Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/21/2002 4:47:33 PM EDT
I'm wondering what, if any, mods I should purchase for my 3rd generation G22.

As far as optics go I was thinking either Trijicon NS or M3/M6, but recently on glockfaq.com I saw that Glock themselves are now making night sights and lights. Does anyone have experience with any of what is mentioned above?

Also I've heard on more than one occasion people recommending "3.5#"-somethingsomething...I'm not exactly sure what it was that they where saying but it was always positive. Anyone have any idea what it is I'm babbling about?

Thanks.

PS- I purchased my G22 for home protection as well as shooting at the range for fun. Would you say I picked a good gun/caliber?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:00:59 PM EDT
Welcome to the Board John.

The 3.5 Connecter is real nice if you don't like the stock 5 lb Connecter.
All my Glocks have 3.5 Connecters and Houge slip on grips.

I have Arthritis and the lighter trigger pull is really great.
Check out the Glock forum bellow we have lots of cool Links too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:53:25 PM EDT
As you may have noticed, I don't know a lot of gun terminology. :( The "connecter" affects how hard one must pull the trigger to fire?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:05:28 PM EDT
Definately get the 3.5# connector. Here is what it looks like

Also get the extended slide release, so you don't have to grab the slide to release it

You'll be very happy with these two improvements
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 3:56:21 AM EDT
"Shameless plug"

I've got some Factory Glock 3.5# connectors if anyone is interested. $12
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:27:58 AM EDT
Excellent pistol. My favorite caliber.
At this stage of the game, spend all your money on practice ammo, and shoot A LOT.

www.georgia-arms.com
the 165 gr shear power plus "+p" is good stuff, and their 165 gr fmj "makes major" shoots to the same point of impact for practice.

You will soon begin to see if you need anything. If the grip doesn't feel right after a few thousand rounds, try houghe slip on or Brooks Tactical "A Grip". The 3.5# is nice.

Here's where we get contraversial. Although I have night sights on most of my GLOCKS, an M3 is far more important for civillians. In a home defense situation you want to 100% ID the target. Night Sights help you hit when it is so dark you are having trouble seeing your sights. Whem the M3 is on, you can use your regular sights (or night sights) just fine, but you can also see what you are aiming at.

G22 15 rounders can be had for about $59, check kieslers online, CDNN, and maybe Ivanhoe's.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:13:04 AM EDT
The trigger pull (weight) of a Glock is controlled by the trigger its self, but by changing out the connector. Who has a link to a labeled exploded parts diagram of a Glock?

Art in KY
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:42:50 AM EDT
Everything you ever wanted to know
www.glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:02:15 AM EDT
I personally don't like lights mounted on handguns. If you carry an M3 then mount it to your handgun then you can't reholster until the light comes off. Yes, there are holsters that accept a mounted light but they are huge buckets. If the gun is going to sit in the nightstand then a mounted light might be ok. I just carry a Surefire 6Z in my fanny pack when the gun is in there, or in a combo mag/light pouch when the gun is riding in a holster.

The only mod I make to a Glock I carry are night sights and an extended mag release. Don't put the 3.5 connector on your carry gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:12:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Glock918:
The trigger pull (weight) of a Glock is controlled by the trigger its self, but by changing out the connector. Who has a link to a labeled exploded parts diagram of a Glock?

Art in KY

glockmeister.com/gdraw.shtml
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:15:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Don't put the 3.5 connector on your carry gun.

My Kimber SS Compact has a much lighter trigger
pull right out of the box. Should I not carry this gun?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:26:20 AM EDT
Just Night sights if you plan on carrying it.

Everything else is FRILL!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:18:27 AM EDT
" I purchased my G22 for home protection as well as shooting at the range for fun."

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:28:38 PM EDT

My Kimber SS Compact has a much lighter trigger pull right out of the box. Should I not carry this gun?

You're Kimber trigger is much lighter than 3.5 pounds stock? Did you weigh it with a trigger pull scale? I'm impressed! To get down around the 2 pound mark with 1911s requires lightweight parts and a trigger job that probably won't last 10,000 rounds before the hammer starts to follow.

I carry and own Glock handguns exclusively. It wasn't always that way. Back in my IPSC days it was 1911s exclusively. I would always get an uneasy fealing finding my Officer's model with the safety knocked down after being jiggled around in my fanny pack. It wasn't a series 80.

It's diifficult to impossible to transition between the 1911 and Glock, the trigger feel is just too different. With me it's one or the other, not both.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:59:48 PM EDT
If you train "finger off trigger until ready to shoot" then it does not matter how light the pull is. Even at 1 lb it won't go off by accident.

That's an answer for safety.

