Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2003 1:10:40 PM EDT
waiting on my Sig226 NICS forms to finish up...picking it up thursday. How do I tell how many rounds have been put through this gun? Supposedly there are a couple rounds put through it at the factory, but I just learned that the shop I bought from likes to pull a fast one...they will put the gun out on display as new, but on the forms will write "used"...I dont remember seeing "used" or "new" written, it could have been either. I just want to double check that its actually "new"

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
ASK !!!.......it's that simple.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Asking is good, I often ask for a demonstration on how to field strip a firearm for cleaning and such.  Once your Sig is stripped it will be obvious how much wear has occurred from the barrel and recoil spring contact. If the barrel has little or no blue left she has be fired many times.

Check the barrel at the exit end to ensure no nicks or dents exist that could diminish accuracy.  Mostly top shelf handguns like Sig, Glock, and H&K can be fired thousands of times without any significant decline in dependability.  Many handguns need to have a couple of hundred rounds run through them to smooth them up a bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
And if it is used but they didnt tell me that?

so if the barrel still has its external blue, im good to go?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If it came with a warranty card it is new.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Finish wear on bearing surfaces is one sign. Look down the barrel to see if it has any excess deposits on it...this indicates it hasn't been cleaned, which may mean the previous owner didn't take good care of it.

I picked up a Glock 30 a few years ago (while looking for a pocket 9mm) that was "used", but it was in the factory tupperware and still had the copper-colored factory lube on it and came with all the factory accessories. Couldn't have had more than a box of ammo through it. Walked out with it 30 minutes later (had a NICS-exempt state CCW at the time) with 2 Pearce equipped mags for under $400. A good day for dbrowne1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top