Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 6:00:40 PM EDT
Could I legally make my own clip for my XD9?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it hold no more than 10 rounds, i don't see why it would be illegal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

?

I don't follow. I said Yes, i beleive it is legal.

Just because you privately manufacture it, doesn't mean federal rules don't apply.

Now..... i would be legal to make a high cap. mag IF you did so before the ban.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I know Nam and thanks for the reply...I miss my glock 30 rounder...just dont miss my glock.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahh..... i feel your pain.

With all luck....we will have our high cap mags back in a year or so.

Another thought though....

It is illegal to manufacture a high capacity mag. however, if you are looking for a 30 rnd mag..... you can legally take 2 15rnd pre ban magazines and combine them into one. IT would take some handiwork. But...as long as the mags still function in the original weapon they were designed for, it's perfectly legal.

Just an idea.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Why don't you just use the XD40 mags?  They work usually without modification.  At the very most you will have to adjust the feed lips a little.  They hold 13 or 14 rounds of 9mm and can function in both weapons.  It would be a whole lot cheaper than fabricating your owns mags.  

Since this is AR15.com, I do have to point out that i used the word "magazine" , which is the correct term for the device specified, and not "clip", which would be incorrect.  Just bustin' on you, sorry.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive got the XD.40 mag and Im not happy with it. I miss my glock factory 17 rounder. I think Im going to have to one of the other gun clips that also work for the XD. Id like to keep the 17 round capacity my glock had.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Gee, I thought the XD, like all other semiauto pistols, used magazines instead of clips.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope Mec-Gar starts cranking out some 17 round XD9 mags and 12 round XD40 mags when the AWB sunsets and YES I do think it will sunset. I think most DemocRATs have notice the number of seats they have lost since stupid ass Klinton signed the AWB into law and how the Republicans won WV and TN, two states that are almost alway democRATic. There might be a few that try to push it through but I think Bush know he's in office because of the NRA and its members.

BKVic
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]
bite me larry!...bite me!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
you can modify a Beretta preban mags to work in a XD9. i have friends that cut the mag hole in the front of the mag w/ a Dremmel tool. plus you should still be able to find +3 mag extensions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
stingerjg: Ive heard of this. I think the other  mags might stick out a little below the grip which wouldnt bother me at all. How much does pre-ban beretta mag hold? Ive still got my factory hi-cap glock...maybe I could sell it and get a couple beretta mags?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#13]
15 rounds
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Go CDNN and purchase some Beretta 92 hicap mags.
Now look at the hole location in your XD9, (mag catch). Make same hole in Beretta mag and wala, 15rd XD mag. My understanding is that if this mag will still fit and function in the Beretta its legal. If I am wrong someone please chime in, that's my story and I am sticking to it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#15]
full-clip is correct.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
This one is my favoritecdnninvestments.com/ber92f9mm17b.html
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Siennfein, looks like you are on the right track. I am sure you are loving that XD, I have the orginal HS2000 which was the roots for the XD series. I like mine better because it cost me about 200 bucks less than a XD. I can't wait until the come out with the XD45. That will be some fine weapon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Gee, I thought the XD, like all other semiauto pistols, used magazines instead of clips.

Like all other semi-auto pistols? ? ? ? Sir, maybe you should go back to handguns 101 and repeat the course........... Many handguns have used clips such as the Broomhandle Mauser and other early 20th century designs.  Your assumption that ALL handguns use mags is simply false and ill educated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
full-clip: yes I do love it. I remember my buddy giving me grief about getting one because I used to own a glock and he thought I should replace it with another one. The fact is, I love the looks better than my glock, the design is better IMO, not to mention the grip safety and indicators that tell you its cocked and loaded. If it was the same price a glock Id still get the XD....the green handled one this time! That would go good with my Kolpin AR bag!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like all other semi-auto pistols? ? ? ? Sir, maybe you should go back to handguns 101 and repeat the course........... Many handguns have used clips such as the Broomhandle Mauser and other early 20th century designs.  Your assumption that ALL handguns use mags is simply false and ill educated.

Nope, those were magazines.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:01:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice pic's, now all you have to do is Teflon-Moly that slide green and you'll really be smokin.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:52:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Nope, those were magazines.

No sir those were clips.  I realize now that you just don't know the difference, but a magazine has an internal spring, a clip is merely a strip of metal without a spring.  In can be, and normally is, pushed by a spring from an attached magazine, like you see on the SKS or Mosin Nagant.  But it is not a magazine without that feature.  Many early 20th century handguns used clips as a cost saving feature.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Aye SouthernShark, but you admit that an internal magazine is still a magazine, no? So technically what LARRYG said is true.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:06:51 AM EDT
[#24]
The two most common semi-automatic handguns that used stripper clips to feed:

Broomhandle Mauser:

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/shooting/shot-txt.html

Also known under a variety of other names including, C96, M96, Bolo, Broomhandle, Large Mauser pistol, M712,  Schnellfeuer, Pistole 7.63 and Model 1930. In the context of this website, 'C96' should be taken as referring to a full size model with a 5.5 inch barrel, standard sized grips, 10-round fixed magazine fed by stripper clips and tangent rearsights usually marked 50-1000 yards, firing an 85 grain bullet at 1400 feet per second through a 1 in 8 inch barrel twist.

Steyr-Hahn:

http://home.alltel.net/randyric/pm1912.htm

The Steyr-Hahn (hahn is German for hammer) pistol was first produced in 1911 with a fixed blade front sight, the model M11. It is an 8 shot top loader that is stripper fed, shooting the 9mm Steyr cartridge. The model M12 with dovetailed front sight is otherwise identical. The M12 was elvaluated for military use, but was not adapted by the Austrian Army until the First World War began. The gun was produced until 1919 although it is believed that many were assembled from parts for several years thereafter. The Romanian police used the Steyr-Hahn and that version bears a Romanian Crest. The Chilean Army adopted the M11 and that model bears a crest also. It should be noted that serial numbers for the Romanian contract guns are directly continued into the guns produced for the Austrian Army, when the contract for Romania was discontinued. Guns with both Romanian contract parts and Austrian acceptance proofs are common for this transition period. About 300,000 were made in all. A few Steyr-Hahns Model M16 in full auto with extended magazines were used in WWI and by early Austrian Nazis. The Czechs were known to have converted some military issue Steyr-Hahns to full auto with a similar mechanism as the factory produced weapons but without the extended magazine. A wooden shoulder stock/holster with a cup that accepts an unaltered Steyr-Hahn's frame about the grip is occasionally seen.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:08:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Aye SouthernShark, but you admit that an internal magazine is still a magazine, no? So technically what LARRYG said is true.

Ah ok...... and President Clinton did not have sex with that woman either.........
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok, nitpicking time.
The mauser C96 types do not use clips to operate. A stripper clip is not a "clip". Example, M1903 rifles are magazine fed weapons that can use a stripper clip to feed the magazine, same as an AR15 or AK47. None of these are clip fed weapons however. The C96 has an internal box magazine with the exception of the models designed to use a detachable box type magazine. To the best of my memory the Steyr is also an internal box magazine best fed with a stripper clip.
On the other hand not all semi-auto pistols are magazine fed. An example being the Webley-Foster semi automatic revolver, but then again is it a revolver or a pistol? And of course the old time "harmonica" type pistols. I am also wondering about the classification of a light weight short barrel AR15 with a belt feed conversion. How about pepperboxes?
Anyway, I have to get back to my life now. I really need to check the condition of my boats batteries.
Y'all have a good day now ya hears....
GaryM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top