User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
Anybody have the scoop on this?

Pros and cons?

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had a set of headers ceramic coated before. No experience with firearms, didn't even know they did it honestly.  How it would benefit a firearm, specifically a pistol I don't know. I could see a machine gun though.

I hate the feel of ceramic so I couldn't stand it on a firearm at all.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
It may be superior to the other spray on and bake finishes, but that is what it is. I have seen several pieces that have been done and they look and feel great. I have not been able to check one out since it came back from the sandbox to see how durable it is.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my Sig 220 done by a company called Fit-4-Duty.  They used a product called "Ceracote" or "CeraKote", something like that...  Anyway, it is a ceramic finish that I am pretty impressed with.  Now, Hawaii doesn't allow CCW, so this finish has not been subjected to the harsh conditions of carry, but it seems tough and looks good.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice pistol!  I am interested in getting my XD 9 Micro slide done in OD or silver.  I was maybe contemplating on doing it on my Glock 19 and maybe my beater AR.

Max
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the info from the Cerakote website.

www.nicindustries.com/Page.asp?NavID=171

www.nicindustries.com/files/md_c-105_gun_productdata.pdf

All of the Spray on - and Bake finishes are basically Hightech Paint.

Their abrasion and chipping resistance are good , but they are not as durable as
plating or parkerizing.

You can get lots of colors though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Due to the fact you can get them in ceramics good to 2000degrees I see them as the ideal finish for sound suppressors but no-one is using them (they are still using the moly's that will at times burn off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top