Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger P90.  As accurate as any 1911 I've ever owned.  100% reliable.  And probably cheaper than any of the three you listed.  A tad bulky but no worse than the SIG or H & K.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Screw the XD. Regardless of what people say it is a cheap gun made for a demographic of gun buyers who cannot afford a SIG or HK, but seek the an alternative to Glock.
hr

I don't understand why this would be a reason to rule the XD out.  Sounds like you're saying "buy the SIG or HK 'cause it's more expensive". hinking.gif Which could also be translated "I bought an HK or SIG and refuse to believe that I could have bought a well made, reliable, accurate handgun for hundreds less".
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Scandium Smith and Wesson.  I've handled these at gun shows and they are awesome.  Might be too light though (think painful recoil).  I'd love to have one of these in .357.
No problem shooting shotshells through one of these either.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't understand why this would be a reason to rule the XD out.  Sounds like you're saying "buy the SIG or HK 'cause it's more expensive". Which could also be translated "I bought an HK or SIG and refuse to believe that I could have bought a well made, reliable, accurate handgun for hundreds less".

The XD is a reliable handgun. My personal experience with a friends XD .40 S&W OD Green Tactical has been less than the stuff I have read in magazines. He has had numerous failure to feeds. I have read many, many great things about the XD and I tend to agree with the fact that the XD is a great pistol for the money.
However, there are better options on the market.

Quoted:
I've never fired or own a Sig or HK before, but I can tell you the XD is not a piece of crap.

I've shot about 600 rounds through mine and it has not FTF or FTE'ed one time. Great finish, Great ergonomics, great price. Love my Bi-Tone slide. This is my first gun ever. It is a great gun and I will buy another.

When you shoot one of those get back to the community. Perhaps then you will begin to understand why more selective gun buyers have chosen SIG and HK over the cheaper Glocks and XDs time and time again.

Quoted:
I own several SIG's and 1 HK USP. I own 3 XD's and I will say that one of the XD has been a problem pistol(leamon). The other 2 have been superb hand guns. As accurate as my SIG's and HK. All group 1 inch or less at 10 yards. The XD's have been 100% reliable, extreemly durable(I have purposley droped the XD in a lake and fished it out full of mud and it fired with out a hitch). I like how heavy the rails are compaired to every other polymer made gun. They are real heavy and not just 2 thin tabs the slide rides on(by far the best designed rails on a polymer hand gun made to date). The machining is top quality as are the SIG and HK. Also the feel of the way the mags slide in and out is better then any other hand gun I have felt......super smooth and crips!

Accuracy has more to do with the shooter than the pistol. I doubt very few people on this entire board could shoot to the full potential a pistol has.
I will argue that the maching is as good as the SIG and HK. If you take an XD apart, you can see that the quality is not as good as the slide on an HK. The HK seemed much more smooth and "cleaner" than my friends XD.

To top it off SIG and HK pistols come stock with much better finishes. HK has a hostile enviroment finish that blows the finish of an XD out of the water.
-The ability to have the hammer in three different positions, with or without the safety on/off in each hammer position. And you have have up to nine other different variants.
-A patented recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear.
-Much more agressive checkering for a much better fit and you can hold onto it.
-No trigger safety to mess your finger up on
-Enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves
-Actually has an external safety, you can not use it if you see fit
-External Hammer for double strike capabilty
-If your XD fails to fire, it will not be able to be fired until the user manually operates the slide
-Sights are in a slight pyramid shape to quickly guide the shooters eyes to the three dots.
-Threaded barrel for use with supressor (Tactical Model)

If your XDs can beat that then by all means declare it a better weapon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The big problem as I see it is the snakeshot first round, and general ability to eat grime.  I'd not place much money on any autopistol's ability to reliably cycle shotshells.  My man up there says his Glock will do it, but the whole setup sounds less than ideal.  Autopistol shotshells seem to be kind of a carney sideshow operation, like those bolo 12ga rounds and .22lr tracers and shit.  I will concede their value perhaps against a snake, but I wouldn't want to rely on their flawless function if it were my ass against a big cat.  Fuck that no.

To my mind, that says revolver.  They go bang six times (or 7-8) no matter what motley collection of bullshit you happen to load 'em with
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SO, Im thinking about the following.

1) Springfield XD Tactical 45 ACP - Since SA started putting the new finishs on the XDs I will seriously consider one of them.

2) Sig Arms P220R DAK 45 ACP

3) H&K USP 45 ACP

SO, what do you guys think?

