Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/7/2003 2:44:20 AM EDT
My friend is looking to sell his Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag and I have no idea what it would be worth. It was purchased around '91 and was not part of some recall he mentioned. It's a 4" barrel also. It's only had a couple hundred rounds through it and the quality it maybe an 8 or 9 out of 10. The gun work great and it accurate, I've shot it, but I didn't think it would garner much money since it's single-action, has to be loaded one at a time, and is an odd caliber.

Any thoughts on its value would be appreciated.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:15:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2003 7:17:06 AM EDT by Green_Canoe]
I own one of the pistols you describe, except with about 4000 rounds through it. I would expect maybe $200-$250. I don't have any published values to back that up, but for the reasons you list I doubt you would get much more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:32:33 AM EDT
yea, 200.00 is about right.
there is a glut of pistols in the market and a nice old gun like that is just not worth much.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:20:03 PM EDT
$200?!

Not hardly at least in this neck of the woods.
Even going by the Blue book it would be a 70% gun to rate a price like that. The 41 magnum is worth a premium.

The last one I saw at a show here went for $325. I know because I tried getting it for a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:22:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Phil_in_Seattle:
$200?!

Even going by the Blue book it would be a 70% gun to rate a price like that. The 41 magnum is worth a premium.

The last one I saw at a show here went for $325. I know because I tried getting it for a lot less.

Really? I even told him 200 myself, not knowing for sure. What should I tell him to do? I suggested to him to go to a gun show here, but maybe he'd be better off trying to sell it on the net?

Any addition thought would be much appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:53:00 AM EDT
.41 Mag Blackhawks are relatively rare, and command a premium.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:03:48 AM EDT
you said he want's to sell it.
if he wants to let it sit around or haul it to every gun show for the next 6 months he might be able to get 350.00 but "the book" price is not a realistic sellable price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:10:51 AM EDT
.41 BH is not that rare. i ordered one, new, 4 5/8's bbl, back in January. came in in two days. price was in the 3's, don't remember exactly. it is a good shooter, but, needs some diff grips for me anyway.

you may get close to 3 for it, but, i wouldn't expect more with new ones just a tad higher.

my advice: buy it yourself. it is a good gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:19:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2003 11:19:55 AM EDT by Green_Canoe]

$200?!

I'll sell you mine for $275.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:32:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:

$200?!

I'll sell you mine for $275.

that's my point exactly.
to put it another way. there are a lot of bass in the lake but if you want to ketch one today you need to use extra juicy bait. if you are willing to go fishing 10-12 times then you can skimp on the lure.
Top Top