Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2003 7:51:41 PM EDT
Went to the range today and tried out my friends' new Springfield 1911. That thing is the most accurate gun I have every tried so far, though I'm not a very seasoned shooter. But I was wondering if anybody could give me a recommendation for a compact 1911, that would be nice for CCW. That full size 1911 is great but I wouldn't want to have to carry it all day.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at a "Commander" sized 1911 with a light weight frame. A Commander is 3/4" shorter in the slide but retains the 8rd capacity as its grip is the same as the full sized one.

Kimber makes the best "small" 1911s, avoid the Springfields, they're full of problems.

Also keep in mind that a lighter frame will allow more recoil to your hand. There's no free lunch.    
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I love 1911's also. I traded my Glock22 and Glock36 straight up for my Kimber Stainless II. I messed around with Smith's Glock's and Ruger's looking for an nice Auto I liked. Next to my Kimber the only other I even slightly like was my Ruger P90 in .45. For some reason I just liked the looks and feel of the gun. I just felt like it was rugged gun. But now its just 1911's for me. I want to get beater 1911, Like a Springfield Mil-spec or a Norinco or something or even a Rock Island or something like that. One I hope to a get of those CCU one day. Thats what I would use the beater for. My Kimber is a pistol, thats all it is, one fine at that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the "other" expensive adiction
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Springfield Mil-Spec and have had no problems with it.  Take it out quite a bit and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Kimber Ultra CDP.
I really can't say enough good things about it.  it's the best gun I have ever owned.  everything about it is great.  wonderful trigger.  fit's my hand.  takes compact 7 rnd mags but I can jam in an 8 or 10 rounder as a reload.  I think the price I paid was $850.00  but it easily shoots with $1500 and $2500.00 custom 1911's.  it feeds everything and will almost feed a fired case!  great gun.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I know what you mean about the 1911s.  I just got my first one, a Kimber Custom II.  For my first 1911 I didn't want to break the bank.  Galyan's sporting goods stores has a 10% off, 0% interest for 12 months promotion right now.  Got the Kimber for $575 + tax after the discount.

I was going to get a SA mil-spec, but after comparing the two I felt the Kimber was the better gun.  A lot of people agreed with this opinion.

Regarding carrying a ful-sized 1911.  I'm not too sure that would be such a problem.  I thought the same as you about getting a shorter barrel 1911 for carry, but I tried on my friend's carry rig with my Kimber and it was very comfortable.  You might want to try one before going with the "shorty."

Having said that, BobCole's recommendation of the Commander is a good one if you're set on a shorter barrel.  I looked at one of those too and almost bought it.  

One last thing, check out the 1911 forums at www.1911forum.com/forums/.  Lots of good info over there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
308wood; Nice pistol! I have been hankering for one of those with the 'melted' job just like yours. Maybe I'll sell something and get one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I already have a Springfield Milspec fullsize 1911, and I love it...  However, I agree with comments on carry... it's a heavy beast, so it might be a pain to carry concealed for long periods.  

So for CCW, I have two candidates... The SA Milspec Compact, and the Charles Daly Field ECS.  I'm leaning more toward the Daly, but of course, Daly's reputation lingers.  If I got the ECS, I would replace the internals and give it a THOROUGH shakedown before carrying it.  OTOH, I have heard the SA compacts are finicky, too.  Plus, for a compact, I'd rather have the niceties like a beavertailed safety and such, which the Milspec compact doesn't offer.  

I'll mull it over.. maybe try to check out a few at a gunshow sometime...
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll second the Kimber CDP. I have one that I just love. It's not as accurate as my Kimber Target II, but it's a lot handier to carry.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a full size kimber and the CDP love them both. I carry the CDP. (when i'm not in Wi.) You can't go wrong with a Kimber, nice tight tolerances. My full size holds a tight group even at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Kimber Pro Tac, which is one of Kimbers "limited" models from last year. Basicly a limited edition Pro Carry. Full sized frame, barrel just under 4", and lightwiegh full size frame.

It may have a lightwieght frame, but I shot it next to a big heavy HiCap Springfield, and I swear there was less felt recoil. AND less muzzle flip.

Kimber specially designs their Pro-Carry bull barrels to address such problems, and it works. Everyone who has shot it has been amazed.

It is light enough that I wouldn't mind packing around. But YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Welcome to the "other" expensive adiction

Ain’t that the truth!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top