1) The XD's are supposed to be pretty good, but I hate the feel of them, as well as not having both single action and double.

2) I will never own an auto pistol that's only capable of horrible revolver like trigger pulls. I personally think DAO is a fad, but that's a different subject. The 220R would be my first choice, just not DAO.

3) The USP is an excellent choice, but it is bulky. Go shoot one to see how you like it, but it is as solid as a rock.

For what you're doing, I'd get a SIG 220R Carry. I'd spec it out in the following manner.
-220R Carry with stainless slide for added moisture resistance.
-Single and double action. You need light and quick trigger pulls.
-A Surefire X200. In the wilderness, you can never have to much light.
-One standard capacity magazine to carry, and two ten rounders for any drastic situation you can dream of.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't understand why this would be a reason to rule the XD out.  Sounds like you're saying "buy the SIG or HK 'cause it's more expensive". Which could also be translated "I bought an HK or SIG and refuse to believe that I could have bought a well made, reliable, accurate handgun for hundreds less".

The XD is a reliable handgun. My personal experience with a friends XD .40 S&W OD Green Tactical has been less than the stuff I have read in magazines. He has had numerous failure to feeds. I have read many, many great things about the XD and I tend to agree with the fact that the XD is a great pistol for the money.
However, there are better options on the market.

Quoted:
I've never fired or own a Sig or HK before, but I can tell you the XD is not a piece of crap.

I've shot about 600 rounds through mine and it has not FTF or FTE'ed one time. Great finish, Great ergonomics, great price. Love my Bi-Tone slide. This is my first gun ever. It is a great gun and I will buy another.

When you shoot one of those get back to the community. Perhaps then you will begin to understand why more selective gun buyers have chosen SIG and HK over the cheaper Glocks and XDs time and time again.

Quoted:
I own several SIG's and 1 HK USP. I own 3 XD's and I will say that one of the XD has been a problem pistol(leamon). The other 2 have been superb hand guns. As accurate as my SIG's and HK. All group 1 inch or less at 10 yards. The XD's have been 100% reliable, extreemly durable(I have purposley droped the XD in a lake and fished it out full of mud and it fired with out a hitch). I like how heavy the rails are compaired to every other polymer made gun. They are real heavy and not just 2 thin tabs the slide rides on(by far the best designed rails on a polymer hand gun made to date). The machining is top quality as are the SIG and HK. Also the feel of the way the mags slide in and out is better then any other hand gun I have felt......super smooth and crips!

Accuracy has more to do with the shooter than the pistol. I doubt very few people on this entire board could shoot to the full potential a pistol has.
I will argue that the maching is as good as the SIG and HK. If you take an XD apart, you can see that the quality is not as good as the slide on an HK. The HK seemed much more smooth and "cleaner" than my friends XD.

To top it off SIG and HK pistols come stock with much better finishes. HK has a hostile enviroment finish that blows the finish of an XD out of the water.
-The ability to have the hammer in three different positions, with or without the safety on/off in each hammer position. And you have have up to nine other different variants.
-A patented recoil reduction system that drastically reduces wear and tear.
-Much more agressive checkering for a much better fit and you can hold onto it.
-No trigger safety to mess your finger up on
-Enlarged trigger guard for use with gloves
-Actually has an external safety, you can not use it if you see fit
-External Hammer for double strike capabilty
-If your XD fails to fire, it will not be able to be fired until the user manually operates the slide
-Sights are in a slight pyramid shape to quickly guide the shooters eyes to the three dots.
-Threaded barrel for use with supressor (Tactical Model)

If your XDs can beat that then by all means declare it a better weapon.

I agree with most of what you are saying. There are lemons in even type of gun and I have bought several! The machining on 2 of my XD's is as good inside and out as the SIG's and HK I own.

Several of the other things you mention are opinions and could go eather way. Like the sharper checkering on the HK, the trigger safety, sights, ect. those are all prefrences and do not make one pistol better then the other.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Given the needs you specified.  I'd have to say that a Smith & Wesson 625 fits perfectly.
www.budsgunshop.com/auction/26319.jpg

I second the revolver suggestion. Revolvers are made for hunting. I'd even say a model 629 or 29 in .44 magnum (if you can afford this ammo). .45 is excellent against things on 2 legs, but I'd feel better with .44 magnum for some of the bigger things on 4 legs.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
that test is of a G21 vs a USP COMPACT.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#11]
S&W 500 do it
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
buy a smiff-n-wessin 10 mike mike revolver.  model #610.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top