Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2003 3:07:08 AM EDT
I carry Federal 230gr Hydrashoks. They performed well in my 1st SHTF situation. My only complaints are the cost (which is inherent in any premium defense ammo) and that the bullet shape disfigures slightly when chambering a few times (I wonder if this affects accuracy and performance, & if so how much). So now they have these expanding FMJs, which seem to work much like a JHP, only they look like they feed better and won't deform over a few chamberings.

Anybody have experience with them? Are they a worthwhile substitute? FWIW, I carry a Para C7.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone else besides the crickets?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
[crreeeek! creeeeek! creeeeek!]

Sorry, dude. I just felt badly enough that I had to respond. Are you talking about the "Pow'r'Ball" from CorBon?

I currently have a Glock G21 & have seen that JHP deformation you mentioned from repeated chambering/clearing. Considering a G36 once I get my papers (in the works, now) and will be going through that sequence even *more* frequently once I do, so I'm pretty interested in feedback on this myself.

If I find out any details before the crickets have more informative company, I'll post 'em here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't killed anything but a cat with one of the 124gr EFMJ 9mms.  It was a one-shot stop.

You can't go wrong with Hydra-Shok in the .45, IMHO.  That's not necessarily true in other calibers, but I really like it in the .45.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven’t used them, so I can’t give you a straight answer.

However, another BIG advantage to them is that they won’t plug up with clothing or such and fail to expand.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, they are available only in 200 grain .45’s.  I suspect they need a little extra velocity to expand – though that’s just a guess on my part.

As far as a round getting beat up after repeated chambering, an even worse possibility is that the bullet can begin to migrate into the casing – which can jack up pressures and cause a malfunction.  This can also happen with a full metal jacket.

I try to rotate out the top round after chambering it a time or two and use it for practice.

Incidentally, www.ammolab.com has some test results for these rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not really fond the of EFMJ rounds. In many of the tests I have seen there is often a 20% failure rate when it comes to expansion. And besides this, I am not crazy of the rounded shaped edges on the bullets that do expand. Personally, I prefer the 230 gr Winchester Ranger and Speer Gold Dot. They have sharp petals on their edges when expanded and they also seem more consistent in expanding than the EFMJ or the Hydra-Shok for that matter.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The Federal EFMJ is only available in 45 caliber as a 200g +P.

Chronograph results as follows:

5" Government  = 1005 fps average
4.6" Glock 21 = 986 fps average
4.25" Commander = 971 fps average
4" BarSto custom (G30) = 966 fps average
3.78" Glock 36 = 960 fps agerage
3" Kimber Ultra Carry = 876 fps average

According to Ammo Lab they do not perform as well as other JHP loads, but are recommended over FMJ ball.

The CorBon Power Ball is more well thought of by Ammo Lab because of the cutting edges of the expanded bullet (as mentioned by Charging_Handle). I don't like the 165g weight of the Power Ball but, YMMV!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The only reason for Federal and CorBon developed the type is to offer something that is better than FMJ for New Jerseyans. That was the initial impetus for it anyways. They were never intended to be better than JHPs.

Secondarialy it has given a new lease on life for old Argentine .45's and Hi-Powers and Spanish Star Supers that couldn't reliably feed hollowpoints but were otherwise decently functional and inexpensive guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top