Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 7:38:51 AM EDT
So recently, I bought myself and my lady friend a Kimber.  Pro Tactical II for me, and a Ultra Carry for her.

Went shooting them yesterday for the first time, and let me say...NEITHER OF US LIKE THEM.  I've shot 1911 style guns before, but NONE of them had the recoil bite that these two pistolas had.  We're both very disappointed.  My USP .45 feels like a .22LR compared to both of these Kimbers.

So, I've been thinking about a barrel swap on both of them.  Maybe to 9mm, .40, or .38 Super.  I think I know how the 9 and .40 will feel, but I've never shot a .38 Super.  

So, my question is:  How does the recoil of the .38 Super compare to other cartridges like the .45 or the 9mm?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, it'll feel like a .40 since it has similiar ballastics.

Sorry to hear that neither of you don't like your guns. It's a PITA when one buys a nice gun that turns out to be a klunker.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I suppose the .38 will have faster recoil. I personally don't mind recoil, except in magnum revolvers. .357 snubbies and hot loaded .44s get old fast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 1:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
In my opinion .40 has more recoil than .45.  .45 is more of a nice push where as .40 is sharp and snappy.  I'd suggest selling the guns and getting something else.  Maybe try a 1911 that was already built for .38 super.  Its gonna cost allot to get your current .45 shooting the .38 super.  Its not just a matter of swapping out the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 3:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
what schman45 said!i have a ultra carry kimber in .45 and love it.i also have a colt goverment 5 inch in .38 super.this is possably my favorite gun.i love the .38 super in the 1911 platform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top