If you doccument that you train this way, you can prove you did not shoot negligently/recklessly because of a light trigger (other issues are other issues).

That's an answer for liability.

All that being said, bang through a bunch of ammo stock to see what YOU like or dislike about YOUR Glock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:36:25 AM EDT
My preference is for the 3 1/2 lb. connector combined with the NY trigger spring. This gives a very "revolver" like feel to the trigger action. Basically, the so-called 3 1/2 lb. Glock connector combines with the rest of the "fire control" group to produce an actual pull of around 4-5lb. if measured with a scale. The 3 1/2 lb. 1911 type trigger will weigh in at an actual 3 1/2 lb. pull, so yes, it both feels and is, in fact, lighter.

The Glock trigger action really is unique and cannot be adequately described in traditional terms. What feels like "take-up" in the first stage of the trigger pull is also bringing the striker to the rear (from its' slightly less than "half-cock" position) and raising the striker/firing pin block to clear the path to the breech face/primer. Although the standard coil trigger spring does not "assist" rearward movement of the trigger action, it certainly does not resist it either.

The NY "spring" (and the even heavier NY+ spring) is actually a "v" shaped polymer (souped-up plastic) insert that replaces the coil spring and provides resistance to the rearward movement of the trigger action through the entire arc of the pull. This makes the pistol...IMO...much more resistant to unintentional discharge during high stress handling. The actual movement...under direct rearward pressure from the trigger...required to fire the pistol from a position where the "slack" is taken up is only 1/10 in. The angle at which the engagement surface of the connector is cut determines the amount of resistance during this 1/10 in. movement...i.e. the "trigger pull" in traditional terms...what the NY trigger spring does is to add noticible resistance to the first part of the pull, as well as, unfortunately, to the final stage. The 3 1/2 lb. connector sort of offsets the addition of the NY spring, so that what you end up with is a long pull under reasonable resistance. Connectors are marked with a - for 3 1/2lb. + for 8lb. and no mark for 5lb. models.

Even so, a klutz can do something stupid with the NY trigger just as easily as without. The best thing about Glocks is that they are so easy to shoot. The worst thing about Glocks is that they are so...damned...easy to shoot!

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:12:30 AM EDT
I did two things for the wife's G22C. I bought the Advantage Arms kit for .22LR conversion. She gets to learn indoors this winter with a mild cartridge and develop good habis without the recoil. She wanted a laser so we know have the M6 laser/flashlight combo. It's a sweet setup. Been thinking about colored sights, next.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:22:29 AM EDT
I agree the Advantage Arms kits are a blast!
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/25/2002 10:11:40 AM EDT by glockberg]
I personally don't like the 3.5 pound connectors for a carry gun. Its not always the finger that accidentally hits the trigger. Reholstering, sometimes a shirt or clothing can get in the way. Under stress anything can happen if you believe Murphy's law. I do like NY triggers with the standard connector. I have seen the standard coil trigger bar springs break (not to often, but enough) and the NY springs don't. A good set of night sights is essential on any fighting handgun. Glock, factory night sights are usually Meprolight or Trijicons. I also like the Glock factory extended slide lock lever. I know the Glock trainers like you to drop the slide with two hands using major muscle groups. I'm lazy and the extended lever is faster. I do use an M3. Generally, I keep it on the long guns as they take two hands to be operated. I use a stinger, M3 or surefire for light with a handgun. One of the exceptions for mounting the gun is that officers that have to use the ballistic shield can't use two hands for the light and gun. Fobus does make a paddle holster that is inexpensive that will accomodate a Glock with an M3 mounted.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 10:39:27 AM EDT
Like Glockshooter said, at this stage of the game just buy some ammo and shoot the gun a lot. I'm a Glock Armorer and Instructor, and I see a lot of people put things on their guns that they turn right around and take off after they get some training. The 3.5# connector several have mentioned is a good example. It is a nice setup for range and game use, but if your emphasis is tactical shooting it is a poor option. Shoot the gun some, learn to use it, then you will be in a better position to decide how to modify it, if at all. Personally my only modifications are night sights and the NY-1 trigger for my carry Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:37:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By darm441:
Like Glockshooter said...

This is never a good sign. Seek counselling immediately
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 7:10:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By glockberg:
I also like the Glock factory extended slide lock lever. I know the Glock trainers like you to drop the slide with two hands using major muscle groups. I'm lazy and the extended lever is faster.

I use the two handed slide drop method myself, but put an extended lever on all my Glocks. Why? Sometimes you need to lock the slide back. It is MUCH easier for me to thumb up the extended lever than the smaller one. And if you are doing a clearance drill, you want it as easy as possible.

Top Top