Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 2:21:10 PM EDT
OK guys, I know a little bit about S&W revolvers and have owned many but don't know much about S&W autos (never owned one). I need some educating. I have a big problem with CCW guns because I have huge hands and I am very particular about the way guns feel in my hand. Well,I went to a gunshow today and a guy had a nickel S&W 439 for sale. WOW!!!! If ever a gun was made for me, this was it. Felt like an absolute dream when I picked it up. Great fit for my hand, concealability and great looks. He wanted $450 OTD for it. I passed it up (for now) because I really don't know anything about this model and S&W autos in general. I have several questions and would greatly appreciate any information you S&W guys can share.

1. Is this 439 a good reliable gun?
2. Is this still made or is this an older model? When were they produced?
3. I have heard of the model 39 before. What is the difference between the 39 and 439?
4. Is Nickel original to this gun or was the gun in question refinished.
5. Is there a S&W model that is similar in a .45 (the only thing I don't like about the gun is the 9mm chambering).
6. Are parts and mags hard to find for this gun?
7. Any other concerns?

Thanks in Advance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
From the pics on gunsamerica.com and gunbroker.com I'd say it looks a lot like a S&W 39-2.  The 39-2 is a single stack 9mm, most that I've seen have fixed sights...maybe thats the difference between the two?

Everybody has opinions but it is mine that S&W autos dont get nearly the respect they deserve.  Granted they are no Sig, but the ones I've shot have been plenty reliable and the price for a used one is usually pretty good.

1. Probably reliable, you would want to give it a thorough thrashing before trusting it as with anything.
2. I dont know when they were produced, try google.  They do not make this model anymore (it does not show on their website)
3. See above.  Sights, maybe barrel length, maybe frame material (alloy or steel?) Not sure.
4.  Dont know if the nickel is original but gunsamerica and gunborker both listed nickel plated ones, so it would probably be safe to assume there is a good possibility it is factory.
5.  4506, 4566, S&W 1911PD Commander size, or anything else that starts with the number "45"
6.  You just have to know where to look.  Consult google, gunshows, heck who knows it may be able to share mags with a 39.  Ask in the S&W section here.
7.  If you buy it be sure to give it a good thrashing with a few hundred rounds before you carry it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The S&W 9mm has 3 different generations. They are from oldest to latest the model 39, 439 and now the 3904. These all have aluminum frames. There are 2nd and 3rd generation stell frame 9mm's. They are the 639 and the 3906, respectively.

The are some internal and external differences between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation models.

The S&W autos are very reliable pistols that are underappreciated in my opinion.

Some 439's were made with a nickle slide and a polished aluminum frame.

There are 2nd and 3rd generation 45's made by S&W. They are the 645 and the 4506, respectively.

Parts and mags are easy to find. I have owned, and still own, S&W auto pistols for many years. I really like them as they are very reliable and well made.

Because they are not very popular they tend to have a high new sale price and a relatively low resale price when used. $450 seems a little high. I would offer $375 to $400, max, and only if the gun is in very good condition, plus.

Charles the Gunsmith.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top