Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2003 6:00:04 PM EDT
Amongst the "production guns" where does Springfield rank?  I realize there are Wilsons etc, but how well does springfield's 1911's stack up against its contemporaries?  Thanks for your imput.
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 a little over a month ago and really like it.  Have about 300 rounds thru it and no problems and shoots good.  Don't know how they rank but they are a good gun for the money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The production guns suck (mine jammed 43 times out of 50 rounds (slide didn't fully close last 1/8inch))

That was the best result of 500rounds of ammo I put through it 50 rds at a time.

It was a SS Loaded 1911.

My Trp Would do that on the first round of a fresh mag only but it was still anoying

My Kimber fed reliably and shot 5inch or less at 25 yds.

I reccomend Kimber, Colt or Dan Wesson for"production custom guns"  The new Colts are supposed to shoot much better than before Kimber gives you all kinds of nice features like 30Lpi fronstrap checkering and DW will give you a hand-fitted Jarvis match barrel on some models.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My last 5 SA's were all 100% flawless. Tops in my book. I plan on another soon.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1911A1 loaded is 100% as well, 2k rounds downrange and still never missed a beat... Plus is Sooo pretty!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Have a mil-spec that is nearly as accurate as my Kimber Custom II at 15 yards right out of the box. I ditched the factory mag and use shooting stars at the range and power mags for carry and its flawless (on brass case ammo). The factory mag did fumble the eighth round regularly.

Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My milspec is 100% too.  Right out of the box it was that way, and I went ahead and replaced some things (hammer/trigger/sear, etc.)  Still 100%.  I use the factory mag, Shooting Star 8 rounders, and the USGI 7 rounders from ammoman.com.  I can't find anything to break this thing
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I also have a SA1911 A1 Mil-spec.  GREEAATTT gun for the money.  Mine was $399 (nah nah nah nah nah).  I've got about 250rds through it, and it's breaking in REALLY nicely.  Action gets a lot smoother after a few hundred, and the trigger seemed like it's loosened up a bit.  Trigger pull is really crisp, and drops really good.  Once you get the hang of it, it's a blast to put the bullet where you want to.  

I got to used to my Sig 239, and how easy it is to clean and break down, so I'm constantly complaining about the 1911 in that respect.  I suck it up though, as this gun is just a joy to own/shoot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Very good in a service grade pistol; nice fit and finish for the money. They can group very well and run some hollow points like ball. I'd rank it #1 for a cost effective entry 1911.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.  Good to know the consensus is positive.  I have the "Loaded" OD Green, 5" Service Model -- out of the box with "Loaded" frame, Delta-Style Hammer, National Match Aluminum Trigger, Novak Rear Sight, Extra Power Firing Pin Spring, 9mm Titanim Firing Pin, National Match 2-piece Recoil Spring Guide, National Match Guide Plug (Stainless). Cost -- $614.00
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I rate them better than Colt's that's for sure. I will only buy Springfields from now on. The Milspec is a better bargin than any Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Another 100% here.  Finally got to put around 250 rounds through my new Milspec, and it didn't hiccup once.  I had a stainless Loaded, and it ran great, too.

A buddy had a Loaded with Target sights that wouldn't go into battery a lot of the time.  Turned out to be a burr on the spring plug binding on the full length guide rod.  Take the rod out, it worked fine.  Replaced it, and it worked fine.  

They get my vote.  Mucho bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#13]
After two trips back to SA and one broken slide, and the replacement gun being a jam-a-matic, I will never touch another SA 1911.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm on my 4th that has performed 100%.  I am actually on my way to CO to put another on layaway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Amongst the "production guns" where does Springfield rank?  I realize there are Wilsons etc, but how well does springfield's 1911's stack up against its contemporaries?  Thanks for your imput.

Springfield is a very good handgun, the 1911-A1 I shot was in 9mm and was accurate and reliable.  The only problem that I had was that the magazine would not seat properly unless inserted it with a good tap to the bottom.  Other than that it was great.  Now the Wilson Combat 1911's are not production, they are customized firearms like the kimbers, alot of time is spent on each one.  Thats were the high price tag comes into play.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#16]
They are good.  Ive just become used to replacing extractors with Wilson parts and junking what ever magazine comes with them.  Ive had no real problems with any Springfield 1911 and the mil-spec I just picked up is one of the better made one Ive ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Springfield is a very good handgun, the 1911-A1 I shot was in 9mm and was accurate and reliable.  The only problem that I had was that the magazine would not seat properly unless inserted it with a good tap to the bottom.  Other than that it was great.  Now the Wilson Combat 1911's are not production, they are customized firearms like the kimbers, alot of time is spent on each one.  Thats were the high price tag comes into play.

Mb -- Ya know, a long time ago I read where it was a common misnomer for people to think you only needed to gently slide the magazine into a 1911.  What I read from the author was -- "insert the magazine with assertiveness."  Now, I am no expert but that is how I have always inserted my mags ever since and I have never had a failure (knock on wood) with my Colt Series 70 or my SA "Custom Loaded 1911-A1.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't have any burrs on my gun (their were 500 rds through it and it still jammed 43 times out of 50 rds).

I think the concensus with SA is a lot of them are good but some of them are TERRIBLE.

I've never heard Kimber that would jam on a regular basis.

I just bought a TRP OPERATOR (which turned out jamming on the first round from every mag) but I bought it for the frame and slide I'm replacing all the parts and having it assembled in a way that I can trust.

I would say buy the Sprinfield only if you are ready to spend $300 to get it functioning right if you get a lemon. (And NO I am not talking about custom shop guns the custom shop guns are really nice 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would say buy the Sprinfield only if you are ready to spend $300 to get it functioning right if you get a lemon.

FWIW - Same thing can/should be said about every company in existance that makes firearms.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm happy with my Springfield Milspec 1911. The sights were just a hair off to the left. A brass hammer and drift punch fixed that, I expect to sight in every gun, so thats not a problem.

There was a sharp edge of the tang of the grip safety. Would cut or bliste the web of my hand if i fired over 100 rounds a day.  Dremel tool and Cold Blue fixed that.

Reliablilty has been 100% with CCI Blazzer, Federal American Eagle And Georgia Arms Gold Dot
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got the Mil-Spec also and have not had ANY problems of ANY type. Added a full-length guide rod ($17.50 from DPMS) and as far as accuracy goes, well, you do not want me shooting at you with this pistol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I wont buy another Kimber and I plan on buying at least 2 more Springfields.  I had an interesting conversation with the guy who owns Quanitco Arms (an advertiser here).  This was his quote when we were discussing the differences:

"We carry the Kimber to help us sell the Springfields."

It was his opinion, which I share that the SA is just built better.  Its almost an esoteric thing but when you pick up both of them side by side, you'll put the Kimber down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top