Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 3:42:58 AM EDT
I believe double action only pistols (DAO) are chronically misnamed and it really grates me when someone calls something by a name that it clearly is not. It is my feeling so called DAO pistols are really single actions with a long heavy trigger pull. just so we are clear I am talking about a pistol that can only be fired by a long heavy trigger pull and can't be cocked. this comes after a lengthy discussion with a guy at the last gun show. his contention was that the first action is the trigger moving and the sear disengages were two different "actions" and because they happen during the same operation that constitutes a DAOnly trigger pull. I said lot's of things happen inside the gun, the trigger moves the pawl, the pawl rotates the cylinder, the cylinder block moves clear etc. that doesn't mean it's a quadruple action just because internal parts move when you pull the trigger.

what do you think? why is it called a DAO? or is it just a single action with a new name so it doesn't sound scary?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:22:34 AM EDT
I think the name is appropriate; think of it like this:

1) Single action refers to a firearm where the trigger fires the weapon only by releasing the hammer or striker.

2) Double action refers to a firearm where the hammer or striker may be cocked (and released) using the trigger. Almost all double action guns function as single actions, also. The hammer/striker is usually cocked automatically in an autoloader, or an exposed hammer may be manually cocked.

3) Double action only refers a firearm where the hammer/striker is never cocked by any means other than the trigger.

Now, whether DAO is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, that's another question.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:32:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fizassist:
I think the name is appropriate; think of it like this:

1) Single action refers to a firearm where the trigger fires the weapon only by releasing the hammer or striker.

2) Double action refers to a firearm where the hammer or striker may be cocked (and released) using the trigger. Almost all double action guns function as single actions, also. The hammer/striker is usually cocked automatically in an autoloader, or an exposed hammer may be manually cocked.

but that's just it. during a double action trigger pull the weapon is not cocked. the double action sear picks up the hammer and pulls it back and when it get's to a point the sear slips off the hammer and the hammer falls. to cock the weapon you have to pull the hammer back past the double action sear and it will come to rest on the single action sear.

3) Double action only refers a firearm where the hammer/striker is never cocked by any means other than the trigger.

Now, whether DAO is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, that's another question.

i guess what i am asking is in a Double action only weapon, where is the "second action"?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:08:04 AM EDT

Double action can be thought of as two separate actions happening with one trigger pull: Positioning the hammer for release, and releasing it.

You'll see that in a single action auto, the recoiling slide cocks the hammer. In a DAO auto, the hammer gets pushed back, but then 'decocks' as the slide closes.

Double Action Only is not a misnomer. It's what it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:30:14 AM EDT
In my opinion, the name DAO is accurate. The real question is what to call weapons, like the Kel-Tec P-32, that are somewhere in between single-action and double-action. The hammer is partially cocked before the trigger is pulled, so it isn't DAO, but pulling the trigger pulls the hammer back some so it isn't SA.z
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:53:43 AM EDT
still having problems accepting this. Double action only. how can you have something that is both double and only or only double? weird.

mostly because of the new Para DA 1911.

the slide cocks the pistol
then you have a long smooth trigger pull.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:09:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:
still having problems accepting this. Double action only. how can you have something that is both double and only or only double? weird.

mostly because of the new Para DA 1911.

the slide cocks the pistol
then you have a long smooth trigger pull.

Well, the Para LDA is kind of weird. The trigger will cock and drop the hammer once. But there is no restrike capability, you need to cycle the action to reset the DA trigger.

A good general way to classify SA vs DA:

Single action: releases the hammer from a precocked position

Double action: draws back the hammer and then releases it
Top Top