Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/21/2003 8:08:01 AM EDT
I was doing an orientation with a new officer (He had already been though Basic), and we got to a lesson plan on responding to a threat off duty, and what he/she should carry/do. I though about it and I thought it was good info for all CCW, not just LEO's. Heres a list of "topic starters/points" we use to discuss this subject. What do yall think? Anything to add? Hope it is good info for yall:
(FYI: they can carry any quality handgun after they qualify with it)

Discuss with recruit:

What do you plan on carrying off duty?

If you are carrying off duty you MUST carry PD ID, OL, badge.

Are you going to carry anything else but the above? (discuss small can of OC, extra mag, cell for communication)

Have you discussed with your significant other what they should do if your involved in an altercation? (Discuss: Go get help, dial 911, be sure to give a description of you so responding units know what is going on. If you are injured/dead, do NOT go near your body. They too may become a target.)

Discuss responding to crime off duty, in and out of jurisdiction. Taking care of minor calls in jurisdiction. Example, calling in accident and directing traffic till units arrive. What about major calls? Discuss do not take action unless life is in jeopardy out of jurisdiction, do not ID yourself, BE BEST WITNESS. Example, bank robbery.

If you take action, regardless of where you are, before units arrive, be SURE to conceal weapon, have hands in air with badge in hand. Officers will fixate on any weapon they see.. Follow commands EXACTLY, be prepared to be proned out and cuffed until info is gathered.

Art in KY
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:32:09 AM EDT
Good Tips THANKS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:38:03 AM EDT
I would say a extra mag is a must, for the rare occassions, malfunctions your going to need to switch mags. Also since if it does happen you would be the only person there you might need the extra rounds.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:46:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 8:48:06 AM EDT by Wave]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:56:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 12:03:27 PM EDT by Mb121]

Originally Posted By Wave:
When confronted by Uniformed Officers and you're in plain clothes/concealed carry mode.
THE GUY WITH THE POLICE UNIFORM ON IS THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE SITUATION, OBEY HIS COMMANDS! Seriously, being a tough guy/pain in the ass does not help the situation.

As for taking police action, only if you're life is in 100% Jeopardy or it's a big time felony. Just remember---> hero's die.

There have been cases where the off duty LEO has been shot by his fellow officers because he did not follow there commands. Like Wave said follow their commands they are the uniformed authority there your just a off duty cop in plain clothes.

From what I remember about the use of deadly force in NY, only "justified" use of the option is if your life is immediate danger or if another person's life is in immediate danger. Thats what I can remember off the top of my head, theres probably more detail to it. If you use deadly force your going to get sued by someone and sent to court, it isn't a maybe its a given.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:24:21 PM EDT
In VA you can only use deadly force if you or your family's life are in mortal danger.
Top Top