Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
Anybody have the scoop on this?

Pros and cons?

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
I've had a set of headers ceramic coated before. No experience with firearms, didn't even know they did it honestly. How it would benefit a firearm, specifically a pistol I don't know. I could see a machine gun though.

I hate the feel of ceramic so I couldn't stand it on a firearm at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:14:14 PM EDT
It may be superior to the other spray on and bake finishes, but that is what it is. I have seen several pieces that have been done and they look and feel great. I have not been able to check one out since it came back from the sandbox to see how durable it is.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:15:50 PM EDT
I had my Sig 220 done by a company called Fit-4-Duty. They used a product called "Ceracote" or "CeraKote", something like that... Anyway, it is a ceramic finish that I am pretty impressed with. Now, Hawaii doesn't allow CCW, so this finish has not been subjected to the harsh conditions of carry, but it seems tough and looks good.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:56 PM EDT
Nice pistol! I am interested in getting my XD 9 Micro slide done in OD or silver. I was maybe contemplating on doing it on my Glock 19 and maybe my beater AR.

Max
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
Here's the info from the Cerakote website.

www.nicindustries.com/Page.asp?NavID=171

www.nicindustries.com/files/md_c-105_gun_productdata.pdf

All of the Spray on - and Bake finishes are basically Hightech Paint.

Their abrasion and chipping resistance are good , but they are not as durable as
plating or parkerizing.

You can get lots of colors though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:47:12 AM EDT
Due to the fact you can get them in ceramics good to 2000degrees I see them as the ideal finish for sound suppressors but no-one is using them (they are still using the moly's that will at times burn off.
Top Top