Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2003 2:44:20 AM EDT
My friend is looking to sell his Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag and I have no idea what it would be worth.  It was purchased around '91 and was not part of some recall he mentioned.  It's a 4" barrel also.  It's only had a couple hundred rounds through it and the quality it maybe an 8 or 9 out of 10.  The gun work great and it accurate, I've shot it, but I didn't think it would garner much money since it's single-action, has to be loaded one at a time, and is an odd caliber.  

Any thoughts on its value would be appreciated.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I own one of the pistols you describe, except with about 4000 rounds through it.  I would expect maybe $200-$250.  I don't have any published values to back that up, but for the reasons you list I doubt you would get much more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
yea, 200.00 is about right.
there is a glut of pistols in the market and a nice old gun like that is just not worth much.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
$200?!

Not hardly at least in this neck of the woods.
Even going by the Blue book it would be a 70% gun to rate a price like that.  The 41 magnum is worth a premium.

The last one I saw at a show here went for $325.  I know because I tried getting it for a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$200?!

Even going by the Blue book it would be a 70% gun to rate a price like that.  The 41 magnum is worth a premium.

The last one I saw at a show here went for $325.  I know because I tried getting it for a lot less.

Really?  I even told him 200 myself, not knowing for sure.  What should I tell him to do?  I suggested to him to go to a gun show here, but maybe he'd be better off trying to sell it on the net?

Any addition thought would be much appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
.41 Mag Blackhawks are relatively rare, and command a premium.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
you said he want's to sell it.
if he wants to let it sit around or haul it to every gun show for the next 6 months he might be able to get 350.00 but "the book" price is not a realistic sellable price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
.41 BH is not that rare.  i ordered one, new, 4 5/8's bbl, back in January.  came in in two days.  price was in the 3's, don't remember exactly.  it is a good shooter, but, needs some diff grips for me anyway.

you may get close to 3 for it, but, i wouldn't expect more with new ones just a tad higher.

my advice:  buy it yourself.  it is a good gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
$200?!

I'll sell you mine for $275.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$200?!

I'll sell you mine for $275.  

that's my point exactly.
to put it another way.  there are a lot of bass in the lake but if you want to ketch one today  you need to use extra juicy bait.  if you are willing to go fishing 10-12 times then you can skimp on the lure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top