Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 1:17:18 PM EDT
Wow... what a frickin brick!

I put one 8rd mag downrange and was able to hit the paper I pointed it at but nothing in particular on it!

It didn't recoil as badly as I had expected but it definately wasn't as natural a shooter as the Ruger .44 I shot a while back..

Seemed like the 1 or 2 good shots I got after I kinda got the hang of it POI was 1-3" lower than POA.

But who knows I've never shot one before and I definately didn't shoot it well!

The funny part was going back to my BHP clone and my 9mm Sig after shooting it.

They felt tame in comparison. almost .22lr-ish.....

So scratch that one off the list.. even as a whizbang woo hoo hand cannon I wouldn't want one..

If I get a 44 mag it'll be in a revolver.

ETA::

I also got to try a Beretta 92 Centurion... Wow... i wasn't terribly impressed by those until I shot one! I really want one now! the slide is so slick and smooth his had these white smooth grips. I quite enjoyed shooting it and I think i need to add one to my collection of 9mms.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Years ago I was looking at a Desert Eagle in a fun shop. After I found out it took two hands to get the safety off, I never looked back.

The Deagle is a big gun.... but at 6' 2" and "XL" hands, I think a handgun should be operable with one hand.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed.. I just jokingly tried holding it with one hand and at 6'1 with mid sized hands I felt like if I tried to shoot it it would have gone over the back of my hand and into my face! I definately needed that second hand to push the front of the grip back into my palm.

wish I woulda had a snap cap I was probably flinching like a little girl.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn!!!

I just bought a .44mag Desert Eagle. I won't pick it up unitl next Weds.  I thought it would have been more accurate.

Oh well, I still will have fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
6' 4", 220, very large hands here.
I can shoot my .50 one handed.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I shot one in .357mag and one .44mag.  Those are definetely hand cannons as far as size.
There is a lot-o-steel in your hands with them. I'm like everyone else, though.
I would take a good revolver in those calibers over a D.E. anytime.
I shot both back in the late eighties and both guys own revolvers now, instead.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Me no likey revolvers that much, but .50 AE's gettin' rare...
I'm considering picking up a .500 S&W BFR...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Damn!!!
I just bought a .44mag Desert Eagle. I won't pick it up unitl next Weds.  I thought it would have been more accurate.

Depends on the ammo, sir. It may prefer the 240gr over the 180gr or vice versa. One brand over another, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
But only 8 rounds in a mag? What if you want to spray and pray??!!111
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Spray 8, reload, spray 8, repeat as necessary.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
6' 4", 220, very large hands here.
I can shoot my .50 one handed.

Oh, I can point it and pull the trigger with one hand. Not a prob....

The problem was that it took two GD hands to OPERATE the gun.
Imagine pulling the gun from a holster with one hand, and being forced to use a second hand to get the safety off so its ready to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I misunderstood...
Not rippin' on ya or anything.

I've got huge hands, I can operate the safety one handed, either hand, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I missed out on one in the paper here a few months ago. Black one with 2 extra mags - $600.

I don't even like them, but for 6 bills, I'll take it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#13]
For me the DE's have kind of a hollywood thing about them. Doesn't do much for me,but there are some that really like them.
Most any semi auto is going to be somewhat picky about what ammo it really likes.
Any .44 mag includeing revolvers get widely different points of impact with the wide range of factory ammo out there.
You know what they say about guys with big feet and big hands?
Big shoes and big gloves!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I missed out on one in the paper here a few months ago. Black one with 2 extra mags - $600.

I don't even like them, but for 6 bills, I'll take it.

The Desert Eagle I bought was a 44 used with one mag for $589.

I am in the same boat, I think it will be a fun gun to shoot but would have never bought one for $1,200 new.

But for $600 I could not pass it up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I shot my sisters husbands .50 and it was fun, and my son-inlaws dad shot an
antelope with one.

They seem like they were built for giants though.

It strikes as kind of cartoonish for me anyway.

