Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:42:20 PM EDT

What barrel length still produces good velocity in a .44 magnum?

I have been looking at the 3” 629 S&W revolvers and question how good the performance is and what the recoil is like.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:15:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zip:
What barrel length still produces good velocity in a .44 magnum?

I have been looking at the 3” 629 S&W revolvers and question how good the performance is and what the recoil is like.

What are you going to be shooting? I'd say at least 5 inches to get most out of the .44 and even longer the better.
I have a a 629 with the shortest barrel(2 1/2 or 3 inches) and it still knocks down steel targets the my 6 inch 44 mag does. I feel the shorter barrels hit hard enough for most things anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:26 AM EDT
..........velocity/performance are not going to vary between barrel lengths all that much.....there will be a more noticable varience because of bullet weight and propellent load...this was a question adressed by silouett shooters many years ago...who found either length (4"vs 6"/7") produced negligable differences in accuracy....recoil....that`s a different story...but that can be controlled (and not necessarily by.."porting")...most important is what you`re using it for....and the ammo configuration to best get the job done............
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:33:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zip:

The felt recoil and mizzle flip of a 3" 629 will be a handful IMHO.

I believe the 6 1/2" gives the best all around performance. By that I mean, less felt recoil, better sight radius and less muzzle flip that the 3" model. I also own an 8 3/8" 629 but find the barrel just a little heavy and not conducive to carry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:56:12 AM EDT
I have a 4" S&W Model 29 and a 6" Model 29. Felt recoil with full power Magnum loads is noticably greater with the 4" revolver particularly with bullets of 240 grains and up. For all around use I would recommend 6 or 6.5" barrel. If you plan on carrying it more than shooting it - the 4" takes the prize.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:46:27 PM EDT
A longer barrel gives you a bit more velocity, more weight and a longer sight radius, a shorter barrel gives you a more compact and lighter gun with a bit more recoil.
Pay you money and take your chances.....
BTW, mine is a 7.5" barrel, I use it for hunting and target shooting, it is very accurate but it would be a stone cold bitch to carry concealed whereas I think I might be able to pack a 5" .44 mag.
Top Top