Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 4:46:42 AM EDT
At the not so fun-show yesterday Georgia Arms was selling new ammo loaded with 180gr Gold dots loaded to +P pressures.  Muzzle velocity was 1,150fps.  Someone tell me I am wrong but isn't it a tad on the dangerous side to load .40S&W ammo to +P pressures?  I haven't even seen a gun that supports +P anyway.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous.  Just goes to show you that you should never buy ANYONE's reloaded ammo.  

I will say this though Alliant lists a load that has a 180gr GD at 1065 FPS so they are not that far off and their velocity may be a bit overstated.  

I have loaded a 135gr at 1450 FPS out of my G-35 and there were no pressure signs at all.  The fired cases would drop right back into a case gage.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous.  

That is what I thought because that bullet/velocity combo is pretty much identical with the 10mm auto.  I picked up the bag looked at it and said "Yikes!" and laid it back down.  No reason to shoot +P in a .40 anyway.  Might was well as get the 10mm
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds to me like a KABOOM waiting to happen.  It might work alright in a fully supported chamber on a Sig or XD or something, but there's no way in hell I'd run a reloaded .40+P through a Glock barrel.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Standard 40 S&W is on the ragged edge of being over pressured so IMHO +P would be dangerous.  

That is what I thought because that bullet/velocity combo is pretty much identical with the 10mm auto.  I picked up the bag looked at it and said "Yikes!" and laid it back down.  No reason to shoot +P in a .40 anyway.  Might was well as get the 10mm

Yep!!!! And you wont be sorry either!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Last I checked there were no SAAMI standards for +P .40 S&W? In other words, there's just no such thing?

Unless that changed recently...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last I checked there were no SAAMI standards for +P .40 S&W? In other words, there's just no such thing?

That is what I thought but sure enough it had +P on the bag along with the velocity.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

There isn't.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sounds to me like a KABOOM waiting to happen.  It might work alright in a fully supported chamber on a Sig or XD or something, but there's no way in hell I'd run a reloaded .40+P through a Glock barrel.  MJD

I was unaware Sigs and xd's now had fully supported chambers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top