Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 7:57:33 PM EDT
Whats the deal with these guns. They are only a few hundred bucks for a 1911. My shooting buddy swears by them. I'm a springfield man my self. I've always said 'you get what you pay for' but dose Llama apply? What do you guys think?
JIM
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, yes it applies to Llama. My cousin had one & I've fired others. While they're certainly better than Lorcin or Jennings, they're clearly no where near Springfield or even Taurus, IMO.

I'd rate them equal to Charles Daly, perhaps.

Personally, I'd never buy one unless it was for $20 or something ridiculous like that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I had two of the older ones (1980's era) that would hit about 2 feet under POA at 7 yards! Needless to say, I never bought any more of them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My very first handgun was a NIB LLama due to a friends bad advice.  While it shot good.  the slide was aluminum and the part that locks the slide on, was digging into it the more I fired.  It also jammed at least once every other mag when it was new.  I would pass on it.  just save up for a NIB XD for 400 if you are that hard up for cash.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:57:42 AM EDT
[#4]
First, they are not technically a 1911.  They are "1911 flavored."  Almost no parts interchange.

Second, they are not particularly reliable.  The luck of the draw is the primary influence on performance for these.

For nearly $300 they are not worth the headache.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd rate the Llamas at pretty much the bottom.  Definitely below Charles Daly.   I've heard good things about CD pistols.  LT got one and it's great so far.   I'm thinking about the Commander model for CC later on.

I had an older Llama 1911.  My first pistol.  Worked great for a couple hundred rounds, then the extractor broke (it's an external).  Took it to a top pistolsmith who replaced it, but it didn't work right, took it back, still didn't work right.  Got it back, and it worked great... for about 45 rounds.  Then the extractor broke again.  

Ended up selling it off at a gunshow for $100.  

I'd rate 1911s like this:  

Kimber  /  Colt
Springfield Armory / Norinco / Sistema
Charles Daly / Rock Island / Auto Ordnance
Llama
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
You can take 100 Llama's and 100 Kimbers and they'll work about the same.  Llama has a very good warrenty and will go out of the way to help you.  Almost all 1911 parts will fit, all can be made to fit except the extractor.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]
JUNK ! ! !
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Save time and money...run like the wind!
Having had more than a few, for whatever reason, I found them "off the wall" at best.
Reliability, heat treat, fit and finish, resale value aside, they still have little to offer other than initial price.
Whoever likes them, may have gotten a good one, however temporary. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
We have done a ten and ten test, between the Llama and Kimber.  They were about the same.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!
BUY ANYTHING BUT Llama SH!t!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Llama 380 mightymax I think it is. I use it just for beginers, teaching people how to shoot and what not. So far it has been good for the purpose as far as a bigger caliber or a CC gun you would have to be real high to use it for that.

Dont get me wrong it is a decent gun, but it is ment for the range and for plinking nothing more. You can just tell it is cheaply manufactured.

KC
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
My Llama shoots great, it is my truck gun, if it is stolen, will just buy another one.......cheap and no malfunctions as of yet....decent accuracy for the money spent....it's still better than a Charles Daly..
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
it is my truck gun, cheap

You would risk your LIFE on a cheap gun? My life is worth more than $200.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Like I said........mine has had no malfunctions and it shoots everything I put through it....it is my truck gun, one that I just throw in my glove box.......my carry guns when I carry are a G26, Witness 10MM compact, S&W model 66, or a AMT back-up 45ACP.......if the Llama ever fails to function, will sell it, but, probably will never happen.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#16]
if you want to put a high priced handgun in your truck to rattle around, be my guest....I trust my Llama enough not to worry about it not working right......if it is stolen, big deal,will buy something else for the truck.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Older Llamas were pretty damn flimsy. The sklide stops were braized to the slides.(Not condusive to longevity.)

Modern Llamas SEEM to be much better. However, I prefer to gamble my life on either the Colt,the CZ, or the Walther. (Occasionally the Mk VI..)

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
if you want to put a high priced handgun in your truck to rattle around, be my guest....

First of all, a gun goes in a holster, not "rattling around in a truck".

Secondly, a used S&W revolver for $200 hardly qualifies as "high priced".

You wish to stake your life on a Llama, go right ahead. I prefer to save my life.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Well gee, Bob, that's real nice of you to let me have what I want in my own truck.....carry what you want, I could care less.....I know my Llama will not let me down and I think that was the original posters question...amazing how people that read or heard about a bad handgun from Llama or any other manufacturer puts down all guns from them........mine works and that is all that counts........
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a sort of camel....is'nt it?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can take 100 Llama's and 100 Kimbers and they'll work about the same.  Llama has a very good warrenty and will go out of the way to help you.  Almost all 1911 parts will fit, all can be made to fit except the extractor.

But the 100 Kimbers will last a lot longer than the POS Llamas will.

My first semiauto handgun was a Llama,  It lasted 434 rounds (62, 7 rd mags) before the extractor broke.  I tried getting a new one but never was able to.  

I sold it shortly after and bought a Colt 1991.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the 100 Kimbers will last a lot longer than the POS Llamas will.

My first semiauto handgun was a Llama,  It lasted 434 rounds (62, 7 rd mags) before the extractor broke.  I tried getting a new one but never was able to.  

I sold it shortly after and bought a Colt 1991.

And we have four that have over 150,000 rounds through them combined.  One breakage, an extracter, Llama replaced it within a week.  Do you have any proof that a Kimber frame will last longer than a new Llama?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Now I can not speak for the 1911 model Llama.
But my girfriend's dad gave us an old (40-50 years) .380 Llama.
It's a very cool looking gun and is OK for the range.  It is not very reliabale.  I can never get an entire magazine thru the ol' girl w/o a FTF due to feed hang.
I don't really have any other experience with Llamas but would not trust myself with this particualar gun.  This old .380 looks just like a "mini-1911" and thus I enjoy shooting it regardless of it's dismal record.
Good luck finding a gun.
VF
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]
These are pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend bought a new .45 Llama Saturday and we took it out and shot it with several types of ammo.  No problems and the groups, though 2-3" low at 25 yards, were pretty good for an out-of-the-box pistol.  The trigger was a little rough, but no worse than the last Colt I bought and the gun was all steel and had excellent sights and seemed well-made.

I had an older .22 that I wish I'd kept that was pretty nice.  I have heard that the older .45s were pretty poor, but the brand new ones seem to have had most of the problems fixed, at least on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top