Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 12:00:19 PM EDT
Need some info on Pro Mag pistol mags. there Web site offers full lifetime replacement. Is this like USA brand magazines under a different company name? There Hi Cap Pistol mags dont seem to retail very high? Whats the quality and preformence like? Reliable? Thought about getting a few for my P228 Sig.  Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
They are good range mags. I would only carry Factory mags for Self defense though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a pair of Promags for my FEG BHP clone.  My only gripe is that they're too short to fit 147gr. Golden Sabers, making me afraid to waste money on other 147gr. loads that may not fit.

Aside from that, I haven't had a mag-related hiccup, and I trust these mags for defense.

Edit:  Good price on them at www.entreprise.com/Catalog/Magazines/ProMag.htm
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Try ACT-MAGS made in Italy for 1911's and P220's They are the sweetest mag out there lately.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Pro-Mags seem to be not as good as Mec-gar or factory...and better than USA, triple K and other generics.
I have one odd ball magazine with a sticker on it stating "13 rounds of 9MM or 10 rounds of .40 cal."
It looks like they split the diff between the 9 and 40 feed lips to make it work.
For $39, you can get the 226 15 rounders, slightly used.
They don't hang down that far, especially when used as back up mags, in the pouch.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
i have one for my Ruger 9mm, like said above, its a good range mag, haven't had any probs out of it, but i only keep factory for defense
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
(I just cut and pasted my reply to the question in the SIG section, Hope it helps):

The majority consensus on the Pro Mag brand is to avoid them. Most aftermarket mags like ProMag, USA, etc, are not deemed reliable.

With that said, I have several Pro Mag hi-caps for my 228. 3 of them were very reliable from the start. I did get one used one, and it wouldn't keep the slide locked back when empty, and had multiple failures to feed. The mag spring was quite loose and easy to load....In fact I could squeeze 15 rounds into a 13-round mag. I replaced the spring, and it works well. I don't know what it is, but every other pro mag I've owned for different pistols have been unreliable. The SIG 228 and 226 have accepted them with open arms.

The best aftermarket hi-cap mags are made by MecGar...as they were one of the original manufacturers for SIGSauer. Unfortunately, these sell for nearly the same price as factory hi-caps.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I dunno about the metal mags but I have several of the pre-ban Glock clone mags that they made & these work fine in my G19's
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I would avoid them unless I just wanted a cheap mag for the range, and then don't expect much of them for that purpose. I bought 6 of these Pro Mag 15 rounders for a Smith and Wesson 5906, and out of the batch, two wouldn't even fit into the pistol! The other 4 fit but 2 of those wouldn't feed right. So I finally just got ticked off and destroyed the 4 useless mags and gave the other 2 to a buddy for range use. Then I bought some factory stainless 15 rounders and some post-ban 10 rd Mec-Gars and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

FWIW, Pro Mag actually makes some pretty decent 10 round mags now for Mini-14 rifles. But many of the Pro Mag pistol hi-caps were made in a rush to beat the ban and suffered terrible quality control. If only the hi-cap ban does sunset, it will be awesome the cool things that will once again hit the market. Can you say Mec-Gar hicaps all around? LOL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top