Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:41:56 PM EDT
I know its not too good for rimfire guns but how about centerfires?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:50:26 PM EDT
I dry fire mine all the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:39:06 PM EDT
I dry-fire my USP Tactical.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:13:29 PM EDT
I use Azoom snap caps and dry fire all the time. It is important to I think. Not every one has $$$$$$ they are rolling in to shoot 500rds a month. You certainly need the range time but dry fiering can help you with things and some of them you do not notice as much when live fiering. It has helped me with my double action trigger pull a lot.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:48:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
I use Azoom snap caps and dry fire all the time. It is important to I think. Not every one has $$$$$$ they are rolling in to shoot 500rds a month. You certainly need the range time but dry fiering can help you with things and some of them you do not notice as much when live fiering. It has helped me with my double action trigger pull a lot.

Yep it does help with trigger pull. Solved the problem I had of shooting low n left with the first and last Glock I owned. It did carry over to the XD which is close to a Glock in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:46:58 PM EDT
Thanks guys thats good to know so I dont have to worry about that. I just bought my first handgun for carry its a subcompact XD so Im really new to this side of the gun world.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:23:02 AM EDT
Dry-firing may, over time, damage the roll pin that retains your firing pin. It's not a big deal, the pin's easily replaced, just be aware of it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:24:50 AM EDT
If you use azooms it should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:26:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
If you use azooms it should not be a problem.

Yea I got some for my shotgun guess Ill buy some for my pistol too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:28:02 PM EDT
I don't know how true this is, but someone once told me that dry firing is mainly an issue with guns that have the firing pin attatched to the hammer. It semms logical to me, maybe someone can "myth bust" that one for us.

I don't think I own a gun I don't dryfire. My XD must be dryfired in order to remove the slide.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:07:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hanibal:
I don't know how true this is, but someone once told me that dry firing is mainly an issue with guns that have the firing pin attatched to the hammer. It semms logical to me, maybe someone can "myth bust" that one for us.

I don't think I own a gun I don't dryfire. My XD must be dryfired in order to remove the slide.

Could be. I was always told it came from older break action long guns. The firing pin could protrude beyond breech face(correct terminology?) and when you loaded new rounds and closed the action the protruding firing pin could set of the primer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:09 AM EDT
I dry fire the hell out of mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:47:21 AM EDT
IMO Dry Firing is Excellent practice... can learn A Lot without ammo cost..
For serious dry fire, I suggest snap caps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hanibal:

I've heard this too, and dry firing with a rim fired gun like a .22 is supposedly not good either.

I bought some snap caps for my USP45c. Snap caps are expensive but they are built solidly by some company in Italy and you can reuse them as many times as you want. I bought six of them in a package and they have helped me a ton in proper trigger pull and helped me overcome flinching.
Top Top