Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2003 5:00:06 PM EDT
Can anyone give me the pros and cons of different 9mm pistols? So far I'm stuck deciding between the XD (Which felt really nice, but would take about a year to get my grubby hands on ), the Glock 17, SIG P226, or Browning Hi-Power. I've been leaning towards the Glock, but now I'm severely tempted by the Browning. Anyone have any experience with any of these?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You are going to get a variety of different opinions on different 9mm handguns.
I could tell you my favorite is the Beretta 93FS, but the next guy will say the Beretta's handgrips are too bulky where they are perfect for me or that the trigger is too stiff, yada yada yada.
If avaialable at your local indoor range. Try renting different 9mm handguns to see what suits you the best or try asking a fellow shooter if you can try a 9mm he has.

ArmaLiter
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response! I know that I'm going to get differing opinions, but if enough people respond, I'll be able to figure out if there are any glaring flaws with any one pistol.
Unfortunately, I don't have any gun rentals anywhere nearby.
I like the Beretta 92FS's grip also, but the gun looks too pretty. I'm afraid I'll scratch it or something.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Beretta 92FS. I've fired thousands of rounds through that gun and NEVER had one problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
of the 3, I'd choose the hi-power, they fit the hand like nothing else. another pistol you should consider is the CZ75, they are both very accurate and reliable. Since they are made in eastern europe, they aren't as pricy as the 3 you mentioned but I'd take mine over any sig or glock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Browning, Glock and Sig. The Browning has the best "feel" with out a doubt.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
At the gunshop so far, I've only felt the Browning with a Hogue grip. It fit like a glove! Without the grip, does it still feel similar? (If so, the Browning's going up my list to #1 or #2)
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The Glock is hard to beat.  Very high capacity, durable, reliable, suprisingly accurate, simple, light and compact.  Not a pleasure to hold, but it shoots right.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Browning.  You'll own a pistol with history, style, functionality and feel unlike any other.

Browning.  Just the name is enough to make you want to get one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
of the 3, I'd choose the hi-power, they fit the hand like nothing else. another pistol you should consider is the CZ75, they are both very accurate and reliable. Since they are made in eastern europe, they aren't as pricy as the 3 you mentioned but I'd take mine over any sig or glock.

Got the CZ75...
For the price I paid I could buy (2), for the price of a Beretta, Glock, or Sig...
Great quality, low price...

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a Glock 19 every day, Small light and 16 rounds. Very accurate.
Goes bang EVERY time with any ammo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Without the grip, does it still feel similar? (If so, the Browning's going up my list to #1 or #2)

Yes it does

Southern Ohio Gun

Wow! These are nice! These beautifully arsenal refinished HI-Powers

are in excellent condition. Made in Argentina on Browning machinery.

These are some of the nicest Hi-Powers we've seen.

NO SALES TO CALIFORNIA
ORDER #SHG-BHP2
  $299.95 Each

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Of the four mentioned, I would go Glock, then Sig, then XD, and lastly the Browning.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on what you are using it for..

Plinking? Get a Glock 17 or Springfield XD

Concealed Carry? get a Glock 26, Sig P225, or S&W3913.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The only one I don't have is the Sig. My old favorite used to be the HP, then it turned out that I shot better with the G19, then I got an XD (but in 40) when I realized that the XD's grip was far superior. I still shoot the best with the G19.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock (my first choice) - Has the edge with capacity, simple, reliable, accurate, some will say the trigger sucks and the grips are the same but i disagree, love mine  

Sig - All i have shot is the 228(same gun, shorter barrel) fits hand great, hicaps available, reliable, accurate and good lookin, on a side note been lookin at these myself aimsurplus has police trade-ins which look to be a good deal with the only problem could be worn finish

XD - looks good, can use the .40 cal mags for legal hicaps with the 9mm, never had personal experience with these

Hi-Power - no experience whatsoever
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The High Power has been adopted as a sidearm by more armies around the world than any other firearm including the 1911. There's a reson for that.

All the guns listed will give good accuracy, all are nicely made. None will balance or have the feel of the HP though.

I do notice that all those listed are full size 9mm. I gather this gun won't be used for carry purposes?

FWIW, I saw only 3 High Powers at the gun show last weekend, one was an old Inglis.

As for cons, the Browning has none, IMO.

The cons for the Glock & XD is they ALL look the same, very little variation between millions of models. Also the spongy feel of the trigger turns off some folks.

The Sig has no real safety lock-up, it's like a revolver. Doesn't balance as well as a HP, IMO.

