Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 6:10:17 PM EDT
I think this year I'll probably add another pistol to the stable.  And I want your guys suggestion on what I should get.  I currently own a Wilson CQB 1911, Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, Glock 19, and Kahr PM9.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

S&W .44 Magnum Revolver with probably a 6" barrel
+ for when I go camping to kill bears
- probably not good for much else

USP or USP Compact in .45
+ I really want a German pistol and want an HK
+ already invested in .45, so it wouldn't be that much of a change
- mags are kind of expensive

Belgian Hi-Power
+ there's just something cool about them
+ I used to live in Belgium, so it's kind of like home-town pride
+ single action
- nothing here that a Glock doesn't do better and with less weight

Glock 20C
+ camping -- for bear protection
+/- It's a Glock
- Ammo is very expensive

Glock 26
+ Mags and ammo interchangeable with my G19
- Do I need one if I have a G19?  Does it really add that much more conceability
- I own a PM9, so maybe this is redundant

Glock 30
+ Compact .45
- Probably doesn't do anything that my other .45 don't do already

Sig Navy (9mm) or a Sig in .40/357
+ German pistol
- Double action
- I think I might rather own an HK
- I'm not sure I want to get invested in another caliber

Beretta M9-A1
+ It looks super cool (I love Lethal Weapon!)
+ The military uses it
- Traditional Double action
- I doubt that it does anything that my G19 doesn't (other than look cool)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
G20 (not the C)
or
Sig or HK Tac

it looks like you are covered for CCW guns (g19 and Khar)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
G20 (not the C)
or
Sig or HK Tac

it looks like you are covered for CCW guns (g19 and Khar)

All my guns are carry guns .  I don't own many firearms, but the ones I own are absolute keepers.  I go for quality over quantity and every gun I get is carefully screened to see if it actually fits a purpose or does something better or fills a niche that my other guns don't.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have a revolver, you need one.  

Go with the 44.  Yes it's good for bears, but is also a lot of fun at the range.  The Remington UMC 180 grain bullets from Wal Mark have a HUGE blast, but are fairly mild on the recoil.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
G20 (not the C)

+1
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Well , you have two Great .45s and two Great 9mms .

I would go for the Bear Gun

I like these-

You can always shoot .44 mag. target loads for fun

If you got a Wad o Cash - check out the Performance Center models
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the S&W 629, 4-6 inch barrel (4" kicks more but is more "carriable")

If you do some flyfishin' or trekking outdoors, you may need one of these.  I'm looking forward to this fall on trying my S&W .44 on the Great Outdoors  

Quoted:
Well , you have two Great .45s and two Great 9mms .

I would go for the Bear Gun

I like these- www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson//upload/images/firearms/163653_large.jpg

You can always shoot .44 mag. target loads for fun

If you got a Wad o Cash - check out the Performance Center models

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
have you thought about the ruger redhawk and super redhawk for the .44mag role?

also if you are looking at da/sa pistols that can be carried condition 1 check out the cz75 series.  i think they are much more comfortable than the hi-power.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote HK, and I shall explain why.

You're a 1911 guy- controls are similar, thus its an easy firearm to learn very quickly.  Mags aren't that expensive if you know where to look.  PM me for details on that.  45 rocks.  You have CCW covered, so, sick with the USP .45F.  Better yet, save up the extra coin and get a Tactical, the trigger is worth it alone.  You already have a Glock, so you might as well try something different.  In my opinion, HK takes the best features of the 1911, and the best features of the Glock, and combines them into a damn fine pistol.  Seems like it would be a good blend to fill the void you have between new school and old school.

Scott
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had to choose from your list it would be the Belgian Hi-Power.

I'm not a fan of any Glock smaller than the G19. I also only buy 9mm Glocks. The HK trigger sucks when compared to the Glock or 1911. I also stay clear of Beretta's. The Sig Navy or Blackwater does sound interesting, except  it would take me a long time to get used to that trigger. I'm not interested in jumping back and forth between DA and SA, so that leaves them out even though I think they are a nice pistol.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to kill bears get the 460 simth and wesson or the ruger 454.

44 mag has become the 38 special of magums.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#11]
My vote, the 629 (Classic 6 1/2" .44 Magnum).

When you're not killing bears it's great for putting a smile on your face at the range.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool .  Some very good opinions here -- thanks for putting so much though into it!  Judging by the posts, you can tell why I'm having such a hard time .  You guys are all over the map, just like me!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I vote HK, and I shall explain why.

You're a 1911 guy- controls are similar, thus its an easy firearm to learn very quickly.  Mags aren't that expensive if you know where to look.  PM me for details on that.  45 rocks.  You have CCW covered, so, sick with the USP .45F.  Better yet, save up the extra coin and get a Tactical, the trigger is worth it alone.  You already have a Glock, so you might as well try something different.  In my opinion, HK takes the best features of the 1911, and the best features of the Glock, and combines them into a damn fine pistol.  Seems like it would be a good blend to fill the void you have between new school and old school.

Scott

A big +1.  I have always thought of the USP as the best HI Cap 1911.  I have an Ed Brown and a USP and love both.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I had to choose from your list it would be the Belgian Hi-Power.

I'm not a fan of any Glock smaller than the G19. I also only buy 9mm Glocks. The HK trigger sucks when compared to the Glock or 1911. I also stay clear of Beretta's. The Sig Navy or Blackwater does sound interesting, except  it would take me a long time to get used to that trigger. I'm not interested in jumping back and forth between DA and SA, so that leaves them out even though I think they are a nice pistol.

