Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 7:42:30 AM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a khar pistol in .40 s&w for a pocket pistol, do any of you guys have one?  Do you like them, how do they shoot....ect.

Thanks
Polytech
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a steel framed Kahr, they seem to be less problematic then the polymer ones. My MK9 is a great gun! Accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a fan of the 9mm Kahrs.  They just don't "feel" right and I can't hit consistently with them.  I've shot at least 1000 rounds through the polymer and two steel framed ones... they just aren't for me.

If you handle the .40 and like it, give it a try.  You can always sell it.

I, personally, would like to fondle Kahr's new .45.   Looks beefier and may sit in the hand better.

- BG
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a Kahr P9.  I like it.  I've never had a problem or malfunction with it.  It's very accurate for me.  It shoots nicely.  It does like to be cleaned.  Never had a malfunction, but I used to be able to feel it cycling just a hair slower after I'd put 500 or 600 rounds through it.  It didn't affect it's actual firing, though.  It definitely jumps, as it's a very light pistol.  Once I got used to it, though, it was right back on target for follow up shots.  Just takes a little bit of practice, and a firm grip.

I like it alot.  Personal preference.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Steel frame. Two Cents.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a steel framed 9mm (MK9), and love it.  Never had a failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a PM9 and took it directly to the range when I bought it.  I didn't even clean it.  At about 40 rounds it started not going completely into battery.  It was pretty dry though.

I took it home and cleaned it thoroughly and oiled it.  Second time out we put about 50 more rounds through it without a single issue.  It definitely does not like feeding a round if you just pull the slide back and follow it back home.  You have to treat it like an AR and pull the slide all the way back and let go or it will either not feed the round or not go completely into battery.

But I'm only at 100 rounds and it has fed 115gr gold dots and wwb 115gr without issue once I cleaned it.

I don't find the recoil to be bad at all but the .40 model I would guess would be pretty harsh.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a PM9 and love it.  It's my always carry gun.

I put a Hogue Handall Jr. grip on it and made it even better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife's primary is a Kahr P9.  It's balls-on reliable, slim, light, and has a nice trigger.  My only bitch is that I have big hands, and the gun is too small for me to get used to.  But the Mrs. loves it.  But if you've got meathooks like me, you might consider something else.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry my PM9 everyday. Since the break in , it has never had a single feeding, firing, or ejecting problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Where I go, my PM9 goes. 500+ rounds with no probs at all. I chose 147gr Gold Dots for it and I can shoot it very well. Want to see how well? Kick in my door, beyotch!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like my PM9.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a K40 and it's been reliable.  Hard to shoot accurately, but reliable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Carried a K9 for two years.  Excellent gun but HEAVY for the size.  Sharp edges on the tang would cut my hand when firing.  Rounded those down and fixed the problem.  Also got some rust on the side of the frame out of nowhere (yes rust on stainless).  About half a dozen pin head size dots of black that I cleaned with a wire brush.  Left small pits.  Guncoated the frame black after that and had no more issues.

Excellent customer service.  Kahr sent me a new barrel free because mine was one of the early ones with the tight lead and would not chamber some rounds.   No charge even though I bought the gun used.  Doesn't get any better than that.

Accuracy was outstanding.  One hole groups at 10 yards from a bench.

Finally traded it off because I got tired of the weight.  Want to like the polymer ones but I have heard too many stories of problems to trust them.

Bottom line is the steel framed guns are excellent if you don't mind the weight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
My PM9 and P9 are my favorite carry guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Got to handle and fire the new PM45 yesterday. I very fine pistol. I still prefer my PM9 due to it's size, but for those looking for a small .45, this pistol handles recoil very well and had muzzle flip comparable to a PM40. Very nice gun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a P9 for a year or so.  It was very reliable and accurate (for its size).  The only reason I got rid of it was to get the higher capacity of a Springfield XD subcompact.  Kahr builds excellent pistols.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got a K40 and it's been reliable.  Hard to shoot accurately, but reliable.

Same here lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top