Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Things I 'hate' at the range:

1) The "what do you need them things for? You can't shoot trap or hunt with 'em" type?

2) The slow-fire only crowd.

3) The "why are you settin' your targets so close? I shoot MY pistol (usually, 1 handed, slowly, inaccurately)at 25 yards!" Type.

4) The "why are you shootin' those targets for? They look like a <shudder> MAN!"

5) Bumpers. (Sadly, some of them are even my friends )

6) Running out of ammo before I want to quit for the day.

1-4, often sheeple with guns with little/no concept of using a gun for self-defense.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate the 1 shot every 2 minute snobs who make snide comments about my AR's and AK clones.  I usually don't try to make a nuisance of myself at the range and try to be respectfull of the other people shooting there.  But, sometimes when the jerks get under my skin and I will treat them to a XM193 mag dump or two just to make a point.  

Last year I pulled a stunt that shut a guy up good.  I was shooting some mild reloads in my 16 inch AR at an indoor range.  He gave me a dirty look everytime I squeezed off a round.  I had been there a while and had already shot a target with my scoped SPR that had a nice 1.5 inch ragged hole 30 round group.  I had pulled the target and had it under my range bag beneath the bench.  After several dirty looks, he finally came over and looked at my rifle and made several comments about how loud, inaccurate and useless that type of "military" rifle was.  He told me I should be using a bolt gun to learn to shoot accurately instead of wasting ammunition and making so damned much noise.  

On the next target change I re-hung the SPR target from earlier and ran it downrange.  I pulled out my Bushmaster 14.5 inch M4gery with the evil mini-y brake and switched from my mild reloads to XM-193 and ripped off a proper mag dump to the side of the target.  I ran the target back  and leaned over and tapped him on the shoulder and said "is that better"?  The look on his face was priceless when he saw the ragged hole group in the target.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
lol dilbert that's a good one!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
What do I hate... well?

• I hate 1 round/second; I like to train double-taps.
• Dirty looks from the guys that have $2600 handguns but shoot at the 7 yard line!!!
• Bolt action rifle snobs that think their AI and Custom Remington is better than my savage or FN.
• Indoor ranges won’t let you shoot pistols on the rifle-range, yet only have 15 yards or so for handgun… what’s that all about?

My Glocks and my Clark customs are good for conversation when I hit the silhouettes at 100 yards. I used to think it was impossible, and then I started practicing. I’ve even hit man-sized silhouettes at 200 yards with a 5” 1911. (Albeit it serves absolutely no point to shoot a hand-gun at that distance, I do it just to practice trigger control.)

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
"• Indoor ranges won’t let you shoot pistols on the rifle-range, yet only have 15 yards or so for handgun… what’s that all about? "

They never learned to hit anything with a handgun further than they could actually throw the gun.

I used to take great pleasure in using my S&W 41 at a 25 yard indoor range.  You really cannot see the holes until you pull the target back.
If a group was being a real PITA I would run about 50 shots on the target, then pull it back to about 5 yards so the group showed (if you turned on the 10 yard target lights it really showed nicely) and leave it hanging while loading magazines and such.
The best stuff was when someone’s girlfriend would ask them embarrassing questions.
Often they packed and left in short order.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate Nazis at the range who bitch about what other people are doing. I don't care how fast people shoot, what mags they use, how they hold the weapon, or anything else as long as they are being safe.

+1

+2

+3

I shoot at an indoor range, unfortunatly I don't have access to an outdoor one.
The range I go to doesn't rent guns, which drastically lowers the squirrel factor.
There are yo-yos that shoot there, but for the most part they are few and far between.
I've had a couple bitch that the M1 Garand  was to loud.
Last time I shot my AR, this guy and his son with his 1911 &  Sigs shooting next to me.
When I started shooting, he put his pistol down and muttered "God Damn Rifles" to my buddy.
His answer: "Why'd you come to a shooting range if you're gonna bitch about  noise?"