I've owned a Sig P-220 & just bought a Glock 32 & used to have a Glock 30. All are quality guns.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Where do you live that you would have to wait a year before getting an XD? They have a selection of them at Cheaper Than Dirt, here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the responses, everyone!
You're right, BobCole. I don't intend to use these for carrying, but mostly for plinking and competition.
Johnphin, I live in Colorado near Boulder. The shop I visit frequently is Lexington Arms.
If the XD was readily available, my priorities would probably change. Anyone know how the Glock 17 and the Browning HP compare accuracy-wise?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The onlt 9mm I would ever touch (without a "select fire" switch) would be a Browning Hi-power.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Anyone know how the Glock 17 and the Browning HP compare accuracy-wise? Thanks!

There's WAY too many variables to make any sort of definitive statement there. Ammo choice, shooter, weather individual gun, etc. etc. all combine to make liars out of all of us should we say this gun is ALWAYS more accurate than that gun.

For example, in a bullseye match my H&Ks always outshoot the Glocks. Yet when I did IDPA, the Glock guys outshot me. Did that mean that their Glocks were better than the ones I normally outshot? Or were the Glocks that outshot me have better shooters holding them?

This is a perfect reason we argue over gun brands.    
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't pass up the EAA Witness (steel frame). They're reliable as hell with any kind of ammo, they have (for me, anyway) the most comfortable grip on any handgun I've ever held. Also, the slide can be worked with the safety on, which is a nifty feature. Ridiculous sights on 'em, though; get an adjustable rear for a "Witness".

I had an Argentine Hi-power a few years back, and it was a pretty good gun; can't remember why I got rid of it. Ah...that must have been around the time I got bitten by the "Double-action" bug...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't pass up the EAA Witness (steel frame). They're reliable as hell with any kind of ammo, they have (for me, anyway) the most comfortable grip on any handgun I've ever held. Also, the slide can be worked with the safety on, which is a nifty feature. Ridiculous sights on 'em, though; get an adjustable rear for a "Witness".

The Witness is basically a CZ75 (as is the Tanfoglio's.) Damn I want a CZ75!

Edited to add that that was a stupid-ass thing of me to write - The EAA is the Tanfoglio.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#23]
WIth respect to the BHP grips other than Hogue I've used the factory original MKIII molded plastic grip with the thumb and finger grooves and also an aftermarket Navidrex.

Although the factory molded plastic grip doesn't appeal to me visually I find that in actual use it is surprisingly effective.

The aftermarket Navidrex required a little fitting but I liked the result enough that I'll buy them for my other BHP eventually.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Not to discredit any make, overall, if you reload, the Beretta and Taurus have a reputation for being "garbage mouths".
That is, IMO, a little more forgiving with regards to lead loads and hollowpoints.
Ergo speak...BHP and CZ all the way.
The Sigs and Smiths, to name a few, give you SA/DA capability, let alone the stainless steel option.
The BHP is normally only 13 shots, whereas most of the others are 15.
Some have adjustable sights to really zero in on the target with differing loads.
I think a gunshop must be the adult version of a candy store...so many choices.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I am surprised... nay, AMAZED that your topic title alone didn't bring forth a barrage of "9mm sucks - you NEED a .45, it's the only pistol cartridge wort a..." well, you get the picture.

I am a 9mm fan and own at least one of all the guns you mention considering.  The Browning HP is a true classic and the most comfortable in the hand to ME personally, but all the guns on your list are of high quality and you shouldn't be disappointed with any one of them.  For carry/defence, I probably would suggest the Beretta, Glock, SIG, or Springfield - whichever "fits" you best.  But for plinking, etc., for the reasons stated above I still lean toward the Browning, which - as mentioned above - is fully capable as a defensive weapon as well.

Of course, this being AR15.com...

GET THEM ALL!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...I could tell you my favorite is the Beretta 93FS, ...

ArmaLiter

Was this a typo (92FS?), or do you own the "Holy Grail" of Berettas, the 93R?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

True, but check these babies out. 17-round magazines for the HP:

Buy them here: www.cdnninvestments.com/hip9mm17blun.html
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Witness is basically a CZ75 (as is the Tanfoglio's.) Damn I want a CZ75!

Edited to add that that was a stupid-ass thing of me to write - The EAA is the Tanfoglio.

Very true (the Witness being a copy of the CZ, that is). I do like the frame-mounted safety of the Witness. Don't CZs now have a slide-mounted safety?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True, but check these babies out. 17-round magazines for the HP:

store3.yimg.com/I/cdnn_1741_1103693

Buy them here: www.cdnninvestments.com/hip9mm17blun.html

I've got a few of these magazines for my HPs.  They didn't want to work right at first & I almost wrote them off, but after a little use they seem to work very well.  One of these now resides in my pet "tricked-out" HP & is utterly reliable.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've got a few of these magazines for my HPs.  They didn't want to work right at first & I almost wrote them off, but after a little use they seem to work very well.  One of these now resides in my pet "tricked-out" HP & is utterly reliable.

