Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 10:15:15 AM EDT
just out of curiosity:

***** how many of you shoot your carry gun alot

I shoot my carry gun (G19) very frequent and many rounds (like 300-500 rounds every other weekend) and i was wondering if this was a bad idea? my thoughts are

+ i shoot it very well and very accurate and have a good feel for the weapon
-  I could be jeopardizing the reliability (although its a GLOCK so i dont worry that much

***** also what do you suggest if anything i do to make sure my Carry weapon stays appsolutly reliable if i continue to shoot it as i do?

thanks just looking for thoughts and past exsperiences when doing as i do
I know there are m,any with 100K rounds throuhg their GLOCKS but i have yet to put this many rounds throuhg any guna nd im looking for thoughts regarding my G19 being my carry gun should i slow down the use of it or not worry
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Shooting the shit out of your GLOCK is the best thing you can do. Don't worry, you will wear out long before the GLOCK.

I put at least 100-200 rounds through my GLOCK 19 every single week. The pistol has over 30,000 rounds on it with ZERO malfunctions. The only thing I have replaced was the recoil sping assembly afeter 20,000 rounds. The G19 is the only pistol I carry as a primary weapon and is the gun most likely to be used to save my life. I also try to put 30-50 rounds a week through my back up gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't shoot them quite as much as you describe above, but I put at least 200-300 rounds through my primary CCWs each month (more when taking a class, of course) plus a few mags through my pocket/BUG.  I would suggest that you consider getting an exact duplicate of your primary CCW - a good idea for the inevitable time when it needs repair/service or when you simply want to send it for custom work.  Beyond that, if it ever hiccups or you just get concerned about the number of rounds down the pipe, have it checked over by a certified Glock armorer (not a bad thing to do periodically anyway IMHO - I have my own Glocks checked out every 4-5 years FWIW).
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#3]
good idea, about the getting it checked out part as my G19 is brand new 3rd Gen and i purchased it not to long ago i still have put aaround 3k rounds throuhg it, and right now the funds are low and this spring i will be purchasing a number more firearms, and including will be more Glocks

right now i  have mnay firearms and i really enjoy shooting my 1911's but i have fallin in love with my little G19 with its high cap mags and such i just enjoy shooting it and tend to shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds everyother week sometime more frequent

i will have to find a cert. GLOCk armorer i guess would be a very good idea
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Guys becareful on the Kabooms gLocks.  After shooting that many rounds.....its only a matter of time........

I shoot my CCW more than I shoot anything else.  I rotate between 9/45 and carry each about 50/50
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... right now i  have mnay firearms and i really enjoy shooting my 1911's but i have fallin in love with my little G19 with its high cap mags and such i just enjoy shooting it and tend to shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds everyother week sometime more frequent...

No need to explain... a G19 (my very first of currently 8 Glocks ) has been my primary carry-gun for more than a decade now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Some people's carry gun is their only gun, and that's what gets shot all the time.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
No doubt
my thoughts are this

Carry gun = a weapon you trust your life with and count on to go bang when needed!

Although some peoples only gun might be their carry gun im pretty sure they wont be running 1k rounds through it every week or two, and by the time this Firearm is 1 year old mine will have shot probaly 100,000 rounds,  im just asking the guys who have a Carry pistol that has shot 100k rounds and they still trust to give me some feedback and suggestions
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No doubt
my thoughts are this

Carry gun = a weapon you trust your life with and count on to go bang when needed!

Although some peoples only gun might be their carry gun im pretty sure they wont be running 1k rounds through it every week or two, and by the time this Firearm is 1 year old mine will have shot probaly 100,000 rounds,  im just asking the guys who have a Carry pistol that has shot 100k rounds and they still trust to give me some feedback and suggestions

400 rounds every two weeks will only total 10,400 rounds over a year. Even if you shoot Wolf, 100,000 rounds will cost you  $10,000.00.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
NOT TO MENTION I AM LOOKING FOR COMMENTS ON WHETHER IT WILL AFFECT MY WEAPON AND HOW AND WHAT TO DO TO KEEP IT RUNNING TIP TOP DONT NEED ANY FLAMES

