Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 3:39:40 PM EDT
Basically, the front sight on the ol' Glock 20 fell off.  I can't remember when exactly, but it's been missing its sight for about a week now.

Here's a picture.  The hole where the sight used to be looks just fine, as if it would just fit right back in if I could find it.

So, I've got a couple questions.

My first option is to just see if I can send it back to Glock to have it fixed.  Anyone know how much this could cost me?  Anyone with Glock customer experience?  I'm in Alaska, if that'll cause any complications.

The second thing I can do, which I kind of want to anyway, is install some night sights.  I'm thinking the kind with gas in 'em that glow for 15 years.  What are some good brand names I can look at, and how much should I expect to pay?

Third, of course, is related to the second:  How much would it cost to have them installed?  Is it feasible to do it myself?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Trijicon night sights. Excellent quality and long service life. If you follow the directions included with the Trijicons' you should not have a problem installing them your self.                 Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go with the Trijicon night sights. Excellent quality and long service life. If you follow the directions included with the Trijicons' you should not have a problem installing them your self.                 Charles the Gunsmith.  

+1 I have some on a few of my guns.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out meprolights, good as trijicons and a little cheaper.  Get the screw in front sight and you won't have to worry about losing it again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, you'll need a very small 1/4 drive socket driver for the nut that screws on the bottom of the Trijicon fron sight post. Use loctite on it, but don't over torque it. I put modeling clay into the socket driver and pushed the nut into it, then let it dry. Otherwise, the nut falls into the bottom of the socket driver. I'm sure a special tool is made for this, but I'm a po' boy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#5]
just super glue a match head to the side of the slide and shoot it "gangsta"  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Isn't that something.  My friend had a P11 that did the same thing.  We called it a tactical ejection front sight.  I'd go with Trijicon.  They're brighter than Meps and have a clearer dot, to me anyway.  Do you know how it fell off?  I suspect it was jumping ship before the KABOOM.    MJD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock sent my friend a replacement front sight for free.  They should do the same for you.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Alright, thanks for all the feedback fellas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Glock sent my friend a replacement front sight for free.  They should do the same for you.

Exactly.  If you don't want to spend the money on sights, call Glock and tell them what happened, and they will send you a replacement.  They are very easy to intall and as long as you push the little pin in far enough, they most likely will not fall of again.  I am willing to bet the little pin fell out and that allowed your sights to gradually come loose and fly off.

I wouldn't recommend sending the gun back to Glock for this. That would run you in the neighborhood of $45, and even if you bought a front sight on your own, it would only run you about $5 with shipping.

As far as aftermarket sights.  I have been very happy with the Ameriglo brand of sights.  They come with Trijicon tubes installed, and all their sights come with a front sight tool.  The smooth slopes come with the tools for both the front and rear sights.  No other tools required.

www.ameriglo.net
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Just to be fair to Glock, aren't the pistols imported with adjustable plastic sights as a import point "feature" and intended to be replaced once in the US? I was told this once, but don't remember the source. Perhaps at a GSSF match.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just to be fair to Glock, aren't the pistols imported with adjustable plastic sights as a import point "feature" and intended to be replaced once in the US? I was told this once, but don't remember the source. Perhaps at a GSSF match.

I've heard that as well, but I have no way to confirm it.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

yes they are and they are replaced with the sights you buy, the front sight is rare to come off, they will send you one for free. Meprolight in mho are better that trijicons because they have a saphire lens that protects teh vial and also makes the light much more visable, I've had the white paint from the trijicons come off, rare as it is but it happened, also meps are what glock puts in their sights
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes they are and they are replaced with the sights you buy, the front sight is rare to come off, they will send you one for free. Meprolight in mho are better that trijicons because they have a saphire lens that protects teh vial and also makes the light much more visable, I've had the white paint from the trijicons come off, rare as it is but it happened, also meps are what glock puts in their sights

Meprolights do not have saphire lenses, Trijicons do.  That is why the Trijicon tubes look so much sharper than Meps.  To me, the Meps look like a 2 year old kid colored them in with a glow in the dark marker, that is how blurry they look.  If you don't use bore cleaner on the Trijicon sights, like the instructions tell you not to, the white rings won't disappear.  I have Trijicons that were installed in 1997 and the white rings are perfectly intact.  Glock does not always put Meprolights on their guns.  As a matter of fact, up until recently, for the past few months they were exclusively installing Trijicon night  sights on their guns.

