Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/30/2003 9:31:19 AM EDT
Hi, I got interested in a new Norinco 1911 for sale at $325 CDN. http://www.marstar.ca/Norinco/M-1911A1.htm

I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on this gun because I found the price to be much cheaper than a Colt or Sprinfield.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:21:34 PM EDT
I thought those dried up already.
Actually not bad for the money and a good foundation for a custom project.
You do know they are Chinese made?
I have fired one a long time ago and it was ok...the usual trigger work needed.
The barrel, if memory serves me, was hard chromed.
By the way, welcome aboard Sukhumvit!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:25:54 PM EDT
You might find an old 1927 Sistema a better value for the same price.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2003 8:26:43 PM EDT by Jim_Dandy]

I thought those dried up already.

In the U.S., not in Canada, eh?

Not by a long shot. Regardless of what you think of the Chinese, the Norincos are built very well to the proper dimensions out of MODERN steel. They're actually very good candidates for customization. Much more so than the VERY overhyped Springfield, INC. 1911s.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:29:16 PM EDT
Norinco is by far & away the best 1911 costing under $500-600. Decent sights & trigger & it's suddenly a damn good gun.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:30:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jim_Dandy:

Not by a long shot. Regardless of what you think of the Chinese, the Norincos are built very well to the proper dimensions out of MODERN steel. They're actually very good candidates for customization. Much more so than the VERY overhyped Springfield, INC. 1911s.

The Sistemas were better guns than the Norinco in their day, but most all of them on the market now have seen quite a few miles and are in need of some work.

For the same price I'd lean toward the Norinco, even though they are as ugly as a mud fence.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:15:37 AM EDT
Thanks for the replies guys and thanks for welcoming me aboard. It's nice to see gun enthusiasts are able to get together and discuss guns. I took another look at the picture on their website and I think those are fixed rear sights right? So if I were to go ahead and buy this gun how could I change the sights...would I just change the whole slide? And BTW as experienced gun owners would this be your first modification or something else?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:17:49 AM EDT
I would shoot it "as is" first (I think there was a cloth stuck in the barrel when new) and then get a "feel" for what you might need.
I think the rear sight is a standard dovetail, so anything that fits a 1911 type could be used.
Like Bob says...sights and trigger work, in either order, eventually.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:58:10 AM EDT
I own 5 less costly 1911A1 style pistols. I have 2 Norincos, 1 Springfield 1911A1 (loaded), 1, Sistema-Colt 1927, and a Ballester-Molina. All of these function and shoot well. Of these my #2 Norinco would be the last to go. They are all fine weapons and of them my #2 is the best. Regards, Richard:D
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:11:03 AM EDT
Thanks for more info.....but one question that's slightly more general than the Norinco's alone: what is meant by "dovetail" sights; if these were actually molded as part of the slide, how can you change them without changing the slide, also is a "hard chromed" barrel a bad thing? Sorry if these Q's are redundant but I'm a newbie trying to learn as much as possible before making a purchase -- and this forum is great for doing so!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:27:21 PM EDT
A dovetail is the type of cut...the slot that the rear sight goes into.
They should not be molded into the slide on that model.
I don't know why the Chinese barrel is hard chromed but it's not a bad thing.
It is an industrial coating done on high wear surfaces.
It's so hard that it can ruin a file, just to give you an idea how hard, I've heard, second only to diamonds.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:57:16 PM EDT
I loved my Norinco. I did have a problem with the front sight flying off. No I wasn't shooting some absurd handload, I shot either factory 230g hardball or my own reloads of 185G SWC over 4.3g of Winchester 231. It was just a bad installation of the front sight.

Had a smith fix it and also throat and polish the feed ramp. Put Pachmyer grips on it and an ambi safety. Wished I'd never sold it.

Trigger was a tad rough and the serrations were so sharp they'd cut your finger, but that was easily remedied.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:16:28 AM EDT
I love my Norinco, but you might check out the new Mil-Spec WWII style Springfields. My FFL is letting them go for under $400.

Needless to say, I am working on getting the money together now for a new Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:59:38 AM EDT
I think it has a forged frame and slide (that is nice)

It's a good platform for a custom build.

I've seen a couple really nice custom 1911's made on Norinco 1911 frame/slide platforms.

I would rate it better than Springfield in the MilSpec category and you get a Chrome lined bore.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
It says not for sale to the US.

unfortunately.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:11:07 PM EDT
Fortunately (in this case) I am in Canada....you know, the place where they spent $1 billion on an incomplete gun registry in which legit owners/enthusiasts are tagged by the police but those committing the real crimes sneak under the radar undetected. Ah, Canada, gotta love the laws!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:06:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Norinco is by far & away the best 1911 costing under $500-600. Decent sights & trigger & it's suddenly a damn good gun.

My new springfield mill spec came thru with a nm ser.#, which just happins to have a well fit bushing and frame/slide fit. It is as accurate as my old faithful 't' tuned colt, and cost less than that 500.00 otd. Sorry, no chinese norinco is better in this price range or any other.
Top Top