Yup.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't hate, but I do not like being put next to someone with a 50 cal pistol. It's not thier fault they have a gun that sound like a cannon.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Easy question, range Nazis!

Self proclaimed experts that think they know everything cause they shot some paper a few times that have dedicated their lives to making everyone elses range experience miserable.  

+100000
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Self proclaimed experts that think they know everything cause they shot some paper a few times that have dedicated their lives to making everyone elses range experience miserable.  

We have a few of "those guys" where I'm at. Two guys with bolt guns were making comments on our ARs, so we made a little bet. Three metal targets at 75 yards. We had Iron sights and Aimpoints, they had scopes. The metal targets were 3 inches in dia. 5 shots each. We beat them by three shots.

They left after that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I usually go to my rod and gun club range on rainy weekdays. I'm disappointed if I don't have it to myself.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a Wisconsin problem- everybody has to have an anti-tank rifle/pistol .   I get sick of it sounding like handgrenades going off next to my head.  

Wisconsin ranges suck though so I am kindof just working on projects and looking for a farm to shoot at.  

I pay $10 and hour indoor, and $10 an hour outdoor, there aren't any really enjoyable options.  Wisconsin is not firearms friendly.  

Forgot to mention these ranges:

Don't allow drawing from a holster
Don't allow more than one round per second
Don't allow shooting reactive steel targets even with .22lr
Don't allow shooting cans (any caliber)
In general you can get bitched at six ways from Sunday and I get really tired of that when I'm trying to enjoy myself.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1
I take a lot of first timers shooting.
They are mostly girls from my classes.
It is very hard to try and teach someone how to shoot when you have a range nazi breathing down your neck and saying things like "thats too much gun for a little girl like that"
Thanks asshole - way to scare them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate the people who sit there and fire one.....shot.....at...a...time.....

I have my CCW so I am constantly practicing pulling my weapon from my holster and firing double taps. I also practice tactical/speed reloads and FTF/FTE drills.

Pardon my language, but HOW THE F*ck does anyone expect to improve their skills by shooting ONE SHOT PER MINUTE!!!!

I might be one of those guys with a 33rd. mag, I dont shoot it gangsta style but do rapid fire shooting. I am not sure if you are the type of guy that thinks he is a markman with his pistol but that is how you come off

Oh yeah, most of my targets are no farther than 12-15 feet away. Why? Hard evidence shows that most incidents happen at extreme close range.

The most important thing is to STOP the threat...this might mean throwing 10-20 rounds down range rapid fire but with considerable accuracy.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Build it... and they will come....

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I particularly hate the smucks who come up to you as soon as you get to the range and ask you a billion questions about what you are shooting and how you are shooting like it was any of their damn business.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate Nazis at the range who bitch about what other people are doing. I don't care how fast people shoot, what mags they use, how they hold the weapon, or anything else as long as they are being safe.

+1

+5
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I train with the C.A.R. system, which involves presenting the weapon at a slight angle rather than straight up and down. I get a lot of comments about "gangsta-style".

....until they see my target

Fortunately, I don't run into many idiots at ranges. The only weekend warrior I ran into was going on how he was great because he actually got to stand on the firing line at Quantico. He was quickly shut down by my buddy, who actually trained at Quantico. He was real quiet after that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot inside mostly.. Last time in the stall against the wall.. Next to me is a guy with bolt action something..I did a 30 rd dump with my M16.. He leans back looks at me like hes REALLY pissed.. Gives me a big smile and starts laughing.. Hunters arent all that bad... At least this guy wasnt...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
The only thing that bothers me is when people are unsafe. If you wnat to blow 1000rds in 30min or 30rds in 30min I could care less. However when people just waltz down range when everyone else is still shooting or if they try shooting while someone else is down range that burns me up. Shoot your AK, AR, Lorcin .380, Raven .25, custom 1911, Glock, CZ I could careless. You can even hold your pistol sidways.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Short of other people poking holes in my targets, there isn't much that bothers me at the range.
... I'm usually the jerk that rents the range .50AE or 454 casull.  I haven't found a better way to burn off stress.

