Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 6:28:48 PM EDT
I went shooting today again which started out well until I wanted to test my handgun accuracy
the pistols used were a Glock 23 (fo-tay) and a Sig 226 (9mm) needless to say I sucked at best.
I bought 25yard pistol targets at the local walmart and set them up at the 25yard backstop.

First the Glock I aligned the factory sights with the target but the front sight covered both the orange bulls eye and the black outer rings my shots were all over the target

Next the Sig the factory night sights allowed me to get a better view of the target but once again im all over the paper.

realizing it HAS to be me as the guns are virtually new I decided to expiriment with the different ways I have read here about how people shoot their pistols and to no avail out of 250rds wwb I managed to hit the bulls eye a whooping 2 times. now i practiced dry firing these when I first got them until I broke the flinching habit but the sights just cover everything the target shows I have read where shooters have gotten 3" groups but I cant get mine inside the rings.

could it be my targets are too small or the pistols aren't made to be needle threaders at those distances with factory sights??  im practicing so I can take the test for my ccw but there is no way
I will pass with results like these if they use the same distance/targets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
25 yds is a long ways with a handgun.  Especially if you are still new to shooting.

Move back to the 10 or even 7 and work your way out. That is what I did. I still can't hold an under 1" group, I doubt many who claim they can actually can anyway, but I can stay every shot center of mass and that's what matters.

Practice is all it takes or take a class if they offer it. I know how you feel though I recently started shooting at 200 plus yds with my Ar's and my target looks like a shotgun hit it instead of a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
In my painful experience, Glocks and Sigs don't mix well.

The triggers and grips are so radically different, it's VERY hard to get used to either one.  And shooting at 25yds, I would not recommend regular paper targets.  I can't even see where I hit.

I'd recommend Shoot-N-C target types with a 8" round black concentric circles that light up when a bullet hits at 25 yds.

A simple Coke can placed at 25yds will be a good measure (it is easier than it seems) to see how you can do.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a very frustrating day, my experience with rifles and shotguns spans across years as well as revolvers but semiauto pistols I just picked up in the last year or two and the sights differ so much from what im used to.

There was a discarded clay pidgeon laying near my target I managed to hit along with a shot up gallon milk jug but these Champion Score Keeper targets are the ghey and if anything like them is used when I go for my ccw I will FAIL miserably
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Eupfhoria/post157618correctionchart1on.gif
img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=righttarget9py4ch.jpg

see if this might help.....

btw: i second the suggestion to move in--7 yrds or so and work your way back
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Im also semi new to pistols. At the range a few days ago, shot about 2 mags into the target and pulled it in. Not a good grouping at all. Then I realized I was focusing on the target and not the front sight. New target, same distance, same rate of fire, only this time I was focusing on the front site. Instant improvement. Focusing on the front sight is something that doesnt feel natural to me and will take a lot of training to get it to become naturaul. Have you looked into any classes. Even if you cant do any big name schools, inquire at local ranges, see who offers 1-2 day classes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to hijack, but what exatly is "breaking your wrist" mean?  I haven't shot at paper targets yet, just cans.  I'm consistently hitting right under the can.  In the same spot.  I guess I'm getting a good grouping, because after a few shots, I've dug a big enough hole for the can to just fall over.  This is with a Glock 17 at about 20 yds.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/Eupfhoria/post157618correctionchart1on.gif
img456.imageshack.us/my.php?image=righttarget9py4ch.jpg

see if this might help.....

btw: i second the suggestion to move in--7 yrds or so and work your way back

Im going to give those targets a try it's raining like the cats ass right now
but they should help in identifying the "shotgun" pattern. thanks for the tip
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Possibly Good News For you.

I see Nothing on Packing.org OR the WV Law page regarding shooting Competency as a requirement.

www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/61/masterfrm2Frm.htm

www.packing.org/state/west_virginia/

Apparently all you have to do is TAKE an approved course - of the type the Law states.  

I would recommend an NRA sponsored course.

(FIND A COURSE)  www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

I would also recommend a LOT of Practice.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top