Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
I'm looking at a self-loader in semi-auto, double action/single action, within the price range of $350-$450

The P226 and CZ 75 are both currently at the upper edge of that price range, so they are the primary two that I'm looking at, unless anyone can make any good suggestions for other 9mm handguns. Concealed carry is not legal here in WI so it's not a issue.

What kind of reports do you guys have on the reliability of the CZ 75 vs. the P226?

If I can find a Jericho 941 (Baby eagle) in 9mm for less than 400 when I turn 21 in August I may snatch that up instead. Any other similar options?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have small hands so I own a CZ-75.  Sigs just do not fit me well only reason I don't own one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
depends.

I like the sig because it's a sig and it's a good platform to start learning on. Full size and no external safety. I quite enjoy the location of the decocker and all the controls on my P228 it feels the most natural with factory Sig grips.

The CZ75B is a REALLY nice gun. I don't have one but Ive heard nothing but good about it.

I believe the cz75b has an external safety so if that is a concern one way or the other it could help. This is a similar model to the Browning HiPower except it has double action and the option to carry it cocked and locked.

I already have a sig and a BHP clone. I'd like to get a CZ75B AND a P226 at some point if that tells you anything..

in typical ARFcom fashion I vote BOTH!

But If the shooter is unsure try shooting both and be sure to observe the fact that the shooter can try both a DA/SA trigger AND SA cocked and locked if he gets the CZ..

Also keep in mind theres nothing like a Sig Out of my toys most of my friends want to shoot the sig more than the others.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me say, I own/owned both and you cannot go wrong with either one. Both are top notch guns. Go to a gun shop and check out both.
Pick the one that fits your hand and gives you the best feel.
Sigs are a little more expensive than CZ's but that is up to you whether you feel the extra money is worth it.
I had two CZ 75B's and traded or sold them to buy two Sigs. That's just me!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a cz75 compact decocker.  it is a superb pistol.  i have put a few hundred rounds through a sig p226 but i have to say that with similar feel of weight and recoil the cz75 is much more comfortable in my hands.  the cz75 can be had with either the decocker or the manual safety.  the manual safety version is meant for cocked/locked carry.  i don't much like the position of the controls on the sigs but then again i have small hands.  like was said before though you can't go wrong with either of them.

there are two other pistols you might want to take a look at: eaa witness and ruger p series--either p89 or p95.  i have never shot a witness but by all accounts they are excellent cz75 clones and cheaper too.  the rugers while ugly are virtually impossible to break or jam.  a p95 decocker was my first pistol and it has been good to me.  while i am not a fan of slide mounted controls, the decocker is big and easy to use.  they can also be had in a manual safety version but it is basically a decocker that holds the hammer down.  the main differences are that the p95 has a polymer frame and shorter barrel/slide while the p89 has the longer barrel/slide and alloy frame w/ replacable grips.  you can also get a new ruger for $325-375 depending on model and finish.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]
226 all the way. I just bought one in .357 SIG and I love it. Never shot a more natural psitol. My father-in-law has a Baby Eagle in .40 S&W and he has had nothing but problems with it since the day he brought it home. Never shot a CZ-75 and probably never will. I don't do 9 mm.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Never shot a CZ-75 and probably never will. I don't do 9 mm.

they also come in .40sw fyi.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Love my CZ 75b anniversary and my P220 sig, CZs are very accurate no malfunctions and nicely finished no sharp edges (dehorned) at the muzzle and along the slide so they carry nice for me. I like the way the sig fits my hand slightly better, should be the same for 226.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ75
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#10]
TrooperCody: I think you should double-check your prices.  The CZ75Bs are the best kept secrets in the firearms world.  They should be a whole lot cheaper than Sigs.  I money is a factor, I would go with the CZ75.  But the ultimate determination is what fits your own personal hand, can't go wrong with either, I got both in 9mm Para, but I think both guns are available in 40S&W.  The recoil from the 40S&W is a bit snappier than the 9mm Para, but by no mean unmanageable.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Both are nice handguns I prefer the Sig 226 myself , I have had mine since 1988 still shoots great no problems , but I paid more than 450 for my 226 way back then, GOOD LUCK in your choice
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:40:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the grip angle and shape of the CZ. SIG ergos arent very good to be honest. Good guns, I own three, but CZ is much easier on the hands and muscle reflex.

Look into the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical model. It's more up to date and built very well by any standards. And it holds 19 rounds of 9mm. That is a lot of hurt. I prefer the decocker version, which is the full size version of the P-01 which is the world's perfect 9mm compact...maybe tied with my G19

Either way, CZ's are awesome.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:08:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I prefer the grip angle and shape of the CZ. SIG ergos arent very good to be honest. Good guns, I own three, but CZ is much easier on the hands and muscle reflex.

Look into the CZ75 SP-01 Tactical model. It's more up to date and built very well by any standards. And it holds 19 rounds of 9mm. That is a lot of hurt. I prefer the decocker version, which is the full size version of the P-01 which is the world's perfect 9mm compact...maybe tied with my G19

Either way, CZ's are awesome.

www.cz-usa.com/images/products/73.jpg

the only reason i would be hesitant to suggest the sp-01 is that because it is new it will be more expensive.  the local store here sells the p-01 for the same price as the full size 75b and i would suspect the sp-01 will be a bit more than that--probably around $500 in my area.  

and if cost is an issue for the guns you buy then i am sure ammo budget is an issue as well.  so while the .40sw round is nice, it is also more expensive than 9mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top