This brochure shows the saphire lenses in the Trijicons.  You will not find the same information for mepros anywhere, except for one place, and they are simply incorrect in their description.

www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-night-sight-sets-for-glock.html

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meprolights do not have saphire lenses, Trijicons do.yes they do, I have both sights  That is why the Trijicon tubes look so much sharper than Meps.  To me, the Meps look like a 2 year old kid colored them in with a glow in the dark marker, that is how blurry they look.  If you don't use bore cleaner on the Trijicon sights, like the instructions tell you not to, the white rings won't disappear.  I have Trijicons that were installed in 1997 and the white rings are perfectly intact.  Glock does not always put Meprolights on their guns.  As a matter of fact, up until recently, for the past few months they were exclusively installing Trijicon night  sights on their guns.

This brochure shows the saphire lenses in the Trijicons.  You will not find the same information for mepros anywhere, except for one place, and they are simply incorrect in their description.
oh you mean like their web site, the package of theirs that I am currently holding in my hand, or at the two pistols that have them on there

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
oh and the nights sights with the glock symbol on it are mep inserts with it's and I quote from the meprolight package "sapphire window"
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
oh and the nights sights with the glock symbol on it are mep inserts with it's and I quote from the meprolight package "sapphire window"

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]

ok I found out trijicons and meps are both oem sights, the sapphire lens is both but on the meps it covers the white ring, in the trijicons is doesnt
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meprolights do not have saphire lenses, Trijicons do.yes they do, I have both sights  That is why the Trijicon tubes look so much sharper than Meps.  To me, the Meps look like a 2 year old kid colored them in with a glow in the dark marker, that is how blurry they look.  If you don't use bore cleaner on the Trijicon sights, like the instructions tell you not to, the white rings won't disappear.  I have Trijicons that were installed in 1997 and the white rings are perfectly intact.  Glock does not always put Meprolights on their guns.  As a matter of fact, up until recently, for the past few months they were exclusively installing Trijicon night  sights on their guns.

oh you mean like their web site, the package of theirs that I am currently holding in my hand, or at the two pistols that have them on there

Once again.  Meprolights do not have saphire lenses.  When I installed Meprolights on two of my guns, the packaging did not say they had saphire lenses, the paperwork in the package, which I am holding in my hand right now does not say saphire lenses anywhere.  Nowhere on their website, or any page of a google search does it say they have saphire lenses.  As a matter of fact, the clear that they use to cover the tubes is nothing more than a clear resin.  It doubles as a protective coating and the means to retain the tritium tubes, I have seen it destroyed by heat and it started bubbling like plastic.  Run your finger across it and you can see that it feels rubbery.  Saphire is not rubbery, it feels like glass.  If you can provide one shred of proof that they are saphire, I will stand corrected.  Until then, why would we believe you can tell they have saphire lenses by looking at your sights, when you also have Trijicons and you couldn't even tell they had saphire lenses?

I challenge you to provide one shred of proof, besides your calibrated eye, and I will say I am wrong.   Until then, I will continue to recommend Ameriglos and Trijicons as a far superior sight to Mepros, as they are what I have on the rest of my guns, except for one.  The G17L has Warren Tactical sights.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once again.  Meprolights do not have saphire lenses.  When I installed Meprolights on two of my guns, the packaging did not say they had saphire lenses, the paperwork in the package, which I am holding in my hand right now does not say saphire lenses anywhere.  Nowhere on their website, or any page of a google search does it say they have saphire lenses.  As a matter of fact, the clear that they use to cover the tubes is nothing more than a clear resin.  It doubles as a protective coating and the means to retain the tritium tubes, I have seen it destroyed by heat and it started bubbling like plastic.  Run your finger across it and you can see that it feels rubbery.  Saphire is not rubbery, it feels like glass.  If you can provide one shred of proof that they are saphire, I will stand corrected.  Until then, why would we believe you can tell they have saphire lenses by looking at your sights, when you also have Trijicons and you couldn't even tell they had saphire lenses?