Bullet Trap in Plano, TX is a good place that keeps pretty clean and orderly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I rountinely train at real world engagement distances. I train at 7 yeards or closer. My intention is to rapidly dump the mag into the target while keeping a group about the size of a frisbee. I have been told it sounds like a SMG when I shoot.

Why do I do this? Simple. In the real world, threats will most likely not be stopped with a single round, and threats will be in close.

I train like I fight. That means rapid fire up close. Maybe you need to train differently.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Not much bothers me at the range except people who set their targets 600 yards out.  Nothing against that in theory, but when I get off twenty shots and then have to wait for 5-10 minutes every time he wants to put up a fresh target, it gets annoying.

Other than that, I'm usually the one doing the annoying, haha.  Nothing too unsafe, mind you, but me and my friends have been known to destroy many a household appliance.  We've taught many disobedient CD players a lesson or two.

And filmed it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As long as they're safe I really don't care what other people do at the range.

A pity that attitude doesn't translate to your behavior at this site.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I pretty much hate seeing people at the range. I usually just go shoot on my dad's farm.

At my house

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#27]
When I go to the indoor range, I bring my DE .50 to annoy people if they give me crap about my carbine. I usually don't take it out unless I have a one shot per minute evil eye pansy next to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that I'm done venting, what do you guys hate seeing at the range?

I hate to see people at the range.

That's why I built my own range at home.

If anyone else is on my range, they are trespassing.

You can legally use them as reactive targets if they're trespassing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate when I'm at the range and the guy/guys next to me have the obvious smell of alcohol or other substances on their person.  I tend to call it a night at that point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I hate when I'm at the range and the guy/guys next to me have the obvious smell of alcohol or other substances on their person.  I tend to call it a night at that point.

I couldn't agree more. I've only seen one person I thought was drunk, but it's fairly common for guys to come in smelling and looking like they just smoked a pound of grass.

This summer I'm going to track down some one with private property.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I belong to a good range. I don't have any "hates".

I'd like to shoot after work (dark), but the only indoor is a .22LR range.

Hell, last Saturday, I was shooting my ARs at 200/300 yards, then my .22LR at 50 yards. I saw not a single person (including the R.O.). As it was the weekend everyone was at the 50-100 yard rifle range instead.

Learn to shoot longer than 100 yards = you get to use an empty range.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I was just wondering if you guys have the mag cap restrictions. A couple of ranges near me only allow something like 5 or 10 rounds to be in the gun at any time and still others only allow 1 round in the gun at all times.hock.gif I ‘am not the person to do mag dumps(to expensive) but I do like to fill my 30rounders full and shoot for a while Its very annoying to be reloading when I could be shooting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I hate people that go on-line professing to know everything and own 1 of everything then when they show up to say group shoot at a range they have an SKS and a jennings .22...........That's what I hate
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#34]
tag

for mini vent
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#35]
See my post regarding my last indoor gun range experience in the Nevada hometown forums.  I feel your pain

I would try to do the linky thing put my computer fu is weak!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
As I was loading my first mag, I heard what sounded like somebody shooting a automatic pistol caliber carbine. Nope, it was some idiot next to me shooting his Glock 17 with a 33 round clip "gangsta" style. He was unloading that thing like he had a hoard of zombies in front of him and the target was, no shit, FIVE FEET IN FRONT OF HIM! The range master was shaking his head. He told me the kid was a member and never broke any rules besides being an unconsiderate ass.

