Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 4:34:21 PM EDT
I'm wanting to trade in my Springfield Armory G.I. Mil-Spec .45 1911A1 pistol for a Springfield Armory XD 5in tactical model in .40 cal...

My 1911 runs perfect, no dings in it (other than 2 or 3 minor scratches in it). I still have the original hardcase for it, the original documents that it came with, 3 magazines, holster, and it has less than 100 rounds through it...

I've seen the exact same 1911 that I have, selling for around $449, and some a little higher. On Springfield Armory's website, their XD's are $566, and I was wondering if I could probably trade my pistol, plus pay an additional $200...

What do you guys think?

-Covert

(Sorry if this all sounds ridiculous, but I'm not too familiar with the pistol community when it comes to trading and value)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd keep the SA 1911A1 if its not giving you any problems....

dont compare to SA's MSRP--check out auction and retail sites for more competative prices

XD .40sw Tacs are running ~$500 NIB

also, if you do trade, putting down $200 AND the 1911 is TOO much....you might as well put that $200 toward a "savings" to buy a XD .40sw Tac later down the road and keep the 1911
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

dont compare to SA's MSRP--check out auction and retail sites for more competative prices

also, if you do trade, putting down $200 AND the 1911 is TOO much....you might as well put that $200 toward a "savings" to buy a XD .40sw Tac later down the road and keep the 1911

Well I'd really like something more "updated" and something that'd be good with different kinds of ammunition.

The 1911A1 I have is the WWII style, and the best ammo for it is the old punk-n-ball ammo, it doesn't really shoot hollow point of hydrashocks very well. If I get in a SHTF situation, I don't want to use punk-n-ball if it's a people congested area...

But, all in all, the XD would work much better for me in many areas, not just in SHTF scenarios.

But you think I'd have better luck with retail sites and such? What's a good retail site that'd sell XD's?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get the loader,2mags,holster,mag carrier and the box then its a good deal, because you recieve all of that with the $500 dollar price in a new one. Im not one of those guys who think 1911 is the best ever made but if you use wilson mags, speer gold dots JHP or corbon powerballs youll have no problems with feeding hollow points. I have one of the so called cheap brands and I can get Hydras Golds and all corbons to work in my RIA 100% of the time after a little tinkering in the beginning.

And with no extras your SA GI is worth $495 NIB according to the 2006 blue book, If you paid more then it was dealer mark up, used is from $250 - $350 depending on condition. But the XD is in the same price range so their listings are similiar so adding the $200 is a little steep. If everything I listed above is with it I would go with the gun and no more then $50 or some ammo.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of curiosity, have you tried shooting JHP through the Springfield?  I had the same gun and it would feed anything.  If it had been my only pistol I would have been completely comfortable carrying it.

As for trades, $200 is definitely too much.  If you're working with a dealer, they'd probably take $75 or $100 plus the 1911 if you really have to have the XD.  If you can wait and buy the XD out right I think you'll be farther ahead.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I'd really like something more "updated" and something that'd be good with different kinds of ammunition.

The 1911A1 I have is the WWII style, and the best ammo for it is the old punk-n-ball ammo, it doesn't really shoot hollow point of hydrashocks very well. If I get in a SHTF situation, I don't want to use punk-n-ball if it's a people congested area...

But, all in all, the XD would work much better for me in many areas, not just in SHTF scenarios.

But you think I'd have better luck with retail sites and such? What's a good retail site that'd sell XD's?

have you tried different mags or ammo?  for example: my SA champion wont run Speer GDs 100% w/ CMC mags, but when i use WC mags and Win Ranger T ammo, it runs all day....the Win nose is noticbly more rounded and less blunt

Jensen Arms in the EE might have some XDs in stock; the gun source and onpointfirearms might also have em (no personal dealings w/ either of these 2)
how about your local gun shops?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

2-3 years down the road, you'll be kicking yourself for letting the 1911 go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Decide what you want and do a private a trade, your SA 1911 will have more value than the XD the minute it is fired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top