Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 5:58:30 PM EDT
I was shooting my USP tactical today.  It was sighted in perfectly for Fed American Eagle 230 grain, my main practice round.  I wanted to check the POI with Ranger-T's, and when I shot them, the group was centered about a half inch left at 10 yards.  Could this be  due to differences in the ammo, or is it more likely just a fluke of a group? It was only 1 mag of 12 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it could be the difference in ammo.  My experience has been that ammo types and brands will definitely change POI.  Some will give smaller groups and some will give you more of a pattern than groups!  But to be sure about the Ranger T's you will need to shoot more that 12 rounds.  Try a box or two and see what the POI is like at that point. If that's going to be your defensive load you may need to adjust your sights.

I haven't decided on my carry ammo yet, but when I do I'll readjust my sights for that specific load.

gunfighter48
A 45 may never expand but it will never be less that .45
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I certainly could see shifts in POI from ammo types, but this much sideways?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, I certainly could see shifts in POI from ammo types, but this much sideways?

Yes, changes in torque loading occur too which causes what appears to be lateral shifting of the group.

Notice that the pistol does not recoil straight back when fired but rotates right too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
So today I shot the USP compact with the same two loads-- I actually forgot the tactical...  In any case, the two points of impact were identical.  That makes me think it was probably just a weird group with  the TAC.  Any thoughts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top