How is this "unconsiderate"?  You were annoyed by gunfire at a range?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#37]
tag to read when slow at work
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I hate the people that assume their gun is the best. I really hated the kid trying to tell me his P22 that wouldn't cycle was "way better because it was built in germany." I was shooting a USP. 'nuff said.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When I go to the indoor range, I bring my DE .50 to annoy people if they give me crap about my carbine. I usually don't take it out unless I have a one shot per minute evil eye pansy next to me.

Works like a charm, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Ranges and boat ramps seem to really bring the idiot out in people.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:06:35 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I pretty much hate seeing people at the range.  I usually just go shoot on my dad's farm.

+1
Happiness is having the range all to yourself!! Then you can shoot at your own pace, hang targets when you want, shoot at 100 yard targets with your 1911 upside down, and scrounge through the brass on the ground all without having people look at you funny!

I know it shouldn't be this way, but trying to shoot with other people at the range always seems like it disturbs me and them. I think most people prefer shooting without an audience, they are alot mroe comfortable that way. To your point though, some people are easier to shoot with than others.
It is neat to see what other people bring to the range though.

+1

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Two funnyu things this week.  I don't rag on em cause heck, that's how I should've started but guys, probably around 18.  Coming in with a full size AR15 20 inch A2 or (I kid you not) AR10A2 20 incher, popping the target at 20 feet. (I kid you not) and shooting about 400 rounds and leaving.  they usually have only one mag that they keep reloading and use the range ammo too.  At first I was thinking NEWBIES!  then I usually saunder over and let them shoot a carbine of mine and ask them about their rifle, etc......  

But there' snothing funnier, than a young kid, with a 26 inch varmint model, varmint palm shelf grip and all, standing up and shooting at a target 20 feet away.  

Even at teh NRA I've seen the groups of 10 guys with one WASR and one glock.  I try and be nice, but the glock fo-tay crowd unloading 30 rounds at ten feet with four holes in the CARDBOARD - forget the target - is funny!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The thing I hate to see at the range is unsafe gun handling.  In the past six months, I've had 2 loaded guns pointed at me with fingers on the trigger.  Really pisses me off.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#45]
I hate that my local range only has 2 rifle lanes and 10 pistol lanes, but they make me shoot my 500 on the rifle range!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#46]

I was so pissed after going to the range last night. I took my new SIG to try and get more used to it and I had to deal with idiots all night. I went to my local indoor range. They're a great group of guys that own it and the facility is in great shape. I went in, purchased my ammo, and headed for my lane. As I was loading my first mag, I heard what sounded like somebody shooting a automatic pistol caliber carbine. Nope, it was some idiot next to me shooting his Glock 17 with a 33 round clip "gangsta" style. He was unloading that thing like he had a hoard of zombies in front of him and the target was, no shit, FIVE FEET IN FRONT OF HIM! The range master was shaking his head. He told me the kid was a member and never broke any rules besides being an unconsiderate ass. Thankfully the moron burned through his 200 rounds in fifteen minutes and left. Then some guy who thought he was "hard" came in, rented a .44 magnum revolver and then proceeded to try and impress his girlfriend by missing the target completely at 10 FEET!  Other than that, the night was fine.

I hate stuck-up pricks who think everybody else is unsafe..........
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Ya'll sure have it bad!! At my range the only rule is don't shoot the steel with FMJ. My  11 and 14 year old boys drawn their handguns from their holsters after their have empty their 30 round mags on their rifles. They shoot on the move. They shoot the shoot house. They were trained from 6 years old how to load,shoot and clean my guns.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#48]
My range is in my backyard. YES, it is nice not to have stupid rules or unsafe people to deal with. Oh, and the range fees are cheap!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
How about the guy who blew a hole in the ceiling because he was shooting a paper target 2 feet in front of him while kneeling?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

People that frown upon how fast I shoot my pistols, rifles and shotguns.  They shoot their way, I shoot mine.  

Oh, my pet peeve is definitely people who waive their guns around or point in unsafe directions (like at me.)

Other than that, Live and Let Shoot.  Shooting is a way to release stress...let the dude unload!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top