Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 4:46:42 AM EDT
At the not so fun-show yesterday Georgia Arms was selling new ammo loaded with 180gr Gold dots loaded to +P pressures. Muzzle velocity was 1,150fps. Someone tell me I am wrong but isn't it a tad on the dangerous side to load .40S&W ammo to +P pressures? I haven't even seen a gun that supports +P anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:56:30 AM EDT
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous. Just goes to show you that you should never buy ANYONE's reloaded ammo.

I will say this though Alliant lists a load that has a 180gr GD at 1065 FPS so they are not that far off and their velocity may be a bit overstated.

I have loaded a 135gr at 1450 FPS out of my G-35 and there were no pressure signs at all. The fired cases would drop right back into a case gage.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous.

That is what I thought because that bullet/velocity combo is pretty much identical with the 10mm auto. I picked up the bag looked at it and said "Yikes!" and laid it back down. No reason to shoot +P in a .40 anyway. Might was well as get the 10mm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
Sounds to me like a KABOOM waiting to happen. It might work alright in a fully supported chamber on a Sig or XD or something, but there's no way in hell I'd run a reloaded .40+P through a Glock barrel. MJD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous.

That is what I thought because that bullet/velocity combo is pretty much identical with the 10mm auto. I picked up the bag looked at it and said "Yikes!" and laid it back down. No reason to shoot +P in a .40 anyway. Might was well as get the 10mm

Yep!!!! And you wont be sorry either!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
Last I checked there were no SAAMI standards for +P .40 S&W? In other words, there's just no such thing?

Unless that changed recently...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:56:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Last I checked there were no SAAMI standards for +P .40 S&W? In other words, there's just no such thing?

That is what I thought but sure enough it had +P on the bag along with the velocity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:41:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

There isn't.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:
Sounds to me like a KABOOM waiting to happen. It might work alright in a fully supported chamber on a Sig or XD or something, but there's no way in hell I'd run a reloaded .40+P through a Glock barrel. MJD

I was unaware Sigs and xd's now had fully supported chambers.
Top Top