WITH ALL THE BUDDIES SHOOTING IT LIKE I DO AND ALL THE AMMO RELOADED AND ALL THE CASES OF 9MM FROM SPORTSMAN GUIDE IM SURE IT WILL SHOOT 100K ROUND NOT TO LONG FROM NOW MAYBE NOT A YEAR BUT AS I  DID PROBALY SAY THAT I  MEANT THROUGH ITS LIFE OF BEING MY CARRY WEAPON BEFORE I GETS REPLACED BY A NEWER GLOCK DOWN THE ROAD
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I swap carry guns depending on the situation one opf them I shoot rarely, the others quite often. Heck, I  have even hunted with one of them (.357 Ruger security six).
The smallest gun (FEG PA63) is ok to shoot recreationally but not my favorite. The BHP I shoot in IDPA and other action shooting events. The .357 ruger is just fun to play with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#11]
if you mean shooting the shit out of it like 1000k rounds in the past two days, then yes....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Your poll is missing a question:

* GLOCKs are such shit that it makes no difference anyway

More seriously: if your carry gun can't stand up to a fair bit of shooting then you have chosen the wrong gun. Mine has seen a good deal of use. I would rather know it went bang every time for a couple of hundred times yesterday, than to know it went bang ten times in a row 6  months ago.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

***** also what do you suggest if anything i do to make sure my Carry weapon stays appsolutly reliable if i continue to shoot it as i do?

If you do nothing else, I would minimally wipe the feed ramp clean after every 300-500 round range session, especially if you carry fat hollowpoints like Gold dots.    I would clean the gun a little better after than many rounds, but an un-cruddy feedramp is key, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot it every chance I get.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#15]
It won't "hurt" your gun. Ummm...you might slowly wear out your barrel and parts, eventually your accuracy will be reduced. That is many thousands of rounds down the round... I wouldn't worry, you can replace parts.

Besides, if you are shooting that many rounds, I'm sure you can afford to have it worked on as needed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
if you mean shooting the shit out of it like 1000k rounds in the past two days, then yes....

I don't wanna meet the guy who can run a million rounds through a Glock in 2 days...

Woody
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Why wouldn't you shoot your carry gun a lot is the question :P  You want to know your weapon that you carry.  Not practicing with it just isn't smart!

ETA: 150-250 every week and 1/2 - 2 weeks I'd say is my rate of shooting my carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#18]
i know im just saying  it differs some form moneth to month but within each month i shoot between 1k to 1.5 k rounds could be more sometimes if me and the buddies go alot
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Even though it is a glock it wont hurt anything by shooting it alot.   Seriously the 9mm glocks are the most durable of the lot.   I doubt you could shoot it enough to wear it out.   Keep up on the springs and such every few thousand rounds and you should be fine.    I hate to think of how many thousands of dollars in .45acp my 1911s have fired and they just keep trucking along.    I replaced my sear on my oldest recently after well over 100,000+ rounds through it.   It never malfunctions and is still pretty accurate.   It's my daily carry gun and I dont worry about it.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO you should practice with what you carry, but if you plan on shooting, say 1k/month, I would Mostly (not all) practice with a different gun.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#21]
well im not even gonna worry about it, i like the idea of knowing my gun inside and out and with the rounds i put down range its makes the gun pretty much point itself and i feel real comfortable with any shot i have to take,  strong or weak hand

and i also found a armorer so im not gonna worry a bit about it im gonna have him check it over three times a year

anyways good deal thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#22]
If you shoot more than 87 rounds per week you're in DEEP SHIT!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Wasn't it made to shoot ?

Shoot...maintain....shoot...maintain.

I without a doubt give my carry guns a better goin over after a range session and before they go back into my holster, than my just for fun / range guns.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
yes i know it was made to shoot my question as oringinaly posted was i shoot mine quite a bit and this isnt justa  gun i shoot alot and dont want to malfunction its a gun a carry everyday and trust my life with and was just asking for comments of things i should do if i keep shooting 1.5k each month or more, and whether i should or shouldnt do this with any gun i put the upmost trust in

but i have gotten the feedback i needed, keep the good well worth comments coming
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top