I challenge you to provide one shred of proof, besides your calibrated eye,it's on the back of the meprolight sight package, I never said anything about my calibrated eye you smart ass, I don't have a digi-cam but I'll see what I can do tomorrow about posting a pic of the backside of the package, will that be enouph and I will say I am wrong.   Until then, I will continue to recommend Ameriglos and Trijicons as a far superior sight to Mepros, as they are what I have on the rest of my guns, except for one.  The G17L has Warren Tactical sights.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b260/shmauricio/Glocksights.jpg

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Christ sake, who cares.

They glow, that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
just super glue a match head to the side of the slide and shoot it "gangsta"  

Word to your mother! You can even light the match head and you got nyte sytes yo!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Wait a second... I thought Glocks were perfect.  Glocks never need work... ever.  Only 1911s need to be sent to a gunsmith to be reliable.  Glocks never jam, never have parts fall off and never need cleaned.  Any error is obviously a result of user error and every sober person knows this.  Y'all must be drunk.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wait a second... I thought Glocks were perfect.  Glocks never need work... ever.  Only 1911s need to be sent to a gunsmith to be reliable.  Glocks never jam, never have parts fall off and never need cleaned.  Any error is obviously a result of user error and every sober person knows this.  Y'all must be drunk.  

Yup, obviously a 1911 fan trying to slam po Mr Glock and his fantastic plastic.
Jus pulling your leg a bit.  My glock armorer friend says glock sights, SAVE the tritium ones, are pretty crappy, the original first run 17s were pathetically soft. He says if you buy a glock get the tritium no matter what, they are much better overall.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#24]
here's the back of the mepro package, and if you don't want night sights just steal ones glock sells those too
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
here's the back of the mepro package, and if you don't want night sights just steal ones glock sells those too img73.imageshack.us/img73/9228/ugotowned1wf.jpg

Alright, I will hand it to you.  You posted a picture that shows saphire windows listed on a Mepro package.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here's the back of the mepro package, and if you don't want night sights just steal ones glock sells those too img73.imageshack.us/img73/9228/ugotowned1wf.jpg

Alright, I will hand it to you.  You posted a picture that shows saphire windows listed on a Mepro package.

no hard feelings
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Basically, the front sight on the ol' Glock 20 fell off.  I can't remember when exactly, but it's been missing its sight for about a week now.

Here's a picture.  The hole where the sight used to be looks just fine, as if it would just fit right back in if I could find it.

Third, of course, is related to the second:  How much would it cost to have them installed?  Is it feasible to do it myself?

Darx,
I'm feeling VERY generous and if you want them (totally free of charge) I have a set of 2005 Trijicons for a Glock 20/21/29/30/31/32 that I'll give you and install on your slide if you send me the slide.  (the front is a screw on front sight).

The sights are like new and I had them on my Glock 20 for about 2 months, then swapped them out for a Warren rear and Dawson front.  If you'll pay shipping for sending your slide back to you, I'll install them and give them to you totally free.

Let me know.

Stay Safe,
Robb
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Darx,
I'm feeling VERY generous and if you want them (totally free of charge) I have a set of 2005 Trijicons for a Glock 20/21/29/30/31/32 that I'll give you and install on your slide if you send me the slide.  (the front is a screw on front sight).

The sights are like new and I had them on my Glock 20 for about 2 months, then swapped them out for a Warren rear and Dawson front.  If you'll pay shipping for sending your slide back to you, I'll install them and give them to you totally free.

Let me know.

Stay Safe,
Robb

dude, you a kickass nice guy
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Darx,
I'm feeling VERY generous and if you want them (totally free of charge) I have a set of 2005 Trijicons for a Glock 20/21/29/30/31/32 that I'll give you and install on your slide if you send me the slide. (the front is a screw on front sight).

The sights are like new and I had them on my Glock 20 for about 2 months, then swapped them out for a Warren rear and Dawson front. If you'll pay shipping for sending your slide back to you, I'll install them and give them to you totally free.

Let me know.

Stay Safe,
Robb

Wow, damn man.  Thanks.  Sounds good to me, I'll IM you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top