Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2003 11:15:32 PM EDT
I'm looking for a .22 LR to plink with. Wont be used for hunting, just paper and pop cans.

I cannot decide between these two:

Smith & Wesson model 617 in stainless. It has a 10 shot cylinder, with adjustable sights. Cost about $500.00

or...

a Ruger Mark II Target with a 5.5 inch bull barrel. Capacity is 10rnds, but magazine fed so quickly reloadable. Cost: around $300.00

What would you pick?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't believe you haven't gotten the, "Buy them both" response yet!

I have the Ruger and couldn't be more pleased.  But, deep down, I'm more of a revolver guy (handgun hunter at heart) and would love the add something like the 617 to my collection.  I guess it boils down to the style of shooting you prefer.

Kent
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The Smith revolvers are nice, but too expensive for my tastes.

I would buy the MKII. They are more accurate than you can imagine, and they feed every type of ammo I have ever crammed into em. Much more than can be said with many .22 pistols out there.

I don't think you can go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:47:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the Ruger and save up for the Smith...a round about way to say get both, I guess.
The Ruger, if purchased in SS, can have the barrel turned down on a lathe to remove the warning stamping without further refinishing.
The Smith has class but the MKII has the edge for "fun factor" imo. (Trigger fannin' a revolver? yea right.)
But the revolver can shoot shorts and CB caps for that discreet shot.
I think either one will make you happy, you can't lose.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#4]
That's a really tough question. I agree with the "get both" answer, but then I've already done that. I got the 22 handgun bug a few years back and now own quite a few different ones.

You can shop judiciously and get a good price on a used 617.

I paid $325 for this 8-3/8" 617 earlier this year. With the right ammo, from a rest, this revolver shoots 1 hole groups at 25 yards and has no trouble shooting 1" groups at 50 yards. I've ordered a 4X pistol group to see if I can do better at long ranges, since thoase 1" groups were shot with a 4 MOA dot sight.

This is the 6-shot model; the S&W crowd prefers the 6-shot version as the actions tend to be smoother than the 10 shot versions.

Even with the complete Volquartsen internals upgrade, I have less than $400 in this Ruger Mark II 5.5" bull barrel pistol. It's not quite as accurate as the S&W at ranges over 25 yards, but hits tin cans with little trouble out to 100.

You might also want to consider an older S&W revolver. This is a Model 17, the blued predecessor of the 617. They are only available used, and a 98% gun will generally go for ~$350, possibly more with box and paperwork (which appeals to collectors).

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]

That's a really tough question. I agree with the "get both" answer, but then I've already done that.

Same here. I really like my MKIIs (I have three), but the S&W 17/617 is just so much more refined compared to them.

My MKIIs fill the need for a good, reliable, accurate autoloader. For an expendable round like the .22 LR, they're awfully nice.

The 617 is my REALLY accurate range gun. If you can appreciate nice things, then you need a K-frame .22 rimfire.

At any rate, my MKII is my "go-to" small game getter.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep the replies coming guys. I would get the 617 with a 4" barrel. I'm not really a shooter for bench accuracy, so one hole groups aren't very important to me.

I've got a 92FS Brigadier, and was thinking about getting a revolver. I used to have a lot of fun with a little six shot .22 Colt when I was younger.

I may have to get both...
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Might I also suggest a Browning Buckmark? As cheap as a Ruger & a better designed gun, IMO.

I have a S&W J frame in 22LR, 3" barrel, adj sights. I cannot remember the model #, Alzheimers is hell.    
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I would have to agree with Bob Cole. Buy the Browning Buckmark. I have owned numerous ones of each; Buckmark and the Ruger MII.
I think you will find the Buckmark has the sweetest trigger on any semi-auto. You will also find you can hit a dime at 25 yards with it.
Hell, get all three!!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Might I also suggest a Browning Buckmark? As cheap as a Ruger & a better designed gun, IMO.

And another installment of "Bobbo hates Rugers, but doesn't know why" begins. How many DIFFERENT .22 autoloader designs has Browning marketed over the last twenty-five years, Bobbo? And how many has Ruger marketed, Bobbo? And whose design REQUIRES tools for takedown, Bobbo? And whose doesn't, Bobbo? Your rhetoric is, as usual, STALE. You make no point, Bobbo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And another installment of "Bobbo hates Rugers, but doesn't know why" begins. How many DIFFERENT .22 autoloader designs has Browning marketed over the last twenty-five years, Bobbo? And how many has Ruger marketed, Bobbo? And whose design REQUIRES tools for takedown, Bobbo? And whose doesn't, Bobbo? Your rhetoric is, as usual, STALE. You make no point, Bobbo.

Don't you have a gay bar to go to?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Personal attacks...locked

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top