Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 12:50:16 AM EDT
Okay, i keep hearing about CCW holders being harassed and worry about someone being able to claim to have seen me have it out and not really being able to defend myself since it's really only a 1:4 guess as to gun appearance and their word against mine. i'd like to have a handgun painted to be completely unique and look harmless. something that doesnt alarm ppl if they accidentally catch a glimpse of it. i can give a longer discourse on my reasoning but in short:

Is there a good way to paint a gun(something besides blue or steel) that won't affect use?

i'm thinking dewalt yellow and black or safety orange?

any ideas/opinions?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
jus my thought , but if ya are carrying concealed and doing it properly, then this shouldnt ever be a concern, a gun is a gun, i would leave it the way it is, cause if ya make it look really unique and sumone does see it, you will be pinched for sure. while a glock is black along with a dozen other guns, so if sumone said they saw a GLOCK, but i really had an HK, well that would be my defense, cause now i can say they dont know what they are talking about, while ya have a bright ass yellow gun, well, you would probably be the only one around with that. also, more ppl recognize sumone having a gun more so by the IMPRINT, not the actual gun itself.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I would think that you would lose the 'deterrence factor' by doing that. If you had to draw your handgun in a defensive situation the BG might think you're pulling a toy gun on him and ignore the situation. If that were the case your only alternative would be to fire a warning shot or shoot him.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It is my understanding that automotive engine type paints do well on the parts that get hot, i.e. the barrel. I would guess epoxy type paints might wear well on the grips and such.
But like login name stated, if bystanders think it is a toy then the perp you are pointing it might think so too.
Of course one pull of the trigger would immediately rectify that misperception....
Editted to add;
Interesting thought, would a camouflage pattern help hide/disguise the gun? I am thinking along the "dazzle" type patterns the US experimented with during the 30s.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Interesting thought, would a camouflage pattern help hide/disguise the gun? I am thinking along the "dazzle" type patterns the US experimented with during the 30s.

Get a can of Plaid spray paint. Then, as long as your wearing a plaid shirt, it should blend right in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
jus my thought , but if ya are carrying concealed and doing it properly, then this shouldnt ever be a concern, a gun is a gun, i would leave it the way it is, cause if ya make it look really unique and sumone does see it, you will be pinched for sure. while a glock is black along with a dozen other guns, so if sumone said they saw a GLOCK, but i really had an HK, well that would be my defense, cause now i can say they dont know what they are talking about, while ya have a bright ass yellow gun, well, you would probably be the only one around with that. also, more ppl recognize sumone having a gun more so by the IMPRINT, not the actual gun itself.

well i disagree with just about everything you've said.. let me explain:

1. ppl who don't carry guns won't know gun brands ie HK vs Glock. in that case there are about 4 types of guns to the average Joe. Semi autos and revolvers in black or silver. therefore if someone sees the imprint and tries to say i had it out they've got a 1 in 4 chance of describing it to the satisfaction of the police. they are not going to grade the complainant on gun knowledge. i think most gun savvy ppl won't care that they see i've got one. now if someone suspects i'm carrying and wants to cause a problem and they don't guess safety orange then it will be pretty obvious that they were lying.

2. Pulling a gun really shouldn't be a deterrent and you are never supposed to 'fire a warning shot'. pull your gun, better be ready to use it. or else you are the stranger wielding the gun and you'll get shot by someone else with a gun or have it taken from you. if someone keeps coming at you with a toy gun when they have given you reason to fear for your life because they don't think it's a real gun, that seems to me to be their problem not mine. i'm not making a gun safe for the BG i'm making it safe for me.

cause if ya make it look really unique and sumone does see it, you will be pinched for sure.

Huh? this sounds ridiculous, please explain what you meant?

I have a sit down job.. i want my gun handy about 4 times a day.. but i can't conceal it on my body all day.. too uncomfortable, so i end up transferring it to my bag once i don't need it on me.. so the 2nd scenario is that if a co-worker slouches past me putting a piece of yellow plastic(looking) something into my bag vs black metal then they are far less likely to know what's no one's business but my own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top