretty beautiful.  Like an HP mixed with a Beretta.  

I'll post when I do get one!  

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And about it being ugly... I think the CZ kinda grows on you.  I used to think they were kinda weird, now I think they're pretty beautiful.  Like an HP mixed with a Beretta.  

now where did I put that I'd hit it banana...

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

now where did I put that I'd hit it banana...
www.conquerearth.com/pubphotos/cz75b_t.jpg

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Very pretty... I think one day I will end up getting a 97B.  

I need to hit the next gunshow and check out prices on the 75B.  Academy has a couple at $389.  I suspect I could find them a little cheaper.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#16]

I need to hit the next gunshow and check out prices on the 75B. Academy has a couple at $389. I suspect I could find them a little cheaper.

I doubt it. There was a CZ75B package deal awhile back, called the "Military," which included two pre-ban magazines. These were priced around $325 and are all gone now. The next best price is the standard CZ75B at Academy's price of $389. Most everyone else sells these at $400 on up.

If you're interested in a standard CZ75 (also known as a "pre-B") with a spur hammer and rounded trigger guard, I have one I'd consider selling (I have two of these, that's why). It has the original box and two serialized 15-round magazines. Condition is excellent with only minor handling marks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Jim,

Thanks for the news on it... I will have to wait a while before purchasing anything, so I still want to check out the gunshow.  I saw a 75B on Gunbroker (or another auction site) for $339.  Tack shipping and transfer fees on it, and it will probably be pretty close to what I'd pay locally.  

Thanks for the offer on the pre B, but I think I will go with a new one.  I didn't like the look of the rounded guard and spur hammer.  The new models look so nice...

I'll definitely post a review/range report when I have one in my hands!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top