Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 12:18:35 AM EDT
I no longer have a GP100 nor do I have a .44 to compare it to.   I'm wondering if the frame would be compatible with a 5 shot .44magnum conversion.   Yes I know it would be ungodly expensive but damn it would be a slick package.   A 4" 5 shot .44 stainless GP100.    I bet if Ruger could manufacture it they'd sell tons of em.  

Does any company make a medium frame 5 shot .44?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Taurus has a tracker in .44...was looking at one for the wifey, but I think I am gonna go titanium or her gun so the speed loaders would be the same for her gun and mine, a SRH.

.44 tracker

I might get this instead for the wife...I guess a 2" version is supposed to be made as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/handguns/images/2.jpg

how 'bout a special?  I think the frame is too short to get a mag length cyl. in it.  Well, maybe not (same case length) but you would be stuck with really lightweight bullets.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

how 'bout a special?  I think the frame is too short to get a mag length cyl. in it.  Well, maybe not (same case length) but you would be stuck with really lightweight bullets.

Thanks for the link.   It's too bad that's not available as a factory gun.   It says POR so I'm sure it's expensive...  

I am however a glutton for punishment and will of course request the price.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a bunch of S&W 629's out there with a semi-custom 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 barrel. Mine is a Lew Horton.
They were never a straight factory gun but a wholesaler could order the up a batch at a time. They are full lug six shot heavy weight guns so not really what you are looking for but you wouldn't want to shoot full 44mag loads out of anything much lighter.
The S&W custom shop made up a 5 shot 44spec gun on a 686  size frame. Don't know if they are still a current model. I used to see these guns selling for about $900 new in the fancy metel briefcase. This is pretty steep but when you start paying a gunsmith to make new Cylinders and swaping out barrels you would be near to this price and the factory S&W would be a beter resale bet if you went to sell it. Factory 44 special ammo is real weak but I would think you could handload it up a fair ammount without makeing a hand grenade. This is a lightweight gun,you wouldn't want to hold on to it with a real hot load anyhow.Seems like you could take the 750fps 44spec 240 gr and step it up to 900 or 1000fps and have a heavy hitter. This gun wuld fit in most holsters made for the 686 and all the custom grips and such for the 686 would pop right on. Comeing from the S&W custom shop it would have a wonderfull trigger pull out of the box
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#5]
you could always get the alaskan
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/STrgrRHttl.jpg

the way to go...if not..s/w 29-629..........
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kinda there already...

It works out better, for about the same cost, to get a full size SRH and have it cut down by a competent 'smith.  The Alaskan comes with the worst front sight, think USGI 1911.  Having one cut down lets you put a nice. fat, day-glo orange millet front sight on it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda there already...

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/yekimak/DSCN2874.jpg

It works out better, for about the same cost, to get a full size SRH and have it cut down by a competent 'smith.  The Alaskan comes with the worst front sight, think USGI 1911.  Having one cut down lets you put a nice. fat, day-glo orange millet front sight on it.

so how bad is the sting from that puppy?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
....the "sting"..is serious.........you do not worry about "sights" on this gun....it is a point and shoot close up survival piece of hand cannon......it has it`s place...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda there already...

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/yekimak/DSCN2874.jpg

so how bad is the sting from that puppy?

If you have any bad techniques inherent in your shooting, you will quickly discover them.  Everything little foible is exaggerated.  

Basically I am saying you gotta learn how to shoot all over again, and when you start feeling less pain, you are on the right track.  

Mine is a .44 mag.  240 gr ammo is stout, but after some practice it ain't too bad.  I can wasily run 200 rounds in a session now with no ill side effects.  First time I took it out I only shot 50 rounds and my wrist hurt a little the next day.

For carry I have 320gr hard cast lead ammo loaded pretty hot.

There a few guys carrying "Alaskanized" .454's for ccw up here.  The shop in Kenai must have done 20 of them last year.  HE did one and it was in the display case, and a bunch of other guys, including me all had theirs snubbed.  No one really complains about the recoil.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

wow thats a nice gun .5 shot med frame 44 mag.i like the concept.before seeing the tracker i thougt maby 41 mag 5 shot for the gp-100.that would be cool.either one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top