GM
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#16]
They're neat but I'd never buy one even for a low price. Shooting my dads and a friend of mine has one and they are purely a novelty gun only in my opinion. I don't see how they could have any real world use other than hunting. I have big hands and I still had trouble getting a good grip on it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
For me the DE's have kind of a hollywood thing about them. Doesn't do much for me,but there are some that really like them.
Most any semi auto is going to be somewhat picky about what ammo it really likes.
Any .44 mag includeing revolvers get widely different points of impact with the wide range of factory ammo out there.
You know what they say about guys with big feet and big hands?
Big shoes and big gloves!!!

Don't forget socks, I have to wrestle them 12-16 size bitches on every day...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]
CDI
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#19]
You don't buy a Desert Eagle for tactical purposes.

It's a target and range gun and should be used and enjoyed as such.  To maximize it's accuracy there are some handling tricks to shooting the cannon that may help you out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 with the 9-1/2" barrel. It was a pure ego buy and a waste of money it was. Its fun to shoot (because of power and looks) but I find it too nose heavy to really shoot accurately. After this, my desire for the DE died.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I misunderstood...

I've got huge hands, I can operate the safety one handed, either hand, no problem.

Yea, I know.....
I didn't want to pass on an opportunity to rant  

The Deagle I tried out in the gun store was new, and probably stiff. I could reach the safety lever, but it was stiff enough that it wouldn't move.

I have since become rather spoiled with some nice 1911s. The safeties on those are very close & quick to reach, and you can apply much greater leverage than with the longer reach for the Deagle safety.

I’ll second Hokie’s statement that it is not a tactical handgun, despite Hollywood’s practice of putting one in every bad guy’s hand and doing muzzle-end close-ups.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It's a target and range gun and should be used and enjoyed as such.  To maximize it's accuracy there are some handling tricks to shooting the cannon that may help you out.

I thought it counted as home artillery??
I miss mine.  Wonder where it is.....

Woody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

I'm sure you think of it everytime you turn on that sweet motorcycle of yours!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woody

I'm sure you think of it everytime you turn on that sweet motorcycle of yours!

Motorcycle went bye-bye last month.  Got tired of paying for it and never getting to ride it.  So does this mean I can get my DE back?  

Woody
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Right on Hokie.

Desert Eagle
Coonan
AutoMag
LAR
1911 GI .50
Widley

All of the magnum semi autos are target/range toys or collector items. The only practical use I can see for a Desert Eagle is for hunting. But until I see how mine shoots I will stick with a S&W 29 6" for hunting.

They are fun to shoot at the range.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just wait until they come out with a Beta C-mag tower for it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I misunderstood...

Yea, I know.....
I didn't want to pass on an opportunity to rant  

The Deagle I tried out in the gun store was new, and probably stiff. I could reach the safety lever, but it was stiff enough that it wouldn't move.

I have since become rather spoiled with some nice 1911s. The safeties on those are very close & quick to reach, and you can apply much greater leverage than with the longer reach for the Deagle safety.

I’ll second Hokie’s statement that it is not a tactical handgun, despite Hollywood’s practice of putting one in every bad guy’s hand and doing muzzle-end close-ups.

Hehe, I got ya.

Anyways, if you push directly up on the pointyish tip of the safety, it should click right up if you do it from the right angle, very easily I might add.

And about the accuracy, paint the front sight orange or green, pretty much fixes the problem.

I love Desert Eagles.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I've heard the DE's in .357 are more accurate than those in .44 or .50.  A revolver is definitely better in those calibers.  It really depends on what you're trying to use it for, safe queen, range toy/plinker, target shooting, hunting, self defense (against 2 and 4 legged predators).  If I wanted a semi-auto that fired a relatively powerful cartridge that I could use for anything except dedicated handgun hunting, I'd go for a Glock 20.  You can do a lot with a 10mm.  If a revolver, I'd go for .357 in a Ruger or S&W (preferably a older S&W).  IMO, you really don't need  .44 mag or higher unless you're hunting large deer (bigger than your typical whitetail or mule), elk, moose or bear, or if you are in an area where kodiak or polar bears pose a threat.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#29]
All Desert Eagles are extremely accurate, you just have to line up the sights right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top