Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 9:47:30 AM EDT
OK, I have (or perhaps had) a sig 226 in 9mm.  It is/was a CPO that I liked quite a lot.  Well the back sight got loose, so I took it to a gunsmith on the other side of town.  That was several weeks ago.  I've only spoken to him once.  A couple of weeks ago, I called when it was originally supposed to be done and he said another couple of days.  Haven't heard anything since.  I call every couple of days.  

So, today I called and left another message saying that I will pick it up tomorrow whether it's done of not.  In addition, if it is not there, I will contact the better business burea and the police.  

Any other suggestions?

Oh yea, this is Tejas Gunworks in Austin.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
OK, I have (or perhaps had) a sig 226 in 9mm.  It is/was a CPO that I liked quite a lot.  Well the back sight got loose, so I took it to a gunsmith on the other side of town.  That was several weeks ago.  I've only spoken to him once.  A couple of weeks ago, I called when it was originally supposed to be done and he said another couple of days.  Haven't heard anything since.  I call every couple of days.  

So, today I called and left another message saying that I will pick it up tomorrow whether it's done of not.  In addition, if it is not there, I will contact the better business burea and the police.  

Any other suggestions?

I've dealt with some ungodly slow and unresponsive gunsmiths.  Just go over there and pick it up, and never set foot in there again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Your problem doesn't seem to be so big a deal.  I would calm down.  A month is common.  6 weeks would be my threshold.  If he can't fix it in 6 weeks he's a mental reject.  For the future don't use gunsmiths.  Do the work yourself and you won't have to deal with it taking 60times as long as it needs to.  This sounds like something there should be a product for the owner to fix this by himself.

Gunsmiths today seem to have MAJOR FUCKING ISSUES.  

My gun was AWOL for over 2 years.  

I get very concerned when I think of shipping out of my area anymore.  

"ungodly slow and unresponsive gunsmiths"

AMEN
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any other suggestions?

I've dealt with some ungodly slow and unresponsive gunsmiths.  Just go over there and pick it up, and never set foot in there again.

I had a gun at a smith for almost a year and he seemed to get pissed when I asked about it after "only" 3 months. I finally picked it up after ten and a half months and he still hadn't touched it. Why in the hell they take in more work when they can't handle what they already have is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Drive over and talk to him first.  Could be a hundred reasons why he didn't get the message.

Get out of the 'over-react' mode.

When you get it back, send it to Sig like you should have done in the first place.  Free is free!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

skip the bbb, no one reads that crap before they go to any business, did you? go straight to the atf if you can't get it back
Any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Just go burn his place of business down. J/K
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#7]
gunsmiths live in their own timeframe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
This is a serious problem and can only be handled  by tactics and superior fire power.
Go in there guns blazing.
A few weeks is nothing with a gunsmith, if you don't need the thing right away I would just have let
him fix it. Or learn to do it you're self
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
DRAW DOWN!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't have had a problem if he had told me that it would take so long from the start.  I do have other guns should SHTF.  The frustrating thing is he originally told me a week.  Then it was another week.  Now, he just doesn't answer the phone.  

The way I see it, best case scenario is that he is lazy and unresponsive.  

And yes, I think I will deal w/ sig directly when/if I get it back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Well he just called me.  Funny how threatening to call the police gets someone's attention.  He told me that he stopped work on the gun (ha ha) because I was too difficult to deal w/.  Apparently he's had every issue in the book.  I guess I don't care when it comes down to it.  If he would have spent the minute it would have taken to call me and say that it would be quite a bit more time I would probably have understood and waited.  Too late now, I'm picking up my gun at 9 tomorrow morning.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#12]
A loose rear sight was to tough for him? Man I would never go there again. If he would have said a month I would be OK with it but if he said a week he better have a good explination if it is not done on time.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a stupid excuse from TejasGW. The only gunsmiths I use in Austin are Alan Tillman at ART Enterprises and Hank Fleming. Alan just finished working on a P229 for me and it took all of 5 days. He's only open on MWF.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#14]
My local gunsmith has had my Ed Brown for 3.5 months now and everytime I call he's told me that it'll be ready next week -- seriously.  What incredibly complicated procedure is he performing?  He's putting an ambi-safety on it .  I called him today and he finally got around to ordering the part and expects it to be in tomorrow.  If it's not ready by this Sat I'm just picking it up and walking out.  Either way he's never getting a bit of business from me again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks, glad to know I'm not being unreasonable in expecting a simple phonecall when it's weeks past the promised date.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
This seems to be a very strong reason to learn to DIY. Most things on a firearm are well within the skills of the average person of average mechanical ability. You aren't designing a gun, machining a gun, nor are you doing any welding. Many small tasks can be done on your workbench with a little bit of thought a preparation. If you think I'm kidding, look at the number of people who build FALs, AKs, AR, and 1911s for a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't see how a gunsmith gets SO busy that it takes him a month to intall a part.  
I'm sure many of us here can put togather a gun from a pile of pieces in a matter of minutes.  
OK, so he has to have a part shipped to HIM before he can install it.  Still, it should only take 1 to 2 weeks MAX for him to get the part.  

I know of machine shops that do custom re-builds on auto engines...in a matter of a few weeks!  
Thats w/ ordering parts and all!  

Is there something I'm missing here?  If he said a week, a week it should be.  If he was very busy then he should have told you it'd be longer.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Any other suggestions?

OMG! I have dealt with this dude over gunbroker. Worst customer service I have ever experianced. I got my gun eventually but it was over a month after he recieved payment (he lied and claimed to have it in stock when he did not). Do us all a favor and burn it down man. (J/K for CoC purposes)

By the way, his AOL screen name is TERRYLAMAR. I got him to ship harassing him online every day. One bullshit excuse after another.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I picked up my gun.  It's fine and there was no charge.  I would have hit the roof if there had been one.  He claims that he had it apart when he got my call.  Whatever.  I'll never deal w/ him again.  I do believe that he had a bunch of stuff come up.   I don't, however, believe that he didn't have the 60 seconds it would have taken to return my call.  

Maybe threatening the police was harsh, but it got him to return my call and got my gun back.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any other suggestions?

OMG! I have dealt with this dude over gunbroker. Worst customer service I have ever experianced. I got my gun eventually but it was over a month after he recieved payment (he lied and claimed to have it in stock when he did not). Do us all a favor and burn it down man. (J/K for CoC purposes)

By the way, his AOL screen name is TERRYLAMAR. I got him to ship harassing him online every day. One bullshit excuse after another.

Then maybe you'll understand me when I say that his "store" was a dump.  I think my beat up sig was worth the whole thing thrown together.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmm.  Sounds like I might need to pick up a few gunsmithing videos and start up a side business.  I'm thinking even a 7 day turn-around on basic gunsmithing, I'll be golden.    Never realized how slow some gunsmiths can be.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hmmm.  Sounds like I might need to pick up a few gunsmithing videos and start up a side business.  I'm thinking even a 7 day turn-around on basic gunsmithing, I'll be golden.    Never realized how slow some gunsmiths can be.

If you did good work at a fair price and turned it around in 7 days, we would beat a path to your door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top