Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2003 4:33:43 PM EDT
I'm putting a MCormick full length guide rod in my RI 1911 and its too long to install the bushing once the slide is installed on the frame. I'm able to assemble the slide first and then put it back on the frame and it seems to work okay. Is this acceptable? My kimber can be installed after putting the slide back on (with the tool) so the extra length concerns me...

Edited to add:

I see that the new guide rod doesn't seat flat against the frame. I'm guessing that could be a problem since it doesn't have a flat surface to recoil against. So a little dremel work to the rod boss and its OK now... Dremels rock!
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't mind my asking, why are you going for the full length guide rod?  Even if you get it fitted you risk having it unscrew at some point and then it's assembled and you can't get it apart.

Saint John knew what he was doing with the stubby guide rod.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what Hop said.

Ingenius solution to a non-extistant problem.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you don't mind my asking, why are you going for the full length guide rod?  Even if you get it fitted you risk having it unscrew at some point and then it's assembled and you can't get it apart.

Saint John knew what he was doing with the stubby guide rod.

I did get it fitted and actually I'm just upgrading other parts of this pistol and the guide rod falls into the category of "my other 1911's have one"... So why do the better 1911's use them if it doesn't serve a purpose?The unscrewing thing is new to me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a one piece guide rod you will need to assemble the slide first then mount it on the frame.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The unscrewing "problem" would only be a problem if you have a two piece guiderod.  A small amount of plumbers tape will keep it from unscrewing.   If you have a one piece guide rod dont worry about it.  I put full length guide rods in all my 1911's.  The  one piece rods are usually a little long and require you to remove (abrasive wheel, buffer, dremel, etc)a little of the muzzle end of the rod off for it to clear the bushing.  

There are usually debates over the functionality of FLGR's.  I dont buy the "John Browning didnt put one on there so it doesnt need it" argument.  Browning didnt put extended saftey and slide release controls, beavertails, hex head grip screws, novak type sites etc. on there either, but those items have become commonplace and accepted on many 1911's. These items along with the one piece guide rod issue is a matter of personal preference.

I have  had a spring bind with a non-FLGR gun.  I have had gun group better once a FLGR was installed.  If you've got one, dress the muzzle end and get it in there, its not going to hurt anything.

Edited to add:  If you happen to have a mercury filled or spring loaded guide rod setup, I'd be a little more careful with how much of the end of the rod you remove.  There should be enough metal in a well made rod to allow fitting.  Remove just enough metal to allow installation of the bushing.  This can usually be done by removing small amounts, checking for fit, repeat -  you get the idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top