I have a G21 and the trigger on my USP is WAY better than the Glock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
HK or Beretta. Pick which one fits your hand better and your set.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A big +1.  I have always thought of the USP as the best HI Cap 1911.  I have an Ed Brown and a USP and love both.

You think the USP is a Hi-Cap 1911?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I want more than 9rds and would like to keep the controls the same.  I like to carry cocked and locked.  That I can only do with the USP and the 1911.  I did not mean they were made the same.  But I practice alot with the 1911 and when I switch to the USP all is the same but the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I want more than 9rds and would like to keep the controls the same.  I like to carry cocked and locked.  That I can only do with the USP and the 1911.  I did not mean they were made the same.  But I practice alot with the 1911 and when I switch to the USP all is the same but the trigger.

Gotcha.  I'll have to rent an HK next time I hit the range.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:53:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Or...

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Best High cap 1911's you can buy are built on Chip Mc frames. STI, SV, Dawson, and a inf number of smaller shops. Controls and function is 100% 1911. Only major difference is it has a wide body. You can also buy a single stack conversion for the frame and have a normal width 1911 with normal capaticty.

Your next best bet would be a para then the Springfield high caps.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cz97 but i think it is only 10+1.  the controls are the same as the 1911 and usp.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#22]
USP or a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 (hurts so good to shoot..) and can always shoot 45 colts.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm not a huge fan of HK's business practices here, and would not buy their products on principle (and the growing lack of support - they aren't exactly booming here in the states).  I'm not usually one to be like this, but they rub me the wrong way.

Highly recommend the FN/Browning Hi-Power.  It's just about the best 9mm you can buy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Get somebody to build you an STI in 10mm or even .45.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm not a huge fan of HK's business practices here, and would not buy their products on principle (and the growing lack of support - they aren't exactly booming here in the states).  I'm not usually one to be like this, but they rub me the wrong way.

Highly recommend the FN/Browning Hi-Power.  It's just about the best 9mm you can buy.

I'm not aware of their business practices.  Can you enlighten me?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not aware of their business practices.  Can you enlighten me?

I would recommed the HK USP Compact. It is a great gun, and is great as a carry weapon.

What Tweakmeister is talking about is HK role as only going after Military and LEO contracts vs. selling guns like the G36, XM8 (some one would buy it) UMP, MP5 and HK91,93,94 to the U.S.

HK is bared from exporting semi auto G36, UMP, 416 and 417 to the U.S. thanks to the 89 AWB import ban. This is not HK's fault, but some want HK to build a plant here to sell these weapons to the US like FN and now SIG.
But this takes a lot of money and there is a lot of politics at play. It could be a bad business move to have HK build a US plant spend millions on the building and tooling only to find the US has elected a anti gun President in 2008. (lets make sure that NEVER happens)

Also HK is a compnay that was built on Military and LEO contracts, not selling guns to the U.S. public. So HK is sticking to their roots selling the USP and P2000 and letting FN and SIG take in better profits.

HK also rubbed people the wrong way when a few m416 AR uppers were sold to the public by NFA dealers would brought the guns in, and kept the lowers and sold off the uppers for $2,300 to $2,500. At a HUGE mark up.

HK Defense.....Not the HK Inc. that sells the USP wanted the 416 uppers back and claimed the uppers were stolen property. Somepoeple sold the uppers back to HK Defense and others did not.

HK is a company and it wants to stay in business. They are going after big Govt. accounts like the 60,000 USPs for Homeland Defense contract SIG also got some of this contract.
They tried to get the XM8, and failed but they did get Military to buy the new grenade launcher. They are trying to get the new US Army handgun contract and they are trying to sell SMGs around the world.

It is too bad that HK is not more US sales friendly but if you look at their corporate US history they have been very friendly to US gun sales and have been kicked around by the politicians for the past 17years and they are no longer going to stick their neck out and loose millions.

And I don't blame them a bit. Even though I would love to own a G36, and 417.

They build fine guns, I have 12 HKs four are handguns and they are wonderful weapons.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Ya what he said..

UZI4you,

That was a great write up... A+++  

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Since all your guns are carry guns I would get something that has no role in CCW. You have some great hardware IMO for that as is and seeing your little pile you should be a terror with the 1911 platform (I say don't take away from that proficiency yours). Get a "toy" that would have a use in something completely outside the CCW element. The .44 magnum for example as a trail gun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank you all for your input.  All of you have made some great points and have given me more food for though.  At this point it feels like no matter what I choose I'm going be happy and disappointed at the same time.  

My order of preferene at this point in time is:
USP Compact in .45
Glock 26
Belgian Hi-Power
.44 Mag
Glock 30
Glock 20
Beretta M9-A1

The Sig kind of dropped off the list.  I wasn't all that partial to it to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cz97 but i think it is only 10+1.  the controls are the same as the 1911 and usp.

Para 14.45
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#31]
EAA Witness .45
10+1, cocked & locked, and under $400 at your local neighborhood death merchant.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I like the Para p14 for hi cap .45.  I may be the only one tho.  Of your list I would pick the .44.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Beretta M9-A1
Sig (9mm)
Belgian Hi-Power
Glock 20, then 30, then 26

That's the order I'd buy that list in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#34]
CZ97B
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beretta M9-A1
Sig (9mm)
Belgian Hi-Power
Glock 20, then 30, then 26

That's the order I'd buy that list in.

ooh, an M9 supporter!  Fantastic!  That's a gun that I want to like, but nobody else seems to.  Can I ask why?  What other guns do you like (so I can get an idea of whether I'm a M9 person).  It's a very cool looking gun, but it is awfully big for a 9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top