Yeah, I never had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Iv'e shot three of the four in competition; why you would want to screw up a glock by putting a grip safety on it is beyond me, so no XP.

The Glock is the fastest of the lot, but it doesn't fit my hand well and really makes me work to make the harder shots.  The Browning HP suffers from a magazine safety, and a trigger that just doesn't meassure up.  The SIG is the best handling of the bunch, it is solid, and instills confidence in the weapon because of it's astounding accuracy.  

I decided to give up the Glock 34, and go back to the SIG.  I bought a new P226R, and I'm not looking back.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

GET THEM ALL!!!

What, you think I'm going to stop with just one?
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I think I've finally decided on the Browning Practical HP. I think that was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The Browning HP suffers from a magazine safety, and a trigger that just doesn't meassure up.

If you remove the mag safety the triggerpull is vastly improved. [hint hint]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GET THEM ALL!!!

What, you think I'm going to stop with just one?
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I think I've finally decided on the Browning Practical HP. I think that was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make...

Good call! I've had mine for 8 years, and have put all kinds of ammo through it without a single problem. And that includes using aftermarket mags.

That, and there really isn't another 9mm out there that fits the hand any better.

At least for me.

I don't think you'll be disapointed.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Browning HP suffers from a magazine safety, and a trigger that just doesn't meassure up.

If you remove the mag safety the triggerpull is vastly improved. [hint hint]

actually my practical has a great trigger with the mag disconnect in place, so does my FN mk3, on the other hand, removing it on my feg was a huge improvement. go figure.

btw, excellent choice on the practical, mr fox, I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
9mm sucks - you NEED a .45, it's the only pistol cartridge wort a...

The SIG is going to be the best, always. No matter what caliber.

I have proof.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have proof.

Would love to hear of your "proof".

Not being arguementitive. But seriously, why post something like that and not even bother posting your "proof"?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I can show you my proof.

Right now, I want you to pause.

Okay, that's enough pausing.

Now, scroll back up in this window to the top. Look in the top left corner. What do you see?

For the image that represents all handguns for the Handguns forum, there is a SIG pistol.

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#39]
One vote for the Berreta
And one for the Browning Hi-Power just got a Silver Chrome
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have proof.

VALKYRE:  Gee whiz!  Could you have quoted me any MORE out-of-context?  Your quote above makes it look like I said "that," especially for anyone who didn't see my original post.  Sorry to sound nit-picky, but I'd appreciate it if you'd fix that...

edited to add:
Thanks for the clarification below.  I might have found it more amusing if I weren't always having to defend my 9mm's (and others) from Col. Cooper's single-minded disciples...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

VALKYRE:  Gee whiz!  Could you have quoted me any MORE out-of-context?  Your quote above makes it look like I said "that," especially for anyone who didn't see my original post.  Sorry to sound nit-picky, but I'd appreciate it if you'd fix that...

Yeah! Iddinit great!?

Okay, guys, if you didn't read NickFury's original post, he said: I am surprised... nay, AMAZED that your topic title alone didn't bring forth a barrage of "9mm sucks - you NEED a .45, it's the only pistol cartridge wort a..." well, you get the picture.

I purposely misquoted him, trying to make a joke. I thought it was funny...

My motto: "Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you."

Bear that in mind whenever you post...
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#42]
HI,

Most of the campanies are making very good pistols.What it comes down to is what feels better in your hand and how you shoot it.Someone may shoot a pistol that may not feel good in my hand, I would not say that it is bad, it may not be for me but everyone is going to be different in feel and grip. Kev
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I have all but the SIG, and have shot the bejabbers out of a friend's SIG.  Heh-heh he still had to clean it...

Anyway, BHP is the most natural feeling in hand and best pointer.  No really difference in accuracy among the three, once you get the double-action shot down range.  SIG was the least well-balanced to me.  Glock is the easiest to carry/conceal with BHP an extremely close second.

Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#44]
IMHO I would go with a Glock.  They are nice right out of the box.  They shoot all types of ammo and they have a Huge support industry, IE holsters,mag carriers, night sites etc.  They are also very easy to strip and to keep clean.  That being said I almost bought a Browning HP last week.  It did feel oh so good in my hands and I was very tempted.  I looked at it for approx. 3 weeks and went back to the stores 4 days ago.  Someone else had put it on lay-away.  I think if it had still been there I might have been trying to figure out how to get it into my safe unseen by my better half!!
One thing about that last comment:  I have found that the more you have the easier it is to loose a new gun in the shuffle.  So keep buying whatever your heart desires!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Jensen Arms in loveland, CO has great service and very low prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top