Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 3:40:11 PM EDT
Well, needing some holster advice. Here's the situation. I work construction, so wear a tool belt all day. It weights alot fully loaded, and is pretty wide. My work also requires me to be very agile, and I is VERY hot in the summer time, so lots of chaffing to begin with (sorry it that's too much info ).

Anyway, I'm really wanting something that I can put on in the morning, throw my gun in my console while I'm working, and toss right back in the holster when I get back in the truck. That way I don't have to take it on and off several times a day, while rolling in and out of my truck.

I tried my Don Hume holster today, and it wasn't bad, but towards the end of the day I started to noticed it for sure. I think I'll try my Milt Sparks Versa Max tomorrow, but am thinking it will be too stiff.

I've been thinking some kind of other material perhaps. Kydex seems like it would be to agitating, and I'm not sure that nylon would be sturdy enough for a CCW holster (and yes, I'm speaking IWB BTW).

Thought's? Ideas?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
btt for the day crew............
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
For starters, what kind of gun are you carrying? Have you considered an ankle holster (providing your not carrying a full size gun).
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're like me, an ankle holster is no good, as you may be in mud. You never know in the trades (not sure which trade you're in).

My best suggestion, since you seem not to be able to wear the gun with it while working (I can't) would be to get a paddle holster of some type to leave in the vehicle while on the job. Still easy enough to slip on for excusions from the vehicle on the way home. After the shower, on goes the VM-2. Works for me!

Edit: You also don't want all the dirt/dust from the site to be inside a holster you wear all day, then be ground into the finish of your gun when you holster it. Besides, wearing an empty holster while working will tend to flatten or deform the holster anyway.....

If you must leave one on, I'd go for nylon that can easily be hosed out!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I framed houses for a while, and though I did not CCW then, if I wanted CCW in my car to and from work and between jobsites I would have gone for something in a front pocket holster - Smith J frame, Kahr, or similar, then taken it out and locked it in the glove box during the day.  That's another thing - we were doing new developments, and there were people and other crews coming and going all the time, occasionally a crane or boom truck or something would come through and one of the guys would move everyone's vehicle to a different spot while everyone else kept on working ... not sure if you face that at all, but it is a consideration.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My best suggestion, since you seem not to be able to wear the gun with it while working (I can't) would be to get a paddle holster of some type to leave in the vehicle while on the job.

+1

I use Fobus; others like Bladetech.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My best suggestion, since you seem not to be able to wear the gun with it while working (I can't) would be to get a paddle holster of some type to leave in the vehicle while on the job.

+1

...Bladetech.

+2

www.comp-tac.com also makes good kydex stuff.  Friend of mine and competition shooter carries in a comp-tac paddle all the time.  I like the iwb of theirs but for your needs, the paddle IMO would be the ticket.  I have some vertical comp-tac paddles that I play with and they are very comfortable.  good luck
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on what you carry I would see if it would fit on my tool belt. When I worked construction years ago I wore a snubby on an ankle holster.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:50:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think I'd even try to wear a holster under a tool belt, bro, especially in the humidity of MO in the summer.  I was an industrial electrician for a good number of years, and before I made foreman I had the same issues you're asking about.  I tried just about everything, and no matter what I did I ended up with a sore hip that was chapped raw.  

If you're like me, changing sweat-filled shirts at the end of the day before you get in the truck is the norm.  I couldn't STAND to get in my truck filled with sweat stink.  I just kept my paddle holster folded up in my shirt, and would change in the porta John.  When I came out to get in the truck and head home, no one was the wiser I was carrying.

Of course, I kept my piece on me at all times while working.  I used an old multi-meter pouch with a velcro top on my tool belt, and it had a divider in it so the meter was on the bottom and the leads rolled up on top of the partition.  I threw my 45 full size where the meter would go, closed the partition flap, and put some wire nuts on top of the partition so no one ever knew I was packing.  Just looked like a pouch full of wire nuts, even though there were only about a dozen.

At the end of the day, grab my clean shirt with hoster rolled up inside it, enter the J john, remove my piece from the pouch and go concealed under my new shirt, and head home for a frosty one with my tool belt slung over my shoulder.  In 10 years no one ever knew I was carrying and figured I didn't want to leave my tools layin around or drive home in a nasty shirt.

Wonder if them OSHA bastards would have been such peckerwoods if they knew I had 9 rounds of 45 on my belt?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top